Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommended bike lock?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommended bike lock?

Old 05-14-19, 08:27 AM
NatashaQuick

Bikes: Concord Freedom Deluxe Selecta 12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommended bike lock?

Am I so stupid that I can't find that on this forum or is it just a given?

I posted here some years back before the birth of my daughter and never had the funds to set the bike up with a baby seat and take her along. Right now my car's in the shop, the weather is beautiful, so is my vintage 10-speed and there's a second adult at home to stay with the now 6yo baby while I run errands (until I get her fitted for a new bike herself, she's growing like a weed!) I lost almost all of my accessories when I broke up with my ex-husband.

Some years back I was watching YouTube videos of how to break a u-lock with a ball-point pen. I see the gadget sub-forum but locks aren't mentioned. My bike isn't worth anything monetarily, but it's older than I am and a dream to ride on the road. I store it indoors but I'm not letting that thing get stolen while I'm out getting groceries and such. I believe I can register it with the local PD and just want to know which locks are the best for not being defeated easily by bolt cutters and pens. Most of the stuff I need I can get from Walmart but definitely not opposed to ordering from Amazon. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-19, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NatashaQuick
Am I so stupid that I can't find that on this forum or is it just a given?

I posted here some years back before the birth of my daughter and never had the funds to set the bike up with a baby seat and take her along. Right now my car's in the shop, the weather is beautiful, so is my vintage 10-speed and there's a second adult at home to stay with the now 6yo baby while I run errands (until I get her fitted for a new bike herself, she's growing like a weed!) I lost almost all of my accessories when I broke up with my ex-husband.

Some years back I was watching YouTube videos of how to break a u-lock with a ball-point pen. I see the gadget sub-forum but locks aren't mentioned. My bike isn't worth anything monetarily, but it's older than I am and a dream to ride on the road. I store it indoors but I'm not letting that thing get stolen while I'm out getting groceries and such. I believe I can register it with the local PD and just want to know which locks are the best for not being defeated easily by bolt cutters and pens. Most of the stuff I need I can get from Walmart but definitely not opposed to ordering from Amazon. Thanks in advance!
Well, don't do what I did. I bought a couple of very well-reviewed heavy duty u-locks, a full-size and a mini, used each a couple times and then realized I just didn't want to carry the awkward and heavy things on my bike.

You're parking a not-valuable bike for short times while on errands, so it would be silly to spend a lot unless you're locking it in a very high-crime area. I use a pair of Rocky Mounts Hendrix folding locks. I'm not sure they're the most secure I can get for the money, but they're so easy to carry and use that I know I can be consistent about it. I just figure they're just unfamiliar enough to most opportunistic bike thieves that they'll move onto the next cable lock to cut.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-14-19, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Oh, and

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ck-2018-a.html
Old 05-14-19, 11:45 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The best bike lock is the one that is just a little better than the one on the bike next to you.

Better yet, park next to a bike that's not locked up.

No bike lot is perfect. But almost no bike thief will spend more time messing with your lock when there is an easier to steal bike next to yours.
Old 05-14-19, 11:57 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
This is the bike lock I use: https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-Granit-X.../dp/B00HN47G1M

I'm pretty pleased with it. Just about everything I lock my 20" folder to is quite snug, with little room to try and break it.

Functionality can be extended with a cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allows me to get the front wheel in there as well, and potentially handle two bikes with one U-lock (because my wife usually forgets to bring hers).

With regards to child seats, this is what my wife has on her Fuji: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue we've had with it is that the feet-straps are only really held onto the seat itself through friction - they're just kinda wedged between the foot rests and the rest of the seat. Three-year-old pulls right through those.

M.
Old 05-14-19, 02:09 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Track down a decent quality folding lock. They offer the protection of a U-Lock (close enough) with better carrying convenience. You can't cut them with bolt or cable cutters and they're easy to cart around. ABUS and Kryptonite are available in the US. Trelock and Axa are available internationally. I use and can vouch for Trelock quality.

No lock is completely effective. But, if your lock makes your bike harder to steal than another bike in the same area, which one do you think the thief is gonna try to steal? That's the best you can do.

-Kedosto
Old 05-14-19, 02:43 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Track down a decent quality folding lock. They offer the protection of a U-Lock (close enough) with better carrying convenience. You can't cut them with bolt or cable cutters and they're easy to cart around. ABUS and Kryptonite are available in the US. Trelock and Axa are available internationally. I use and can vouch for Trelock quality.

No lock is completely effective. But, if your lock makes your bike harder to steal than another bike in the same area, which one do you think the thief is gonna try to steal? That's the best you can do.

-Kedosto
Is it the Trelock ringlock you use?

