Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommended bike lock?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommended bike lock?

Old 05-18-19, 09:43 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
6000 is offered in a keyed alike packaged pair.. https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/H...et-ST?type=pdp

I got the XL longer bars, version , to go with my 6500 granit X, its carry system is different from the pouches .....
I love my 6500 and it mounts well to my bike.. I have a L frame which was no problem for it to fit.. I am considering the 6000 as a secondary.
I will eventually buy a bunch of locks just to have.
I do want the Abus Granit 540 as well as the Abus Bordo 6000 .
Also by Abus.. the ABUS 6100 Folding Combo Lock is great if you don't want to carry keys with you.. or if you already have a keyed lock and want a second without the hassle of carrying a second set..
The ABUS Bordo 6000 Twinset as posted already is a great deal if you are looking to buy two locks right away.

Another good choice is from Kryptonite which is the New York Lock Fahgettaboutit Which has been found to be extremely hard to break..

Last edited by Juggy_Gales; 05-18-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 12:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Originally Posted by allout1
I researched this subject quite a lot when I started getting back into bikes.

The truth is that it's not a lock that'll save you your financial losses after the bike is ran off with. It's what you do before that.

#1 . Don't buy an expensive bike.
#2 . Live where "they" don't live with they being the type that needs stolen money bag bikes.

Nothing can save your bike. That's fact that has been proven time and time again. Research this online. You'll see. It's a cash bag bike, and it only takes a $10 used grinder to saw anything you have in 60 seconds or less. If the feller is armed, it's a scarentee the profit is upon him.

I got nothing invested in mine, and I have the cheapest bike cable you can get: $7. It's very light weight, coiled, cable, coated in plastic, three little combination numbers, and it clips lock real easy like.

I figured out that yee ole sumbich'll take a real bike, not my bike, and just to be sure any ole, zen minded, fun loving stud in the territory don't grab my bike off the rack outside the gym for the random, drop o' the hat, joy ride...hehe...I put that little cable on it.

Will I always have wheels? You darin right. What'll I lose if it'll happen? Not a whole lot. Rust on a bike handle bar is key to this whole safety and security twist by the way, and it's free of charge. Bikes all of the time going cheap on craigslist that come free with this necessary feature in my hapharded opinion. For the price of three of them, you still can't lose more than the price of one of the Jetson's bikeys. They're twenty and thirty dollars a twiece.

Got carbon on that bike? Don't park it you know where because that's a anti security magnet. Bike hunters lookin' for carb bike meat.
This is mostly terrible advice. Yes it is true a lot of locks can be gotten into with a big tool with perfect conditions but unfortunately we are in the real world and that isn't practical. Most thieves are carrying smaller tools and are looking for the easy targets like those with cable locks or cheap locks. Some are more professional but even still with a good quality lock that uses properly tempered and hardened steel they are less likely to be able to take it within that 30-60 second window especially if locked up right and not left hidden somewhere so a thief has more time. Obviously a lot of stuff goes out the door when the bike is left overnight somewhere but you wouldn't want to do that.

No one should relegate themselves to garbage because lazy locking and cheap locks seem easier. You can have a good quality bike and keep it locked. I know plenty of folks in a high theft area with fairly high dollar bikes who haven't gotten a bike stolen because they use good locks and good locking practices. Cables are really not locks so much as bike to pole holders to prevent casual unlocked walk aways but cables are so easy to get through thieves love to see them it makes their job easier.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-18-19, 01:01 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
IM actually going to pick up this one for my bike soon.. this Granit X 540 and the GRANIT X Extreme 59 are the best Ulocks on the market

Right now I use the ABUS Bordo 6500 Granit X Plus Which is a folding lock.. Many of the usual ways thieves steal a bike this lock will thwart..
It's hard on bolt cutters, hard to pick, it's unfamiliar and heavy duty.. It doesn't have the design flaw that the 5700 has..
an angle grinder and a Bolt splitter are the two main ways to break my lock.. an angle grinder can take down pretty much any lock..

