Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike upgrade time?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike upgrade time?

Old 05-16-19, 06:50 PM
Jgpell14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike upgrade time?

Hello everyone. I’m hoping for some advise.

Over the winter I took some spinning classes. I had so much fun with it that when spring came I decided to dust off my Trek Navigator hybrid and start riding. I’m having a blast!

All of my riding is on road. I’m 57 years old. I ride average 3 times per week, 15-20 miles per ride, 13ish MPH. Now I’m thinking of ditching the hybrid and upgrade to a flat bar road bike but I’m unsure of the level/price of bike that I should move into. I’m looking at something like the Trek Sport 4 vs Trek FX 3Disc, and the Fuji Absolute 1.1 vs Absolue 1.3. I want a bike that I can use and grow with, but I don’t know if the more expensive/better bike is overkill for me.

I’ve yet to visit a LBS to discuss. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-19, 06:55 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Just do it. Your doing great. Can't give you advice on what bike tho. To me like trying to pick an ice cream flavor.

Old 05-16-19, 06:59 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
What are the differences between the trek you have now and the trek you are considering **********?
Old 05-16-19, 07:05 PM
Jgpell14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Trek that I have now is about 12 years old and is a hybrid that leans towards mountain riding. It has larger tires. I guess I want something that is designed for roads without the curled handlebars. I also think the idea of something new, with more modern components is something that I like.
Old 05-17-19, 05:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Just looking at the Trek's, if you can spring for the FX4, I'd do that for the Tiagra vs. Alivio.
Somewhere inbetween those would be eg. Cannondale QuickDisc 3 with Sora
https://www.rei.com/product/145844/c...sc-3-bike-2019

But, basically all the major brands seem to have a Tiagra level and something lower (Sora, Alivio, Claris) model, so as you alluded -- time to visit a couple bike shops to see what they have.
Old 05-17-19, 05:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I think your enthusiasm argues for a new bike. It will make riding even more enjoyable. Bar choice is yours, of course, but a road bike's drop bars will offer different hand positions. On longer rides you might find that helpful. I couldn't ride for long with only one hand position.
Old 05-17-19, 05:42 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I just bought a new bike four days ago. While I didn't end up with the FX4, it was on my list specifically because it was specced like a road bike but had flat bars. I'd certainly consider it over the FX3.

On my test ride, I quite liked it. The price was somewhat high, but it's not in the crazy level. Further, from what you've written I can't see a more expensive bike adding much value.

The only reason I didn't get it was because I wanted drop bars.

Last edited by guachi; 05-17-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 06:14 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I'm 55. My first road bike when I started riding seriously about 10 years ago was a Schwinn. It was inexpensive a tad heavy and had a 3x8 drivetrain. I rode at least 15,000 miles on it before upgrading to a Giant TCR which was light and had good components. It was my present for breaking under 200#. I've probably got 10,000+ on it. Both of these were drop bar bikes.

Most of my rides start with a minimum of 20 miles and unless there is a lot of climbing anything under an 18 mph average is considered sub par. I live in N.E. Tennessee so many of my loops start with at least 1500 feet of climbing.

Go to local bike shops and test ride some bikes.
You might be keen on a flat bar bike but trust me, don't be afraid to try regular road bikes with drop bars. IMHO, they will have better group sets on them.
Don't fall in love with the first one that you like. Try several models from different shops.
If you really get into riding, start getting stronger and start putting in better averages, you will want a drop bar bike.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 05-17-19, 07:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Find yourself a good LBS with a variety of bikes. Take a bunch of long-ish test rides (3-5 miles). Buy the one you like.

So much depends on your condition, your flexibility, what you're used to, how each bike fits you, and (pace car salesmen) even how you like the color, that nobody on the interwebs can buy you the best bike except by random chance. The best bike is the one that you like to ride, period. The second best bike, if you don't like to ride it, may turn into the worst bike because it takes up space in your garage. That means, ultimately, you've got to go pick it.
Old 05-17-19, 08:11 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Just a thought.

