Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the laid-back days of old?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Whatever happened to the laid-back days of old?

Old 05-13-19, 07:15 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
This is how the world should look. Changuards, fenders, decent geometry. The absolute worst thing that befell cycling was becoming a sport.
Really?

Cycling has been a sport since nearly Day One.

The beauty of cycling is that there is something for everybody.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-13-19, 07:21 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Thank you for that.
Old 05-13-19, 07:26 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 816 Times in 420 Posts
Bermuda shorts and Kingston Trio shirts notwithstanding, I don't remember many riders riding into their 70s and beyond like today. If it takes a little spandex to keep one moving, count me in. I'm riding exactly the same bike I rode back in the 60s, and I'm almost into my 70s. I didn't wear Bermuda shorts and Kingston Trio shirts on the bike then, and still don't. Graduated from wool kits to spandex and never looked back. Put the toe clips away (except for Eroica), and gone clipless, too. Some day these will be the good ol' days, to somebody.

This is how I remember those days, skinny me on the right.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 05-13-19 at 07:35 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 05-13-19, 08:26 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
This will be something of a 'mosh-pit' of ideas but:

Probably started with the introduction of European-brand bicycles in the 1960s that were much lighter than the Schwinns that were so popular at that time, then the eco movement of the 1970s/1980s that emphasized bicycling as an alternative transportation method. Then the heavily televised 1984 Olympics (both mens and womens road races won by Americans), then the 7-11 team at the Tdf (televised bits of it, including on the nightly news, and the team included camera-comfortable gold medal skater Eric Hieden), then Greg Lemond winning a few TdFs, then Lance winning all those Tdfs on a bicycle sponsored by the USPS (I remember his image on posters in the local post offices). Also throw in the rise of MTBs starting in about the mid-1980s,

These days I'd say there's been a slightly gradual decline to a plateau of sorts, and all the bicycle companies are trying to figure out the next niche. A new American TdF champion would help, too. And an unscientific observation of mine is that far fewer kids ride bicycles to school or around the neighborhood; mom and dad think its just too dangerous so the kids get driven everywhere. There's also an emphasis and proliferation of youth organized sports (soccer, football, basketball, baseball/softball, lacrosse, etc); supposed to be good for developing 'team building skills'? or some crap like that?

Last edited by skidder; 05-13-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 02:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Another article on the history of cycling ... racing. Not from the 1960 ... from the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Early History of the Racing Bicycle

Some of you might have just got into cycling, but cycling has been around a while.

Me personally ... I've been cycling since about 1971.
Old 05-14-19, 03:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
This will be something of a 'mosh-pit' of ideas but:

Probably started with the introduction of European-brand bicycles in the 1960s that were much lighter than the Schwinns that were so popular at that time, then the eco movement of the 1970s/1980s that emphasized bicycling as an alternative transportation method.

Then the heavily televised 1984 Olympics (both mens and womens road races won by Americans), then the 7-11 team at the Tdf (televised bits of it, including on the nightly news, and the team included camera-comfortable gold medal skater Eric Hieden), then Greg Lemond winning a few TdFs, then Lance winning all those Tdfs on a bicycle sponsored by the USPS (I remember his image on posters in the local post offices).

Also throw in the rise of MTBs starting in about the mid-1980s,

These days I'd say there's been a slightly gradual decline to a plateau of sorts, and all the bicycle companies are trying to figure out the next niche. A new American TdF champion would help, too. And an unscientific observation of mine is that far fewer kids ride bicycles to school or around the neighborhood; mom and dad think its just too dangerous so the kids get driven everywhere.

There's also an emphasis and proliferation of youth organized sports (soccer, football, basketball, baseball/softball, lacrosse, etc); supposed to be good for developing 'team building skills'? or some crap like that?
I posted to this thread, "How Many of You People Are Baby-Boomers?"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.
Actually though, as noted above that while I may have had a predilection to get involved in cycling, the boom was already in progress, and did not necessarily entice me to become one of the small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time to become a life-long cycling devotee.