I use a cable as a secondary but I will be getting either a second folding lock.. or a ulock to add to my bike security..
I normally do not leave my bike unattended when out for long so generally what I use should be suffice for most.
I'm actually considering a bordo myself as a secondary - tougher and less bulky than the Abus cable so it might be good for securing the front wheel at least. Or as a more compact primary lock.

Bike theft in my area is largely opportunity it seems. I had one stolen years ago that I didn't lock up at all - left it outside while I went in to get something, got held up, and it was gone - but I actually managed to steal it back only a few days later. The lock I used to use back when I was a lifestyle / utility cycle was just a four-letter combo cable lock (sometimes one, sometimes two), and it's never been an issue. Most people who ride around here do not bother at all - the "serious" cyclists don't stop anywhere, and people who do stop somewhere don't seem to care if their bike walks off. Hell, it might not even be theirs in the strictest sense for all I know.

I will say the 540 is just "neat" in its own right, in addition to being secure.

M.
Likes For MEversbergII:
Old 05-18-19, 01:37 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I'm actually considering a bordo myself as a secondary - tougher and less bulky than the Abus cable so it might be good for securing the front wheel at least. Or as a more compact primary lock.

Bike theft in my area is largely opportunity it seems. I had one stolen years ago that I didn't lock up at all - left it outside while I went in to get something, got held up, and it was gone - but I actually managed to steal it back only a few days later. The lock I used to use back when I was a lifestyle / utility cycle was just a four-letter combo cable lock (sometimes one, sometimes two), and it's never been an issue. Most people who ride around here do not bother at all - the "serious" cyclists don't stop anywhere, and people who do stop somewhere don't seem to care if their bike walks off. Hell, it might not even be theirs in the strictest sense for all I know.

I will say the 540 is just "neat" in its own right, in addition to being secure.

M.
I liked the Bordo 6500 because it mounted nicely to one of the bottle mounts on my frame and it comes in a thick high quality rubber case that takes any vibration out of it. Ive debated getting a second folding lock for portability reasons.. I do have a third bottle mount under the frame..
It's disheartening that any lock can be beaten with the right tool.. but the Key is.. don't leave a bike too long anywhere.. and try to lock it up better than other bikes in the area..
Your 540 Lock is a great main lock and I hope I can pick one up. How do you have yours mounted?
Old 05-18-19, 01:45 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is mostly terrible advice. Yes it is true a lot of locks can be gotten into with a big tool with perfect conditions but unfortunately we are in the real world and that isn't practical. Most thieves are carrying smaller tools and are looking for the easy targets like those with cable locks or cheap locks. Some are more professional but even still with a good quality lock that uses properly tempered and hardened steel they are less likely to be able to take it within that 30-60 second window especially if locked up right and not left hidden somewhere so a thief has more time. Obviously a lot of stuff goes out the door when the bike is left overnight somewhere but you wouldn't want to do that.

No one should relegate themselves to garbage because lazy locking and cheap locks seem easier. You can have a good quality bike and keep it locked. I know plenty of folks in a high theft area with fairly high dollar bikes who haven't gotten a bike stolen because they use good locks and good locking practices. Cables are really not locks so much as bike to pole holders to prevent casual unlocked walk aways but cables are so easy to get through thieves love to see them it makes their job easier.
I agree that it is terrible advice.. Yea.. don't own a quality product because bad people exist.. No one wants their stuff stolen.. But come on.. you should be able to have nice things and secure them as best as you can.. Having 2 locks on a Bike will definitely thwart most thieves.. unless they REALLY want your bike..
If you have a bike in the multi thousand dollar range.. then Id say DO NOT LEAVE THAT ANYWHERE unattended... and if you have to.. Invest in the best locks.