If you are having a blast now on your Trek Navigator hybrid, Which looks to me more like a comfort bike with a tall seating position and fat tires, Like my Giant Sedona, Why do you want to upgrade. I upgraded my 32 year old Supercycle 12 speed mountian bike to the Sedona X-Trail bike last year because the old bike was a pain to ride. Not because it was old and lightly rusty. I should have done it 30 years ago.

I like the upright seating and the same 26 x 1.95" tires it looks like your Trek has. Since I ride for primarily for Pleasure with some fitness thrown in, Comfort is a high priority, and these bikes seem to be very good at that. At least for casual riders. Even if I was concerned about speed, My speed is limited more by frequent stops, Bad roads and Paths, and by pedestrians more then bike limitations. And the extra effort required to obtain the same speed makes them ideal for the fitness aspect.

That said I too am curious as to the difference a more road oriented bike would make. But for me, it must still be capable on gravel shoulders and light trails I might want to ride when I'm not on my Sedona. So a 38 mm width tire is the minimum I would go.

Since I'm more then satisfied with my Giant Sedona, I would consider this Giant Roam 3 to compliment my Sedona, as well as checking out other bikes.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/roam-3

And for those worried that wide tires slow you down, Consider the rolling resistance tests you can google, There are plenty of low rolling resistance tires out there 2" wide that do better then some narrow road tires. Even some BIG mountain bike tires best cheap narrow road tires. Tread, Casing and Compound are WAY more important to rolling resistance then I, and most other folks might have thought, at least on pavement.

Wind resistance is by far the largest impediment to fast cruising. Which is why road bikes have a tucked riding position vs a neutral or upright one.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-17-19 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I vote for some test rides, ride them around work the shifters and see if you think the differences are worth the price.

You're going to love ditching the comfort bike for something a bit easier to ride faster. I made the same transition a couple years ago after I found myself having ridden a couple of solo centuries on the comfort bike. I realized at that point I was having too much fun to want to stick to the trailer puller.
Old 05-17-19, 02:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I’ve yet to visit a LBS to discuss.
I recommend test rides.. Only Trek dealer on your list , is here for a matching price point more same than different

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
Then your bike shop can accessorize,

I like Ergon grips better than round ones , mudguards better than wheel spray ..
Old 05-19-19, 08:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Jgpell14
The Trek that I have now is about 12 years old and is a hybrid that leans towards mountain riding. It has larger tires. I guess I want something that is designed for roads without the curled handlebars. I also think the idea of something new, with more modern components is something that I like.
Give a real road bike a test ride. You don't have to get one with an aggressive fit.
"curled" handlebars allow for many different hand positions, which I find reduces numbness & discomfort I sometimes get with my flat bar bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-19-19, 02:29 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Bike Upgrade Time?

Always. (Is that even a question?)
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 05-19-19, 02:36 PM
insignia100

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
Definitely don't overlook drop bars. I just went on my first long ride with my new-to-me Giant Defy and found that it was far more comfortable than the flat bars on my Giant Escape. Being able to keep my hands on the hoods really improves wrist comfort, something I struggled with on the flat bars.
Old 05-19-19, 03:17 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
As others have suggested, give drop bars a try. Borrow a bike for a few weeks if possible, because the posture may take some getting used to.

The other option for long distance comfort is a swept bar. I've owned drop-bar bikes, but could never make them comfortable due to lack of flexibility. That's just me, everybody's different. Swept bars provide just enough wrist rotation, and I can ride them for hours with no discomfort. I don't need multiple positions. I need just one comfortable position.

The industry is very much locked into bike categories and designs based on aesthetics rather than fit and comfort. Almost every drop bar bike I've seen is way too low to be comfortable for the person riding it. One exception is a bike bought from a shop that left the steering tubes uncut and made the final adjustment with spacers for each customer. I get it, that a super aggressive posture looks cool, but most riders end up hating it, especially as we get older (I'm 55).