Actually perhaps a stronger prompt might have been the Aerobics phenomenon (by Dr. Ken Cooper) which I recall preceded the cycling boom in 1968
Nice review of the Bicycle Boom of that era, and I think it ended with the development of mountain bikes thus fragmenting the cycling world into special interest groups.
...I posted earlier on this thread: That cross-country trip was one one year after Bikecentennial started, I believe the forerunner of Adventure Cycling.

Being in college in the 1970s, I think I perceived of a Bike Boom as a distinctive phenomenon, as cardio excercise became more acceptable / desirable than in the 50’s; e.g.
the Paul Dudley White bikepath named for Dwight Eisenhower's personal cardiologist and an early advocate of exercise for cardiac fitness
That Boom preceded the mountain bike fad of the1980’s.

And now I’Il politely ask you to get that MTB contraption off my lawn.
Kind of like the fragmentation of communications from the established three TV networks into what we have today. I can spend hours trying to decide what to watch, certainly not "laid back."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-14-19 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 05:12 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah, I still cruise about, upright. I like to see the world. It's not a workout for me.

But I still enjoy the benefits of modern technology. Air suspension, hydraulic brakes, even regenerative energy return. But it's all for a bike that makes leisure riding more.. leisurable.

Some people like setting themselves goals. Getting that sub 4hr marathon time, whatever. For the roadie who's into cadence and distance time chasing, road bikes have naturally come a long way too. Better materials, better designs.

Mountain bikes now are literally for mountains, allowing riders to achieve things they couldn't on a '70s hack.

Whatever your flavour, bikes are better than ever. I guess that's why it's carbon this, grams that..
Old 05-14-19, 05:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
What did Hinault ever do to you?
The 1985 Tour de France. Badger wasn't healthy enough to win and LeMond saved him. Hinault wasn't true to his word in '86, and really didn't help LeMond win. I guess that he's still a bit sore about that...
Old 05-14-19, 05:26 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Well here's a couple of tattered, coffee stained souvenirs from the "laid-back days of old"... American Cycling magazine covers from 1966 and 1967. The publication evolved from a smaller format called American Cycling Newsletter, a small regional California journal. Had you kept your subscription to American Cycling you'd now be getting Bicycling magazine.

April 1966 ^

August 1967 ^

August 1967 index ^
Old 05-14-19, 05:34 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The 1985 Tour de France. Badger wasn't healthy enough to win and LeMond saved him. Hinault wasn't true to his word in '86, and really didn't help LeMond win. I guess that he's still a bit sore about that...
Paul Köechli lied! The team was supposed to work for whoever got the best results.

Old 05-14-19, 07:07 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
A good reliable street bike that was nearly impossible to screw up, and heavier than just about any comparable bike. Among the non-racing types in those days, heaviness often denoted quality because it meant they were solidly built. Hard to believe now.

Schwinn was the brand you bought if you wanted it to last forever.
Originally Posted by Hiro11
"Quality" of these Chicago Schwinns is tough to define.

On one hand, the Varsity is likely one of the most durable bikes ever made. The electro-forging techniques used in the frame are both an amazing advance in mass production techniques and an engineering milestone. The resulting frame is (almost literally) bombproof while being extremely easy to manufacture by the truckload. The electro-forging process was so capital-intensive that no brand has tried anything similar since. The components Schwinn selected for the varsity were similarly practical, functional and tough. The bike was far more durable and reliable than similar offerings from other department store brands. If you see a bike as a mode of transport, a 70's Schwinn Varsity is tough to beat. You still see lots of them in daily use today. Let's see where a modern carbon wonder bike is in 40 years.

On the other hand, the Schwinn Varsity weighed 50 lbs, was not particularly stiff, handled atrociously, didn't shift very well, didn't brake very well, all of the parts were proprietary and in weird sizes, it wasn't comfortable for long rides etc. By any "performance" standard, the Varsity isn't great. Compared to a Campagnolo-equiped European racing bike of similar vintage, the Varsity is a dinosaur.