M.
Old 05-14-19, 02:53 PM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I use this one It looks menacing. I've had great luck over the decades with my bike getting not stolen but when I do go places where I MUST leave my bike unattended I carry this. It's burly looking but inexpensive and easily adaptable unlike U-type locks.
Old 05-14-19, 09:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,790 Times in 1,795 Posts
Don't worry about the pen trick for picking U-locks. Most models have modified their locks since then.

Most locks can still be picked but thieves won't bother with that. For awhile the tool of choice was a bolt cutter, but nowadays a battery powered grinder is smaller and quicker. The best defense is to live, shop or park somewhere thieves wouldn't risk. I usually park and lock up to the grocery cart corral right in front of the store. There's an unobstructed view from the store. Lots of people passing. And I know the security guard -- we're both military veterans and chatter often.

On Guard U-locks are excellent values, as good as the popular Kryptonite with better extras: a much better mount for attaching the lock to the bike frame; more spare keys. This one is a good size and value. My bikes cost $200 or less so a lock in the $20-$50 range makes sense.

Don't try to save weight or size. A U-lock that's too small or short will be frustrating to use and end up at home. Been there, done that, got the Kryptonite Series 2 Mini-7 to show for it. Only thing it's good for is sticking in a jersey rear pocket, the waistband of my shorts behind my back or in a jeans pocket -- the frame mount is a PITA, so I removed the mount clip from the shackle so the lock fits a pocket better. The loop is too short to thread through the frame, front wheel and any fixed object. It might make for a passable cafe lock, just locking the frame to a fence or sign, but most of the places I stop allow bikes inside, so I don't even need a mini U-lock.

A U-lock is often quicker to use too. The On Guard clips onto and off the bike in one second, and hold securely on the roughest roads I've ridden. Coiled steel cables are the slowest and least secure -- been there, done that, still use it for my $100 errand bike that nobody would steal anyway. A kid with a pair of utility scissors and 5 minutes of mischief time could cut through it. Unless I'm using grocery panniers on my errand bike, it takes a few extra seconds to coil up the cable and lock and secure it to the bike or saddle. Some folks will use a pouch just to hold cable or chain locks to the bike. A U-lock with good mount is much easier and quicker.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-14-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 10:09 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Generally, a U lock is still the best type, though some very cheap ones can be beaten easily. Buy the best you can justify. I got a Kryptonite Series 2 for the price of a 24 pack of beer.

Whatever you do, do not buy a cable. You might as well save weight and use a length of rope.
Old 05-15-19, 10:21 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
Basic mid-level U-lock from a trusted brand (Kryptonite, Abus, OnGuard). They can no longer be picked with a Bic pen.

Last edited by tyrion; 05-15-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bordo is their folding model, Abus the manufacturer .. German
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secu...cks/BORDO-6000

6 link folding , just under $100, 8 link (reaches a little further) just over a C note..

Granit X 6500 is the most strong , heaviest.. with most nearly unpickable lock cylinder ..

in the Granit level , they have a U lock, a chain lock & an armor sheathed cable lock as well ..
you can get them all in a same key ordered , if you wish ..
even after the fact.. with key code from the 1st,

2nd lock of same kind can be daisy chained to reach around more stuff, to lock up onto.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-15-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 12:17 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Bordo is their folding model, Abus the manufacturer .. German
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secu...cks/BORDO-6000

6 link folding , just under $100, 8 link (reaches a little further) just over a C note..

Granit X 6500 is the most strong , heaviest.. with most nearly unpickable lock cylinder ..

in the Granit level , they have a U lock, a chain lock & an armor sheathed cable lock as well ..
you can get them all in a same key ordered , if you wish ..
even after the fact.. with key code from the 1st,

2nd lock of same kind can be daisy chained to reach around more stuff, to lock up onto.

I've considered getting one of those folding locks but I have heard the joints are vulnerable. Would be nice for trips out to the store where theft is quite unlikely (but I feel foolish not locking up at all). Or as a replacement front-wheel lock that's more compact than the cable I have right now.

It says it can be ordered "key aliked" so I wonder if they can machine the lock on that folder to use the same key as my current U-lock, or if that just means I can get 2+ of the folder with the same lock/key is all.

M.
Old 05-15-19, 12:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

You have the GRANIT XPlus™ 540 U-Lock ? https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/L...HB230?type=pdp

the code number off your X-Plus Key card, can be used to have your Abus Lock Dealer
order another lock that would use the same key..

BTW Everything is vulnerable if the Thief has the right tools...
will they buy more Meth or buy more powerful tools, where you live ? IDK ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-15-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 12:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

6000 is offered in a keyed alike packaged pair.. https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/H...et-ST?type=pdp

I got the XL longer bars, version , to go with my 6500 granit X,,, its carry system is different from the pouches .....
Old 05-15-19, 01:37 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Is it the Trelock ringlock you use?

