Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another Bike Shop Bites the Dust

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-15-19, 10:43 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 592 Posts

I've been going to this shop for decades. We've bought 3 or 4 bikes from here and various parts and equipment. Have also had some service done in the past. Good people. They even have a toy shop next door. The owners are retiring.
My choices of stores in the area are dwindling.
Talbot's Cyclery
·
After many years serving San Mateo and the surrounding communities, Talbots Cyclery announced today that its closing its doors. The last day of business will be Sunday, June 30th. We’ll be focusing on selling our existing inventory so we are discounting everything in the store. All regularly priced bikes are now 10% off, parts and accessories (including helmets and gloves) are 20% off, and clothing (including bike shoes) is 40% off. We have some bikes discounted at more than 10% off - these are marked with orange tags. We will not be reordering from this point on, so while we have a good selection now, your choices will get more limited as time goes on. All sales are final. No returns or exchanges will be done. Our service department will now only be working on bikes originally purchased in our store. After Sunday, June 23rd, our service shop will be closed. It’s been a great run and we’ve appreciated your support over the years, but the time has come for Talbots Cyclery to close.
Old 05-16-19, 12:06 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I think having a shop, particularly a large shop in the Bay Area will be more and more difficult with the combo of rising real estate costs and rising wage expectations. Combine that witg the high cost of living for your employees, it would be downright impossible to recruit and retain experieinced employees.

I still have a good array of shops in Oakland, but I recently chatted with a bike mechanic who started working for Favebook for 3x the pay and better benefits.

We are going to see more and more specialty shops, combo shops, one man shops and special order shops doing custom builds only.
Old 05-16-19, 12:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,174 Posts
Yes, it's a shame. I still try to buy local, but they can't keep up with the variety offered online. It's hard when you need something and they say they can order it for you. My wife has to listen to me rant about Amazon all the time. They can send me a suit case sized item for free, but I get gouged when I send anything larger than a standard letter. And then there is the fleet of non professional drivers in those white vans...deep breath. It's a shame.
Old 05-16-19, 04:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
This reminds me that I need to get to a LBS next week or some new tape and to get on their schedule for a boxing. Got a tour out west coming up next month.
Old 05-16-19, 05:33 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
We lost our favorite LBS a couple of years ago.
I will hopefully be visiting one of the other local ones today though.
The derailleur hanger on my Giant TCR Composite broke on me last night and I would like to get a new one by the weekend.
Old 05-16-19, 06:33 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Personally I don´t go to bike shops. The big box stores now have everything I need in their ever expanding bike department. A good analogy to bike shops are shoe stores. I see them closing one by one. Specialization is meaningless when generalization leads to better prices.
Old 05-16-19, 07:15 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm ever thankful that my LBS is excellent, has two locations, and just celebrated it's 60th anniversary. I hope they stay in business forever.

I think the fact that any bike you buy from them gets free lifetime tuneups helps at least a little.
Old 05-16-19, 07:34 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Another Restaurant Bites the Dust

I've been going to this restaurant for decades. From weeknight dinners to special occasions, so many memorable meals. Even took a cooking class there. Good people. They even have art next door. The owners are retiring.

My choices in restaurants in the area are dwindling.

-mr. bill
Old 05-16-19, 07:40 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
So they are closing because the owners want to retire. That's a very good reason to close. I thought they went under because they cannot sustain the business.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-16-19, 07:57 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
So they are closing because the owners want to retire. That's a very good reason to close. I thought they went under because they cannot sustain the business.
would've thought it'll be better (economically?) to have sold the biz as a going concern than shutting shop... last resort from not being able to find a willing buyer?
Old 05-16-19, 08:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ballooning property , overhead , real estate costs , around 'silicon valley' will crush a lot of small businesses ..

for a hundreds of miles around it ...

Ex Bay Area Resident ..

Old 05-16-19, 09:29 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,174 Posts
Guess you'll just have to fix it yourself...
Old 05-16-19, 12:12 PM
jade408

I was happy to see a mini one-man shop nearby was so busy he needs a new location and a new employee after a year. Which is awesome.

