Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can rotor cranksets take another BB than BB30?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 03:21 AM
fujiraf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, can i avoid the BB30 bottom bracket,which is already installed (and started allready cracking noises), and instead put another BB? The crankset is Rotor on a road frame The frame can take shimano BBs , (BB92. or BB72 pressfit cups.).
Old 05-17-19, 06:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
What frame do you have? Can you find your crankset model and/or provide pics? Rotor makes road cranksets in both 30mm and 24mm spindle diameters so it would be good to know exactly what's going on; it would be unusual to see a crankset with a 30mm spindle in a BB86 frame.

If you have a 24mm spindle (like my Rotor, which is a 3D24), you might be able to get a BB for your frame that threads together (like the one from Wheels Manufacturing) and is less prone to creaking.
Old 05-17-19, 11:31 AM
fujiraf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What frame do you have? Can you find your crankset model and/or provide pics? Rotor makes road cranksets in both 30mm and 24mm spindle diameters so it would be good to know exactly what's going on; it would be unusual to see a crankset with a 30mm spindle in a BB86 frame.

If you have a 24mm spindle (like my Rotor, which is a 3D24), you might be able to get a BB for your frame that threads together (like the one from Wheels Manufacturing) and is less prone to creaking.
The frame is Ridley Fenix SLX, its designed for BB86 pressfit cups with diameter of 41mm & width of 86.5 mm. The crankset is rotor with spindle 30mm, the BB is BB30,
Old 05-17-19, 12:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Bottom brackets are specific to frames, not cranks.

Frames with BB86 bottom bracket shells have a 41 mm bore. Frames with BB30 bottom bracket shells have a 42 mm bore. The bike can't be both BB86 and BB30 at the same time.

I agree with @WhyFi. Look for a Praxis Conversion, Wheels Mfg "Thread Together" or Enduro Torqtite. Installation is super easy and it will never creak.

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-17-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 02:14 PM
fujiraf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Bottom brackets are specific to frames, not cranks.

Frames with BB86 bottom bracket shells have a 41 mm bore. Frames with BB30 bottom bracket shells have a 42 mm bore. The bike can't be both BB86 and BB30 at the same time.

I agree with @WhyFi. Look for a Praxis Conversion, Wheels Mfg "Thread Together" or Enduro Torqtite. Installation is super easy and it will never creak.
thanks, so, maybe is my mistake, maybe is not BB30, but , BB86. Something more to learn.😊
Old 05-17-19, 02:44 PM
WhyFi

If that's all correct, you're going to have very few options while retaining your crankset and I doubt that any of those options will be significantly better than what's already in place.

As Tim mentioned, the internal diameter of the frame bore is smaller on a BB86 vs BB30, so making a 30mm spindle fit in there is very uncommon. That I see, there are only a few "undersized" bearings that can fit in there and none of them screw together like the adapters previously mentioned. So, unless you want to get a new crankset with a 24mm spindle, you're probably looking at reinstalling with loctite or something.
Old 05-18-19, 03:47 AM
fujiraf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If that's all correct, you're going to have very few options while retaining your crankset and I doubt that any of those options will be significantly better than what's already in place.

As Tim mentioned, the internal diameter of the frame bore is smaller on a BB86 vs BB30, so making a 30mm spindle fit in there is very uncommon. That I see, there are only a few "undersized" bearings that can fit in there and none of them screw together like the adapters previously mentioned. So, unless you want to get a new crankset with a 24mm spindle, you're probably looking at reinstalling with loctite or something.
Thanks for the reply, loctite is kind of glue, right? Doesnt seem a proper treatment for the frame.. For the moment the BB has been cleaned and is much better, when it will start annoying cracks again, i will put a new BB.
Old 05-18-19, 05:52 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by fujiraf
Thanks for the reply, loctite is kind of glue, right? Doesnt seem a proper treatment for the frame.. For the moment the BB has been cleaned and is much better, when it will start annoying cracks again, i will put a new BB.

Loctite is a brand, they have various compounds depending upon what you're looking to do. A quick search should tell you which of their compounds is appropriate for a creaking press-fit bottom bracket.