Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Camino Norte

Old 05-17-19, 11:17 AM
Capeconway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camino Norte

My friend and I have 8 days to be on el Camino Norte. We’d like to cycle part or maybe the entire time. We realize this is not enough time to do the entirety so will be choosing what villages to stop at and cycle to and from, and where to travel forward by bus. We will need to rent bikes. Will we be able to rent bikes in San Sebastián and return in Santiago or sooner? Will we be able to take bikes on busses? Our plan is to begin in San Sebastián and end in Santiago making the trip via walking, biking, and busses in 8 days. Thank you!
Old 05-17-19, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
OK you are asking about Northern Spain..

I'd suggest Tourist Information centers for the towns along the way https://www.spain.info/en/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago has a 1200 + year legacy ..
Old 05-17-19, 12:38 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
As fietsbob points out, this is essentially one of the ways of St. James. You propose to go 720 km in eight days. That about 44 hours of biking, if googlemaps is anywhere near to accurate. Are you up for 5 and a half hours of biking per day?

When my Mom married my step-Dad, they were both over 60. Jim was a really enthusiastic cyclist (he built his own recumbent, which we commuted to the State Department on when he was a Foreign Service Officer.). He was also Roman Catholic, and wanted to do the Compostela de Santiago pilgrimmage. Much the same route as the OP proposes. Jim got Mom a bike. Got his (road) bike all tuned up. They practiced. Went to Spain, rented bikes ,and gave it a go. After the first day, my Mom decided that cycling the pilgranmage was not going to work for her. So they ended up doing the thing by motor vehicle. Had a great time. Point is: be flexible when you get there.
Old 05-18-19, 12:32 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
El Camino

that’s a nice car/truck
Old 05-18-19, 02:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
One of my friends did the Way of St. James pilgrims path . in several portions over several years ,,

returning to where they left off , the next time, and continuing on from there.. back packing ..

Another friend did the same with their cross USA bicycle tour , last year they went to Salt lake City and west from there..

having started a few years ago ... Erie Canal, etc..