Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

On the Night Before a Big Ride I....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-15-19, 07:17 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts

What do you do on the night before a big ride?

Let's leave "big" subjective, personally I'm planning to be rolling around 8 hours and counting breaks out from midmorning to a little after sunset, so "big" but not yet "crazy big"

At the moment I'm going through gear I plan to bring, contemplating a high protein (but low fiber) dinner since at this point early in the season I'm not yet going far enough to carbo load, charging batteries, etc.
Old 05-15-19, 07:20 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Lots of water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
Old 05-15-19, 07:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not eating enough, not sleeping enough, just hoping that I don't forget some critical piece of equipment when I leave.
Old 05-15-19, 07:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm doing my usual 100 miles this Saturday. Friday night, I'm planning on going to the annual dinner at the local Greek Orthodox church and eating a bunch of lamb. Probably some sweets too.
Old 05-15-19, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
CARBO-LOADING and then stressing and packing and like the good Dr. not getting enough sleep. Though sometimes I prepare in advance and it is just carbo-loading and getting a tiny bit more sleep. However I don't recommend carbo-loading too much at least not with simple carbs like I tend to do.

Hydration is a good thing and relaxation is a good thing as well as stretching and getting those legs moving a little.

Right before a ride, I will put on a nice clean kit make sure I put some Chamois Glide on (I think they call it Bike Glide now but any Chamois cremé you like will work) and make sure the tires are pumped up and do some more stretching and usually helping others with their bikes. I also try to wash myself beforehand because going out clean can help prevent saddle sores. If you are touring or not near a shower baby wipes are the way to go and an indispensable tool for anyone not just babies.
Old 05-15-19, 08:50 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Eat more and hope I get a decent night's sleep (have sleep apnea).
Old 05-15-19, 08:52 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Eat more and hope I get a decent night's sleep
Yes, that's the biggie. First attempt at a century last summer I finally just gave up after hours of failing to sleep and headed out on none, realized around mile 45 it wasn't happening and diverted to a train. Got fours hours when I actually pulled it off.

But goals are more modest this early in the season, and not planning to start until well after the sun is up.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-15-19 at 08:58 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 05-15-19, 09:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
For me it means no spicy food the nite before and small doses of magnesium potassium & calcium then morning of do the same small doses but add a little sodium then bring enough of same for the halfway or turnaround. Hydrate before you get thirsty eat before you get hungry and go easy the first 1/4 of the ride. No food experiments stick w what you’re accustomed to eating but add supplements to suit I like b6 & b12 30min prior to launch and again halfway thru approx if I get desperate I can add a caffeine pill but haven’t done that in years
Old 05-15-19, 09:45 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
For me it means no spicy food the nite before and small doses of magnesium potassium & calcium then morning of do the same small doses but add a little sodium then bring enough of same for the halfway or turnaround. Hydrate before you get thirsty eat before you get hungry and go easy the first 1/4 of the ride. No food experiments stick w what you’re accustomed to eating but add supplements to suit I like b6 & b12 30min prior to launch and again halfway thru approx if I get desperate I can add a caffeine pill but haven’t done that in years
Yeah, Nuun tablets and bananas are pretty staple, especially as it gets hotter. My grocery store seems to have stopped carrying the former, so I might pick up a tube (to augment the half one I'm bringing and the unoponed spare I'm leaving home) and use it as an excuse to take advantage of the restroom at the bike shop a bit over halfway.

And for me it's not just having done the pure water to vomiting thing a couple of times in early years when I didn't know what I was doing, but that hitting a bump and having legs cramp rather than respond with emergency power tends to mean a loss of balance and falling to the ground.

Probably the toughest part is about 70% of the way through my route with extended shallow climbs and water running over the trail, once I make it past that I relax a bit as the following part is just distance. But the plan if possible is to explore around an unfamiliar gravel side path a bit earlier, so that part will end up even later in the ride.
Old 05-15-19, 10:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
On the Night Before a Big Ride I .... relax, read, listen to music, and try to get as much sleep as I can.