My Bike is at the Thousand dollar range and may be a target for many thieves.. so I try to lock it as securely as possible.. Normally My bike is in eye view from wherever I am..
Saying that I am about to ride it to the store.. I will lock it as securely as possible
Old 05-18-19, 01:51 PM
MEversbergII

I liked the Bordo 6500 because it mounted nicely to one of the bottle mounts on my frame and it comes in a thick high quality rubber case that takes any vibration out of it. Ive debated getting a second folding lock for portability reasons.. I do have a third bottle mount under the frame..
It's disheartening that any lock can be beaten with the right tool.. but the Key is.. don't leave a bike too long anywhere.. and try to lock it up better than other bikes in the area..
Your 540 Lock is a great main lock and I hope I can pick one up. How do you have yours mounted?
Cheers; I have an unused bottle mount on mine so if it bolts there nicely that's extra credit.

My 540 is actually not really frame mounted - the only bike I have on the road at the moment is an Origami Crane 8 (the grey one), and there's not anywhere to really bolt the mount it comes with to. Seat tube is occupied with my tool bag, and the steering tube is too wide. I usually have it in a backpack (sits pretty nicely against my back in this one), but I can also strap it down to my rear rack pretty readily with velcro straps I carry anyways. I have thought about rigging something up to suspend it from the handle bars, but now I've got a horn and light there so that's trickier now (and pretty low priority besides).

M.
Old 05-18-19, 02:05 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cheers; I have an unused bottle mount on mine so if it bolts there nicely that's extra credit.

My 540 is actually not really frame mounted - the only bike I have on the road at the moment is an Origami Crane 8 (the grey one), and there's not anywhere to really bolt the mount it comes with to. Seat tube is occupied with my tool bag, and the steering tube is too wide. I usually have it in a backpack (sits pretty nicely against my back in this one), but I can also strap it down to my rear rack pretty readily with velcro straps I carry anyways. I have thought about rigging something up to suspend it from the handle bars, but now I've got a horn and light there so that's trickier now (and pretty low priority besides).

M.
After getting hit by a car in Feb and nearly getting hit dozens of other times by drivers with their head up their asses.. I also bought a Horn.. I ended up getting the Hornit off of Amazon.. It was on sale for $20.. It's pretty loud and has alerted drivers.. still some are gonna be morons..
I do have a Rack on my bike so yea If needed I could strap it to that pretty easily.. I Have to get more velcro straps should any do fine or what would you recommend? just basic ones off of amazon or in walmart?

Depending on what I am doing.. sometimes I even run 2 lights.. I want to be seen lol.. I have a wide flood light and a beam light.. that combined light up everything very well.. sometimes I may have one flash to be seen better and the other steady flood beam so I can see.

That's a great Bag.. I love one shoulder back packs
Old 05-18-19, 02:15 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

the only bike I have on the road at the moment is an Origami Crane 8 (the grey one)

M.
That is a neat folding bike.. $399 bad ass.. That crank set looks HUGE on that bad boy.
Old 05-18-19, 02:40 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, alarmist stories about the security of bike locks are part are just a feature of the Internet that are worth ignoring. Most of us get around just fine with a modest bike and a modest lock, outside of unique places like NYC. I use a chain and a combination padlock.

Can a bike be stolen? Sure. But I figure that the risk is low enough to be acceptable
Old 05-18-19, 03:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
Most people who write here about getting a bike stolen have either forgotten to lock it, or they had a pretty weak lock cut. Or someone stole part of their bike. Stories about u locks getting destroyed are pretty rare. If I think there’s a real risk I like to lock my bike olde fashioned style, with the front wheel removed and in the the U. I haven’t figured out how to do that with Maxles, though. I have a pretty small Kryptonite lock I got at Walmart 10+ years ago, it’s the same one they still sell. I have thought about their Messenger model which is supposed to be harder-to-cut metal but never yet decided to actually buy. I don’t think anyone has posted about getting a New York or Fuhgeddaboutit defeated by a real thief and not a YouTube personality.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-18-19 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 06:19 PM
MEversbergII

After getting hit by a car in Feb and nearly getting hit dozens of other times by drivers with their head up their asses.. I also bought a Horn.. I ended up getting the Hornit off of Amazon.. It was on sale for $20.. It's pretty loud and has alerted drivers.. still some are gonna be morons..
I do have a Rack on my bike so yea If needed I could strap it to that pretty easily.. I Have to get more velcro straps should any do fine or what would you recommend? just basic ones off of amazon or in walmart?