Of course, competing with (rare at the time in the US) European racing bikes wasn't the Varsity's intent at all. That comparison is meaningless. For its intended market: a durable bike you could use to get around, never maintain and leave out in the rain without issue, it was just about perfect.
Somewhat comparable to modern $200-$300 bikes, I do suppose, based on my prior experiences with some. I don't think modern bikes in the $500-$600 wouldn't be described as many of those!

M.
Old 05-14-19, 07:58 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I was recently introduced to another cycling enthusiast in town because I am "in to cycling". After talking to this guy, I quickly realized he was REALLY into cycling and in a competitive sort of way that was almost obsession. Crit racing CAT 1&2, shaved legs, Strava KOM's. This will never be me. I just enjoy getting out away from things, in to nature, and getting in shape. I do use Strava, but mainly to see how my pace compares to past rides and to add up all of my miles. I enjoyed some mountain bike racing back in the '90's, but it was a very casual gathering compared to today.

I think there's room for the spandex-clad "performance" riders, and the casual weekenders. The more people who get out on bikes the better, and no one should be intimidated by the wannabe racers. Do what makes you happy, and don't get caught up in things that don't.
Old 05-14-19, 08:32 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 224 Posts
I was in DC last month for a fun weekend. I was surprised at how many different kinds of cyclist were out there. There were the tourist on share bikes. Utility cyclist on low end bikes. Commuters on high end and vintage bikes. Even the spandex crowd was out on the roads. Seemed like a full range of "laid back" to "serious" cyclist.
Old 05-14-19, 10:16 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I was recently introduced to another cycling enthusiast in town because I am "in to cycling". After talking to this guy, I quickly realized he was REALLY into cycling and in a competitive sort of way that was almost obsession. Crit racing CAT 1&2, shaved legs, Strava KOM's. This will never be me. I just enjoy getting out away from things, in to nature, and getting in shape. I do use Strava, but mainly to see how my pace compares to past rides and to add up all of my miles. I enjoyed some mountain bike racing back in the '90's, but it was a very casual gathering compared to today.

I think there's room for the spandex-clad "performance" riders, and the casual weekenders. The more people who get out on bikes the better, and no one should be intimidated by the wannabe racers. Do what makes you happy, and don't get caught up in things that don't.
I say this as a joke on myself, but there's a certain amount of truth to it: Normal people have no idea how much work it takes to be a mediocre bike racer. So, if your new friend races, especially as a Cat 1, he's likely putting in hundreds of miles a week and following a structured training plan. It's the minimum buy-in just to sit at the table, if you will.

But that doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy getting into nature and riding his bike. Every racer I know, self included, just loves to ride bikes. All kinds of bikes, all kinds of places. And it's been my experience that the higher up the racing food-chain you go, the friendlier and more enthusiastic about riding they are.
Old 05-14-19, 10:43 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 816 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I say this as a joke on myself, but there's a certain amount of truth to it: Normal people have no idea how much work it takes to be a mediocre bike racer. So, if your new friend races, especially as a Cat 1, he's likely putting in hundreds of miles a week and following a structured training plan. It's the minimum buy-in just to sit at the table, if you will.

But that doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy getting into nature and riding his bike. Every racer I know, self included, just loves to ride bikes. All kinds of bikes, all kinds of places. And it's been my experience that the higher up the racing food-chain you go, the friendlier and more enthusiastic about riding they are.
Exactly. Well said. As an old ex-racer, I still enjoy zipping up the spandex and zipping along the road. If the sun is out, wildflowers are blooming, birds are singing, and monster pickup trucks and SUVs give us a break, so much the better. It's all good, just get out and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-14-19, 11:10 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

I was flattered that our mutual friend thought we could ride together, since he heard I was training for a Century (which is more than most people do, but not anywhere close to as demanding as a competitive racer). But yes, this guy was on a level I couldn't even touch. And even then, still not even close to the upper echelon of the sport. Even among "enthusiasts", there are huge variations within the sport of cycling. And then there are the hoards who just own bikes, commute a couple times a month, or ride with their kids from time to time. There's room for everyone.
Old 05-14-19, 12:00 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I was in DC last month for a fun weekend. I was surprised at how many different kinds of cyclist were out there. There were the tourist on share bikes. Utility cyclist on low end bikes. Commuters on high end and vintage bikes. Even the spandex crowd was out on the roads. Seemed like a full range of "laid back" to "serious" cyclist.
Indeed; I was there at the beginning of April and took a scope around what people were riding. Lots of variety! Ultimately gave me the push to pick up cycling a bit again (and buy the folder I have now - lots of those locked up outside offices).