I do All The Things the night before the night before a big ride.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-16-19, 06:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
fasting and prayer...
Old 05-16-19, 07:16 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
My last big rides have all been in the Canadian Rockies or Montana mountains. Consecutive 100+ miles days. Some nights and mornings are nothing more than fig newtons, trail mix and whatever else I've stashed into my frame bags.
Leaving Banff Ab. at 5:00AM usually means little sleep the night before. Two years ago it rained all night and I knew the next day was going to be cold and wet.
So, some beer and a good dinner.
The next day 110 miles later on a 45# mountain bike full of gear I am none the worse for the wear. Just keep eating when you can and keep going. Rinse.. Ride... Repeat... etc...
IMHO people let century rides put too much mental pressure on themselves. Often it is seen as getting it done as fast as possible rather than just getting it done.
Old 05-16-19, 07:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
It depends,. At a minimum, I like to have a decent meal. These days, most of my big rides are multi-day or multi-week, unsupported tours. What happens the night before each day of riding depends on a lot on where I am staying (e.g., town/city or somewhere with nothing around), the next day's mileage and the availability of services the next day.
Old 05-16-19, 07:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by UniChris
Nuun tablets
guess I fashioned my recipe after reading about them years ago. I just keep bottles of those individual ingredients (& others) handy & dish them out in snack bags. but it was interesting to read they also have "Chloride: Helps Fluid Transport & Balance"
Old 05-16-19, 07:43 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
in case it's pack everything, and put everything that needs to be charged on charger. and setting up what im wearing etc ready so minimize the time i spend walking around aimlessly around the house. afternoon of day before go to grocery store for supplies. bananas and assorted nuts and dried fruits.
Old 05-16-19, 07:55 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
We often do our biggest rides when on a cycling vacation somewhere. Prep usually entails plenty of eating and drinking before each ride. If it was a race or competitive event I'd cut out the drinking and have an easy or no ride the day before.

Cutting back on carbs the night before and eating extra protein might be good for weight loss but deliberately riding carb-depleted is not pleasant.
Old 05-16-19, 07:56 AM
UniChris

guess I fashioned my recipe after reading about them years ago. I just keep bottles of those individual ingredients (& others) handy & dish them out in snack bags. but it was interesting to read they also have "Chloride: Helps Fluid Transport & Balance"
Or it comes along for the ride with the others...

It may be I should just spike the gatorade powder, but it's easier to drop a tablet in. And I tend to do a progression throughout the day of

water -> water + nuun -> water + nuun + gatorade -> water + nuun -> water
Old 05-16-19, 07:59 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by gregf83
Cutting back on carbs the night before and eating extra protein might be good for weight loss but deliberately riding carb-depleted is not pleasant.
This wasn't cutting back, but more just not doing something unusual like making up a batch of pasta specifically because of the ride, which I did do on my largest rides.
Old 05-16-19, 08:18 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
My big ride prep includes a bedtime dose of magnesium, calcium, potassium, Move Free, Benadryl, melatonin and Ibuprofen with yogurt and a quart of water. This all helps with restorative sleep and inflammation from arthritis and shoulder tendonitis.

I also get out the foam roller to stretch the back, legs and I-bands.

Finally, all prep work on the bike and packing is done and check listed.
Old 05-16-19, 08:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
fasting and prayer...
Usually I'm second guessing myself, checking the weather ten times, forgetting to download the route to my GPS....

I'm going to try your method. I read somewhere about it working in the past.

-Tim-
Old 05-16-19, 08:40 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Wow, you guys pump yourselves full of supplements... I just try to sleep so that I don't oversleep. But then again, my biggest ride has been ~55 miles and usually more around 30ish.
Old 05-16-19, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by UniChris
gatorade
can't drink that, gives me a sour tummy. I have used "Muscle Milk" on occasion, with a snickers bar, from a gas station / convenience store ... not necessarily my go-to plan, but if I'm in a city & I'm desperate .... that would be an interesting thread. what can a cyclist "macgyver" for nutrition from a gas station ...
Old 05-16-19, 08:44 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by phile
in case it's pack everything, and put everything that needs to be charged on charger. and setting up what im wearing etc ready so minimize the time i spend walking around aimlessly around the house.
Ah, yes, the aimless wandering around. Managed to spend a half hour at 4am one morning last summer looking for a light's bar clamp, gave up and planned to tape it on which worked, came home and found the clamp had ridden along in the first aid kit.

Currently it's the attachment base for the cheapo computer I can't find. And that's because I put it somewhere "more appropriate" after it took a couple of rides in the baggie with my phone cable and wrap-strap blinky lights where it ended up after last season... so no trying to recalibrate pacing this time.
Old 05-16-19, 08:47 AM
UniChris

that would be an interesting thread. what can a cyclist "macgyver" for nutrition from a gas station ...
Oh, we had that one last August. It became infamous.

Ok, technically that was more fuel than balance. The time I left the whole bag of food and electrolytes on the kitchen table I did spend a couple of minutes wandering a pharmacy vitamin aisle two hours out, trying to figure out what might be a good alternative. Ended up just getting back on the trail and stopping by a bike shop later in the day.
Old 05-16-19, 08:47 AM
rumrunn6

here's one: charge your stuff (cams, lights, etc)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.