Depending on what I am doing.. sometimes I even run 2 lights.. I want to be seen lol.. I have a wide flood light and a beam light.. that combined light up everything very well.. sometimes I may have one flash to be seen better and the other steady flood beam so I can see.

That's a great Bag.. I love one shoulder back packs
I have used the basic straps that came with the bike, which are just basic nylon velcro straps. They held just fine, though if you were to buy some I'd try and find straps with the velcro all the way down to the loop - a large stretch of my straps have no velcro on them so I have to get a little creative if I want it to be a tight tie-down.

I use a knock-off Hornit by "Daway" - it was like $10 or so and is still quite loud (~120 db according to the box). My lights are less budget - I have a 500 lumen Cygolite. I rode for years with some $15 Bell brand front and rear that were probably at best 50 lumen, so these things are awesome.

That is a neat folding bike.. $399 bad ass.. That crank set looks HUGE on that bad boy.
Yeah, it's a decent bike - I wrote a short review of it a little while ago but it didn't gain much traction unfortunately.

Which reminds me, I still need to build that trailer...

M.
Old 05-18-19, 08:22 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have used the basic straps that came with the bike, which are just basic nylon velcro straps. They held just fine, though if you were to buy some I'd try and find straps with the velcro all the way down to the loop - a large stretch of my straps have no velcro on them so I have to get a little creative if I want it to be a tight tie-down.

I use a knock-off Hornit by "Daway" - it was like $10 or so and is still quite loud (~120 db according to the box). My lights are less budget - I have a 500 lumen Cygolite. I rode for years with some $15 Bell brand front and rear that were probably at best 50 lumen, so these things are awesome.

Yeah, it's a decent bike - I wrote a short review of it a little while ago but it didn't gain much traction unfortunately.

Which reminds me, I still need to build that trailer...

M.
The Daway one looks like it works just fine.. The Only got the Hornit because it was on sale.. I doubt it's really any louder and looks the same on the outside.
I think the Daway has more sounds.. the Hornit only has 2. Does the Daway take batteries or is the battery internal?

That light looks good.. the lights I got were rather generic..
I got this BICYGO Light for $19.99 and its more of a flood light and is quite bright and it has a big battery.
This secondary Light N N Oranie is more of a Beam light and was $22 I usually leave this one flashing to make myself more visable to others
While the other light is bright so I can see well.
For my Tail light.. This thing is bright as hell I leave it on flashing also to be seen.
The Blitzu Cyborg works very well.
Old 05-18-19, 09:23 PM
MEversbergII

The Daway one looks like it works just fine.. The Only got the Hornit because it was on sale.. I doubt it's really any louder and looks the same on the outside.
I think the Daway has more sounds.. the Hornit only has 2. Does the Daway take batteries or is the battery internal?

That light looks good.. the lights I got were rather generic..
I got this BICYGO Light for $19.99 and its more of a flood light and is quite bright and it has a big battery.
This secondary Light N N Oranie is more of a Beam light and was $22 I usually leave this one flashing to make myself more visable to others
While the other light is bright so I can see well.
For my Tail light.. This thing is bright as hell I leave it on flashing also to be seen.
The Blitzu Cyborg works very well.
The Bicygo light was one I considered but ended up going name-brand since some people here could vouch for them. I've a pair of these stuffed in my bag as a backup, in case my main light dies while I'm on the road (not been an issue yet). They're not nearly as bright, but good enough to be seen by - especially in the dark. Alongside that is a reflector vest. I've a bike bag taking up my entire seat tube so the Cyborg would be a bad fit - I usually keep my rear light clipped to my backback, since there's not actually anywhere really good to mount it on my frame for this bike. I have been meaning to find a light or reflector that can screw-mount to the rear rack, though, since it is there and it would be nice to have a fixed backup.