Likewise, I've never seen a swept bar on a "sporty" bike, because the industry only puts them on "city" bikes. All of my bikes have swept bars and a moderate posture -- hand grips level with the saddle -- but I had to convert them myself with aftermarket bars.

The benefit of buying a new bike is that you can take your good old time with choosing one that really works for you.
Old 05-20-19, 01:50 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m hoping for some advise.

Over the winter I took some spinning classes. I had so much fun with it that when spring came I decided to dust off my Trek Navigator hybrid and start riding. I’m having a blast!

All of my riding is on road. I’m 57 years old. I ride average 3 times per week, 15-20 miles per ride, 13ish MPH. Now I’m thinking of ditching the hybrid and upgrade to a flat bar road bike but I’m unsure of the level/price of bike that I should move into. I’m looking at something like the Trek Sport 4 vs Trek FX 3Disc, and the Fuji Absolute 1.1 vs Absolue 1.3. I want a bike that I can use and grow with, but I don’t know if the more expensive/better bike is overkill for me.

I’ve yet to visit a LBS to discuss. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
Take a look at the Giant Toughroad SLR2 which is the bike I have at the moment.

Old 05-20-19, 03:48 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
After finding the local bike store didn't have what I wanted. I started looking on the internet. This was 2017 and I found a giant ATX lite. Found a local bike shop that would order it, swap the bars with some Jone bars and I love My bike. If I'd have just bought what they had from the bike store, I would have had front suspension and other things I didn't want

Old 05-22-19, 01:22 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 214 Posts
I looked at the Fuji website for specs. Couldn't be bothered to look at the other bikes you mentioned.

If it were me, I would get the more expensive Absolute 1.1. The price difference is only ~240$, and you get better shifters and derailleurs and much better crank and bottom bracket.

If cost is an object, both bikes would be great, and when new they will ride identically. Just expect longer life out of the moving parts of the 1.1

However, the main factor you should consider is the fit of the bike - both how it fits your body dimensions (is comfortable to ride) and how is fits where and how you wish to ride. As others have said, there are other styles of bikes out there that are popular for road riding, but what you want and how comfortable you are is more important than anything else.
Old 05-22-19, 01:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
N+1.
Old 05-22-19, 01:49 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My wife had similar needs as you. She got a Giant Escape and we put Ergon grips with bar ends on them. Gave her multiple had positions. She liked the more upright position and she was still plenty fast (just did an average of 16.1 mph on Monday). She loves it, but after about 5,000 miles on it she is ready to upgrade and just bought a slightly used 2018 Trek Domane SL5. She will be riding her Giant this weekend for an event though. Not enough saddle time on the new bike yet for that. Don't overlook changing out the grips though.
Old 05-24-19, 04:51 PM
Jgpell14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can’t thank everyone enough for your comments. You gave me a lot of good advise and a lot to think about. I’ve decided to transition to an entry level road bike - originally thinking flat bar but the road bike with drop bars makes more sense. I finally rode one and like it! I’m currently thinking of the Trek Domane AL 3 and Fuji Sportif 2.1.
Likes For Jgpell14:
Old 05-24-19, 08:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
To me like trying to pick an ice cream flavor.
... as in, bring home several.
Old 05-24-19, 09:10 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I can’t thank everyone enough for your comments. You gave me a lot of good advise and a lot to think about. I’ve decided to transition to an entry level road bike - originally thinking flat bar but the road bike with drop bars makes more sense. I finally rode one and like it! I’m currently thinking of the Trek Domane AL 3 and Fuji Sportif 2.1.
Trek has a sale through Memorial Day that you may be able to take advantage of.
Old 05-24-19, 09:18 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Bikes are such, that you need more than one. I am happier having my old Mountain Bike/City bomber, and my C&V non indexed road bike. Both do something the other does not. Both are equally enjoyed in different ways. 1 bike limits you. Options are good.