I also met another one man shop nearby - he runs a shop out of his garage. And spends the rest of his time taking care of his elderly mom. Since he has low overhead, he has low prices. And he also does free repairs for low income and homeless people. He just wants to keep people rolling - no matter their ability to pay!
Old 05-17-19, 12:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
In 1982 a friend bought an 1100 square foot house in Alameda for 100k. I thought that was expensive until I looked at the cost of the same house today. OUCH!!
Old 05-17-19, 01:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Personally I don´t go to bike shops. The big box stores now have everything I need in their ever expanding bike department. A good analogy to bike shops are shoe stores. I see them closing one by one. Specialization is meaningless when generalization leads to better prices.
That is a fantastic reason for you to not want to go to a bike shop. But many others find the specialization to be beneficial. Big box stores around me have neither the variety or quality of typical bike shops. It really isnt even close to comparable, actually.
But I can see how general retail would work for those who are not interested in specialization or higher level offerings.
Old 05-17-19, 02:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But I can see how general retail would work for those who are not interested in specialization or higher level offerings.
QFT.

And reminds me of a part of a Chris Rick routine about keeping the money in the community. That's easy to do if you want a pack of potato chips. But if you want something nice, you just might have to venture outside the 'hood. For example, it's hard to find a Volvo dealer in Liberty City. Shabaz Mercedes. It's just not there.
Old 05-17-19, 09:04 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
We can only guess at the reasons the owners are closing the shop upon their retirement instead of trying to sell the shop. Perhaps they own the real estate and selling it or renting it at a market rate makes the most economic sense for them. Small retailers that actually own their store locations are at least insulated from working just to pay the landlord. If they don't own the real estate, perhaps their lease was coming up for renewal at a higher rental rate and that made the decision for them. Heck, there's even the possibility of the property owner wanting to redevelop and paying them to leave.

They'll likely try to sell as much off as they can in their going out of business sale. At the bitter end they may sell the remaining inventory to another store or have it auctioned off or perhaps it will be purchased by a liquidation business. A friend of mine , while closing his bike shop, practically gave away his remaining inventory as he had the landlord breathing down his neck.
Old 05-17-19, 09:57 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
We can only guess at the reasons the owners are closing the shop upon their retirement instead of trying to sell the shop. Perhaps they own the real estate and selling it or renting it at a market rate makes the most economic sense for them. Small retailers that actually own their store locations are at least insulated from working just to pay the landlord. If they don't own the real estate, perhaps their lease was coming up for renewal at a higher rental rate and that made the decision for them. Heck, there's even the possibility of the property owner wanting to redevelop and paying them to leave.

They'll likely try to sell as much off as they can in their going out of business sale. At the bitter end they may sell the remaining inventory to another store or have it auctioned off or perhaps it will be purchased by a liquidation business. A friend of mine , while closing his bike shop, practically gave away his remaining inventory as he had the landlord breathing down his neck.
My guess they didn't find someone to buy the business at favorable conditions.
Old 05-18-19, 01:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
The owners are retiring.
That quote is wrong, according to many BF members who regularly post on the subject know that all bike shops are crooks and that Jeff Bezos and Wally Mart are the only real true bike shops anymore because bike shops should be all about birds (cheap cheap, cheap cheap) and if you watch a youtube video you are a master mechanic.

Hope they have a great retirement and hope another great bike shop opens up to take their place. It is always a shame to lose a good bike shop but always good to retire and maybe get out and enjoy more riding.
Old 05-20-19, 10:42 AM
jade408

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That is a fantastic reason for you to not want to go to a bike shop. But many others find the specialization to be beneficial. Big box stores around me have neither the variety or quality of typical bike shops. It really isnt even close to comparable, actually.
Also I find general retail really doesn't like things like internal hubs, classic styled bikes, and "urban" helmets that have plenty of ventilation! Or bungee cables. I find big box retail is missing a bunch of stuff I have tried to look for recently. Couldn't even find a multitool in Decathalon.
Old 05-20-19, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Traditionally, "bite the dust" meant to be killed, face down.

Wayne from the highly popular on line outlet called The Touring Store recently retired. Great guy, but it was time to retire and enjoy life more. Another bike/ski shop in the NJ 'burbs recently closed for the same reason. I bought a touring bike from the place back in '98. The co-owner who sold it to me was no spring chicken back then. People get old. It happens.

On the flip side, on Saturday I paid a social visit to the relatively young owner of a LBS that opened about 4 years ago. The place was on my route to an overnight camping place. I only got to speak with him for a few minutes because the place was very busy.