The horn takes two AAAs so you can always bring a spare set (which I do) in case it does out on the go or something. Sort of a downside with these real powerful lights is that they're largely USB charged now, so you can't really solve a dead battery on the go too easily. Been meaning to try those portable USBs but it's pretty low priority overall.

M.
Old 05-19-19, 09:03 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Check this post out --> https://www.bikeforums.net/19208363-post49.html
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 05-19-19, 06:57 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Thanks for that; might be worth giving a shot in the future.

M.
Old 05-20-19, 01:37 AM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes that looks like a very viable solution
Old 05-21-19, 09:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I use the Trelock Trigo. It’s a mid level folding lock which, for me, balances nicely the considerations of weight, protection and functionality.

Folding locks provide strong protection, yet they also fold and wrap around fixed objects almost like a cable lock. Folding locks also pack down nicely into convenient holsters which make them easy to carry around. Folding locks can be purchased in pairs or even triples for keyed-alike service, but I’ve only seen them offered in keyed-alike configurations internationally.

I suppose the hinge pins would be an area of focus for a thief, yet I’ve never seen it happen. It’s common knowledge that a powered cutting wheel can render even the toughest locks useless in a matter of minutes, so I hardly find it worthwhile to worry about pins or lock picking stories.

There isn’t a lock made that’s 100% effective. Not one. So considering this, I base my choice of lock on practical realities like ease of use, effectiveness, and cost.

-Kedosto
I use a pair of the RockyMounts Hendrix locks, and my reasoning is about the same as yours. Above a certain minimum of security (no cable for me), the biggest variable in security of the bike is going to be whether or not I bother to use the lock, so the convenience of carrying and deploying it is as important as just about any other factor. I just find U-locks very inconvenient for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that the narrowness that makes them secure also makes it much harder to find something to lock the bike to effectively.
Old 05-21-19, 09:19 AM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
where can you buy that?
Old 05-21-19, 08:18 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

where can you buy that?

The Germans

Bike-components.de

https://www.bike-components.de/en/AB...aZy-KF-p22198/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/AB...-Mount-p22096/

They also sell versions of the X-Plus 540 combined with the EaZy-KF system at a much better price combined.

Annoyingly, I can't tell if the U clamp is included with the below.

Logically it should be, but I can't see it from the listing, even though it appears in one of the photo's.

So if you email them, hopefully they will clear that up.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/AB...Holder-p37822/

A few things to keep in mind, if you are not logged into that website and/or they don't pick up that you are outside of the EU, they may be applying the 19/20% VAT to the listed price.

Once their system sees you are from America, the price should adjust downwards, if it hasn't already.

Also, because like most of the German E-tailers, they have a flat postage cost, if you decide to get some other items you want, it allows you to amortize the postage cost over multiple items.

After looking around, I'm sure you will agree that they have very good pricing on everything, so if you need tyres, tubes, tools, brake pads etc, get them together in one largish order, and the postage cost becomes trivial.

HiBike

https://www.hibike.com/abus-bar-clam...3#var_96440195

https://www.hibike.com/abus-eazy-kf-...a#var_96440192

https://www.hibike.com/abus-granite-...0#var_96440544

The situation with HiBike is pretty much the same as with Bike-components.de, in that I don't know if the U-clamp is included when you buy the U-lock+EaZy-KF combo.

Unless you get confirmation that they are, I would order the U-clamp in addition to buying the U-Lock+EaZy-KF combo.
Old 05-21-19, 08:33 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

where can you buy that?
In my previous post where I mentioned that you should consider doing a largish order of various things you want and need, so to reduce the postage hit, one of the best things I ordered from the German E-tailers were various forms of Racktime Racks.

I love the simplicity of their connection system of baskets and bags into their racks, plus they are rated for 30kgs, lighter than many of its rivals, has a great range of rack add-ons and is priced very well for such an obviously high quality product.