M.
I've considered getting one of those folding locks but I have heard the joints are vulnerable. Would be nice for trips out to the store where theft is quite unlikely (but I feel foolish not locking up at all). Or as a replacement front-wheel lock that's more compact than the cable I have right now.

It says it can be ordered "key aliked" so I wonder if they can machine the lock on that folder to use the same key as my current U-lock, or if that just means I can get 2+ of the folder with the same lock/key is all.

M.
I use the Trelock Trigo. It’s a mid level folding lock which, for me, balances nicely the considerations of weight, protection and functionality.

Folding locks provide strong protection, yet they also fold and wrap around fixed objects almost like a cable lock. Folding locks also pack down nicely into convenient holsters which make them easy to carry around. Folding locks can be purchased in pairs or even triples for keyed-alike service, but I’ve only seen them offered in keyed-alike configurations internationally.

I suppose the hinge pins would be an area of focus for a thief, yet I’ve never seen it happen. It’s common knowledge that a powered cutting wheel can render even the toughest locks useless in a matter of minutes, so I hardly find it worthwhile to worry about pins or lock picking stories.

There isn’t a lock made that’s 100% effective. Not one. So considering this, I base my choice of lock on practical realities like ease of use, effectiveness, and cost.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-15-19, 02:06 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by Kedosto
I use the Trelock Trigo. It’s a mid level folding lock which, for me, balances nicely the considerations of weight, protection and functionality.

Folding locks provide strong protection, yet they also fold and wrap around fixed objects almost like a cable lock. Folding locks also pack down nicely into convenient holsters which make them easy to carry around. Folding locks can be purchased in pairs or even triples for keyed-alike service, but I’ve only seen them offered in keyed-alike configurations internationally.

I suppose the hinge pins would be an area of focus for a thief, yet I’ve never seen it happen. It’s common knowledge that a powered cutting wheel can render even the toughest locks useless in a matter of minutes, so I hardly find it worthwhile to worry about pins or lock picking stories.

There isn’t a lock made that’s 100% effective. Not one. So considering this, I base my choice of lock on practical realities like ease of use, effectiveness, and cost.

-Kedosto
Cheers; my U-lock fits nicely enough in my backpack or on my rear-rack with some velcro straps, but I have been considering other options. Yours is pretty expensive looking, though - $200 on Amazon. Almost double my U-lock and about half the cost of my current bike (though I suppose strength to portability is a premium in its own right). With the mounting bracket / packs I've seen for most folding locks it seems like it would work fine on my seat tube for when I don't want to carry a backpack at all - rare, mind, but sometimes.

M.
Old 05-15-19, 02:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Cheers; my U-lock fits nicely enough in my backpack or on my rear-rack with some velcro straps, but I have been considering other options. Yours is pretty expensive looking, though - $200 on Amazon. Almost double my U-lock and about half the cost of my current bike (though I suppose strength to portability is a premium in its own right). With the mounting bracket / packs I've seen for most folding locks it seems like it would work fine on my seat tube for when I don't want to carry a backpack at all - rare, mind, but sometimes.

M.
About $62 bucks (plus shipping) from here. It’s the same one I have. Mounts on a bottle cage mount. But, if you’re happy with the U-lock, stick with it.

-Kedosto

-
Old 05-15-19, 02:53 PM
fat2fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I have a kryptonite chain lock. Great lock, solid price. I registered my "keys" and they insure the lock up to $500.

$50 Canadian (around $30-$40 US)

https://www.amazon.ca/Kryptonite-Kee...15580348&psc=1
Old 05-15-19, 06:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Most any lock, regardless of how cheesy, is going to be about 90% effective. That's because it requires the thief to have a tool with him so it eliminates the theft-of-opportunity guys.

As you go from 90% to 99% effective you enter into a progressively more bulky and more expensive game of one-up-man-ship with the thief.

You will ultimately lose that game. Anything that one man can make can be cut by another man who is properly equipped.
Old 05-15-19, 06:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
ABUS ABUS ABUS and ABUS. Don't bother with the rest. Seriously don't and don't worry about little stickers on the lock that say "sold secure" or "gold rated" or whatever council of what not has rated the lock. Usually for most companies that means they built a lock specifically to pass that test and go no further however ABUS happily will take their locks steps further because they are not building to a test but building a quality secure lock for actually usage.

I was talking with Kryptonite and they were showing off their new folding locks (a poor copy of the Bordo which ABUS invented) and I asked "why such a low security rating?" and the answer was "we couldn't make part of our lock very secure." Ouch not a good thing to hear when talking locks. Their heavy duty 12mm chain was broken in 2 hits from a sledgehammer while the ABUS 8mm chain is still fine barely a mark on it after enough hits to make several people tired and give up.