M.
Old 05-14-19, 04:30 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
IMHO, the majority of riding is still done for recreational, practical and general fitness. Competitive riding gets a lot of the hype and publicity but when I look at what's actually happening in the streets, I rarely see new high-end bikes with people training on a competitive level. Most are commuters, college kids, and recreational/fitness riders on non-competition bikes. I see a lot of flat bars and plump tires out there.

Kudos to the elite riders for their accomplishments, but the biking masses aren't out to win anything, they just like to ride.
Old 05-14-19, 05:45 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Wait. No country for old bicyclists?

I think not good sir!
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 05-14-19, 07:50 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

The photos in the first post show one token older guy and one token female, riding a bike in a dress. The rest are young white guys who look like they may have just graduated from the Hitler youth. I'm sure there wasn't a single black guy, Asian or Latino in America in the 60's.

It's all very disturbing, actually.

Fast forward to 2019. Seems pretty chill.

LOL..............I totally agree. American Schwinn probably went out of business back then because of their weird uptight image. Nobody likes elite bike riding snobs wearing dumbass tennis shorts.
Old 05-14-19, 08:26 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,484 Times in 3,001 Posts
Hondo, Texas has the most chilled out riders. Whoever is riding a bike around town has no other choice Because they got too many DUIs and got their driver license revoked. I’m the only serious rider here it can get lonely out on the back roads I see no one riding a bike. But that is ok I kind of like it like that.
Old 05-14-19, 08:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
This was my neighbor a few weeks ago.

Y'all come down.

Old 05-15-19, 05:56 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
LOL..............I totally agree. American Schwinn probably went out of business back then because of their weird uptight image. Nobody likes elite bike riding snobs wearing dumbass tennis shorts.
I don't have a problem with the people in the ad.

My problem is with advertisers who exploit stereotypes and prejudices for profit and I find it disturbing that people look back at these things with nostalgia. Those ads don't represent real life for 99.9% of America, now or at any time.

-Tim-
Old 05-15-19, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This was my neighbor a few weeks ago.

Y'all come down.

Might want to check applicable laws/ordinances. Many limit the number of riders to the number of seats the bike was designed to have.
Old 05-15-19, 06:20 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
No ad from those eras represented the United States "persona" although some tried to and some tried to influence us. I was pretty young when I pointed out to an older cousin that what she was showing us in Life magazine didn't look anything like the neighborhood or even the city we lived in. But that's just it; we need to remember those sorts of images are promoting a standard for a certain subsect, not the whole population. So ads like the ones showing all the white folks riding existed because back then it was thought these were the people who had the money to buy those products and they were also the people higher up the proverbial income ladder to influence others to buy the product as well.

Schwinn, like all companies, tried to sell first to those who could afford the product and then hoped the product would be used as publicly as possible. Make the image as tasteful and enjoyment fulfilled looking as possible. Make the people using your product look like the social standard of excellence. So people accept the premise that owning your product represents that.

It isn't racist. It's marketing. And it needs to exist this way. Because every product has a cost to manufacture and a cost above [that] in order to keep the company making the product in business. Over time unfettered economics brings the cost of manufacture down as more and more of a given product is sold. Eventually the product filters down into the second hand market and we get the vintage forum.

Vintage forum..... mmmmmmmmm aaauuuuughghghghghghghghg (Homer Simpson)

Last edited by shrtdstncrdr; 05-15-19 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Lisa made me do it
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.