They have the largest quick release rear basket one can find, and has been very useful for me when doing my grocery shopping.

Just throwing it out there.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ra...t-Rack-p22077/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ra...raeger-p21626/

https://www.hibike.com/racktime-rack...6#var_87070007

https://www.hibike.com/racktime-rack...6#var_87070005
Old 05-22-19, 04:56 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Commuting I carry a cable and a u lock. I ran into something on YouTube where a guy used o rings to deal with the rattling. I really am not concerned with another half kilo, loaded up am around 15 as is. Normal riding I sometimes carry a cable lock in my jersey pocket, just depends on stops, etc
Old 05-24-19, 02:20 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
For commuting, prolonged parking, parking in the city, or more expensive bikes I always use a U-lock. I hate carrying it though, so for recreational rides with the family or road training rides I will bring a pinky-sized cable lock. I know that it can be cut easily but better than nothing. I am planning on upgrading to a folding lock. I thought the Ottolock hex band was somewhat secure but this disproves it:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/best...bike-security/

The question is - how much will thieves want your bike and what will they be willing to do to get it?
Old 05-24-19, 07:53 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by autonomy
For commuting, prolonged parking, parking in the city, or more expensive bikes I always use a U-lock. I hate carrying it though, so for recreational rides with the family or road training rides I will bring a pinky-sized cable lock. I know that it can be cut easily but better than nothing. I am planning on upgrading to a folding lock. I thought the Ottolock hex band was somewhat secure but this disproves it:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/best...bike-security/

The question is - how much will thieves want your bike and what will they be willing to do to get it?
Wow, it's like they didn't even test their own product.

M.
Old 07-14-19, 01:39 PM
jetlagged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New to this forum and looking for a folding bike. but i definitely think that having 2 different sets of lock that's high quality and difficulty to cut and break is a must, especially in the city. whenever i ride my old beatup bike, there's a reason why i don't see any folders parked and locked in front of a bike rack. from what i read, it's just a thief magnet. another thief deterrent is to have store security keep an eye on your bike if possible for that short time. when i buy a folder (still looking for a good used affordable one that's 9 speed) i would probably buy a u-lock and a compact folding lock

i once read a review of a folding bike where the guy wrote something like, folding bikes is just a rental until a thief can steal it"

Last edited by jetlagged; 07-14-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:55 AM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by jetlagged
New to this forum and looking for a folding bike. but i definitely think that having 2 different sets of lock that's high quality and difficulty to cut and break is a must, especially in the city. whenever i ride my old beatup bike, there's a reason why i don't see any folders parked and locked in front of a bike rack. from what i read, it's just a thief magnet. another thief deterrent is to have store security keep an eye on your bike if possible for that short time. when i buy a folder (still looking for a good used affordable one that's 9 speed) i would probably buy a u-lock and a compact folding lock

i once read a review of a folding bike where the guy wrote something like, folding bikes is just a rental until a thief can steal it"
I ride pretty much exclusively a folder these days; I don't think they're any more a magnet than a regular bike. Ride-away would be about the same, and while the smaller bike might be easier to carry off, if they're not riding away they're putting it in a truck anyways.

I'm in the same camp, though - two lock types. I'm told, but can't really confirm, that a chain and a good U-lock are a good way to go if you do dual lockup - theoretically because a U-lock is best cut with an angle grinder, while a chain doesn't do grinders much help. I'm skeptical, and frankly I don't know the distribution of tool use in US cities among bike thieves. I would suspect a hydraulic cutter to be more common because it's quieter, but what do I know.

That said I'm in the market for a folding lock as an "always on" lock solution. I'd been thinking about one of the higher end Bordos, but I'd caught wind that Kryptonite's "TKO" was very good for the price as well. I'm more in the market for a combination folding lock, however, since it means I don't have to deal with bringing keys (as I intend to key-alike all of my Abus locks that I can).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.