ABUS owns their own factories so the locks made in Germany and in Asia are made using the same ABUS designed equipment, the same virgin steel that uses their tempering and hardening the only difference is the ethnic make up of the employees and of course the lower security locks are coming from Asia. However those locks are still going to be harder to get in then an even some more expensive locks from other manufacturers. Also with some of their locks you can get them keyed alike meaning you can key them to other locks from u-locks to folding locks to frame locks to even padlocks as well as some e-bikes (Bosch and some Brose stuff). That means having one key code for many locks so when your kids get older and need locking solutions you can have one key for all the family locks so if someone loses a key you have plenty of backups (generally each lock will have 2-3 keys and a key code card to order more)

When buying a lock always ask yourself the question, if someone right now said I can give you $X (where X is the cost of the lock) to get your bike back would you pay that? Generally you would say yes, I know I would that is why I use high quality locks and am happy to spend the money on them if it means I don't have to spend money buying a new bike to replace a stolen one.

I have the Bordo Granit X-Plus and love it. I can easily mount it on my frame and don't really notice the weight but if I were to get something of similar security from another manufacturer the weight would be much higher and probably not as easy to carry. Granted your situation currently may not call for that lock but they make lower security Bordos that are still quite excellent like the 6000 which can be plus keyed and is still a 10 out of 15 and if you want to protect wheels and seatposts from getting stolen get some NutFix stuff and so long as the bike is locked up properly they cannot flip the bike on its side and if they do they will need an 8mm open end wrench which is a common tool but one a thief might not carry.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-16-19, 08:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

when Kryptonite offered an exchange for The round cylinder D locks , when the Bic Cap hack became news,

the replacements were sourced in PRC..

Old 05-18-19, 02:41 AM
allout1

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I researched this subject quite a lot when I started getting back into bikes.

The truth is that it's not a lock that'll save you your financial losses after the bike is ran off with. It's what you do before that.

#1 . Don't buy an expensive bike.
#2 . Live where "they" don't live with they being the type that needs stolen money bag bikes.

Nothing can save your bike. That's fact that has been proven time and time again. Research this online. You'll see. It's a cash bag bike, and it only takes a $10 used grinder to saw anything you have in 60 seconds or less. If the feller is armed, it's a scarentee the profit is upon him.

I got nothing invested in mine, and I have the cheapest bike cable you can get: $7. It's very light weight, coiled, cable, coated in plastic, three little combination numbers, and it clips lock real easy like.

I figured out that yee ole sumbich'll take a real bike, not my bike, and just to be sure any ole, zen minded, fun loving stud in the territory don't grab my bike off the rack outside the gym for the random, drop o' the hat, joy ride...hehe...I put that little cable on it.

Will I always have wheels? You darin right. What'll I lose if it'll happen? Not a whole lot. Rust on a bike handle bar is key to this whole safety and security twist by the way, and it's free of charge. Bikes all of the time going cheap on craigslist that come free with this necessary feature in my hapharded opinion. For the price of three of them, you still can't lose more than the price of one of the Jetson's bikeys. They're twenty and thirty dollars a twiece.

Got carbon on that bike? Don't park it you know where because that's a anti security magnet. Bike hunters lookin' for carb bike meat.
Old 05-18-19, 08:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I have a NL made Koga with a ring lock fitting on the frame (you ride with the key in it, to have the lock open)

and got a 1.4M chain that plugs into the lock, and the chain secures the front wheel
and the bike to a sign post, or the bike rack..

Axa, NL, made that set , but Abus has their own products of that sort..

Old 05-18-19, 09:31 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This is the bike lock I use: https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-Granit-X.../dp/B00HN47G1M

I'm pretty pleased with it. Just about everything I lock my 20" folder to is quite snug, with little room to try and break it.

Functionality can be extended with a cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allows me to get the front wheel in there as well, and potentially handle two bikes with one U-lock (because my wife usually forgets to bring hers).

With regards to child seats, this is what my wife has on her Fuji: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue we've had with it is that the feet-straps are only really held onto the seat itself through friction - they're just kinda wedged between the foot rests and the rest of the seat. Three-year-old pulls right through those.

M.
IM actually going to pick up this one for my bike soon.. this Granit X 540 and the GRANIT X Extreme 59 are the best Ulocks on the market

Right now I use the ABUS Bordo 6500 Granit X Plus Which is a folding lock.. Many of the usual ways thieves steal a bike this lock will thwart..
It's hard on bolt cutters, hard to pick, it's unfamiliar and heavy duty.. It doesn't have the design flaw that the 5700 has..
an angle grinder and a Bolt splitter are the two main ways to break my lock.. an angle grinder can take down pretty much any lock..

I use a cable as a secondary but I will be getting either a second folding lock.. or a ulock to add to my bike security..
I normally do not leave my bike unattended when out for long so generally what I use should be suffice for most.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.