Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Bike Multitool

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Bike Multitool

Old 05-18-19, 01:50 PM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My EDC is a Crank Bros M10 but on my road bike I have been trying the Spurcycle tool and love it. My only complaints about both tools is neither of them use a JIS screwdriver which would be way better. However so far I haven't seen anyone do a tool with a JIS screwdriver.

I really do want to try the PB Swiss tool but I need to get their allen keys and Torx keys first for my tool box.

As far as shop tools, get the best in the basics at the very least. I didn't like the idea of buying cheaper tools and then rebuying tools later so I prefer to spend the money upfront and get what I want.
I know what you mean.. For me it's just so I have something rather than nothing.
Id like to have a decent basic set to do many things I need and buy a few tools along the way as I need more..
But since the high end park tools is not in my budget and Id like to have something.. id settle for getting a basic set of good quality but lesser priced tools since right now I don't have any shop bike tools.
Old 05-18-19, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
I know what you mean.. For me it's just so I have something rather than nothing.
Id like to have a decent basic set to do many things I need and buy a few tools along the way as I need more..
But since the high end park tools is not in my budget and Id like to have something.. id settle for getting a basic set of good quality but lesser priced tools since right now I don't have any shop bike tools.
Sure sure, but at least getting your most used tools as top end as you can get makes the most sense. If you don't change a lot of pedals, then a cheap pedal wrench is probably not going to be so bad and likewise for another tool that is less used. However things like allen keys, a JIS screwdriver and a cable/housing cutter should be of good quality and you can get a decent ones for not a whole lot. The Pedro's L-Wrench set is about $35, a Vessel Megadora JIS screwdriver is about $11 and the Jagwire Housing cutter is about $40. That will get you done with most of the important stuff people do more often. If you have those and probably a good T25 torx key you can do quite a bit of normal maintenance. Depending on my chain situation I may get a good chain tool or a masterlink plyers (Wolf Tooth comes to mind as they are portable, good quality and store master links in them) but for most basic stuff the three tools will generally get you by fairly well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-18-19, 07:43 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sure sure, but at least getting your most used tools as top end as you can get makes the most sense. If you don't change a lot of pedals, then a cheap pedal wrench is probably not going to be so bad and likewise for another tool that is less used. However things like allen keys, a JIS screwdriver and a cable/housing cutter should be of good quality and you can get a decent ones for not a whole lot. The Pedro's L-Wrench set is about $35, a Vessel Megadora JIS screwdriver is about $11 and the Jagwire Housing cutter is about $40. That will get you done with most of the important stuff people do more often. If you have those and probably a good T25 torx key you can do quite a bit of normal maintenance. Depending on my chain situation I may get a good chain tool or a masterlink plyers (Wolf Tooth comes to mind as they are portable, good quality and store master links in them) but for most basic stuff the three tools will generally get you by fairly well.
This is good tool-buying advice in general, really.

M.
Likes For MEversbergII:
Old 05-18-19, 08:13 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes I don't want to get Cheap tools.. when I said inexpensive.. I meant as for a kit.. I didn't wanna drop $300-700 off the cuff..
I was looking at this kit here..

BIKE HAND

and I was going to also get a few higher end frequently used tools as well.
I have good wire cutters and crimpers..

But if you guys have another kit in mind I will look at it.. or Instead I'll just get a toolbox and buy tools piece by piece like you listed.
Old 05-18-19, 08:33 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Those kits are ok. Definitely better than they use to be. I keep one of those type on my truck and Park Tool at home. But better is Pedro's. Not as good as Park but still well made and should last a lifetime.. I like to think Pedro's about like Craftsman and Park like Snap-On.

Old 05-18-19, 08:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Yes I don't want to get Cheap tools.. when I said inexpensive.. I meant as for a kit.. I didn't wanna drop $300-700 off the cuff..
I was looking at this kit here..

BIKE HAND

and I was going to also get a few higher end frequently used tools as well.
I have good wire cutters and crimpers..

But if you guys have another kit in mind I will look at it.. or Instead I'll just get a toolbox and buy tools piece by piece like you listed.
I didn't go kit because I don't like kits. I like to pick what would work best and sometimes the kits are designed more for price than maybe quality or they stick you with only tools from that manufacturer which doesn't work well for me.
Old 05-18-19, 08:58 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Something else to consider. When doing quick repairs or adjustments on the road getting a tool that doesn’t consist of a bunch of tiny pieces that will get dropped and lost easily.
Likes For Mitkraft:
Old 05-18-19, 09:10 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Those kits are ok. Definitely better than they use to be. I keep one of those type on my truck and Park Tool at home. But better is Pedro's. Not as good as Park but still well made and should last a lifetime.. I like to think Pedro's about like Craftsman and Park like Snap-On.
I had wondered if Park was considered better than Pedro's or vice versa. I suspect after a certain level it's all basically the same since few-to-none of the tools we use are actually subject to super punishment or anything.

M.
Old 05-18-19, 09:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The one I currently carry is the Fix-It-Stick system.
I picked up a set of "Fix-It-Sticks" at InterBike a couple years ago. I like the ability to interchange the hex bits so I can have all the ones I need.

On my folding commuter bike, a Tern, I carry a "Tern Tool", which has everything I need for normal maintenance.

For my bikes that use removable master links, I have a Wolf Tooth master link pliers with storage space for an extra link. I didn't actually *need* this tool, but I liked the design and construction.
Old 05-18-19, 10:43 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Cool tool was Cool (at 1 time they had a Ti version ).. Gerber bought them out as I understand

There is a multitool Wiki?
https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-inde...page=Cool+Tool

Still the best bike multitool made.
Old 05-18-19, 11:04 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have a Topeak 18 for my commuter/hybrid, and a Topeak 9 for my road bike. Both are good for on-the-road fixes but I wouldn't ever consider pulling them out of my saddle bag in the garage to do real work. I have real tools for when I'm at home. I also owned a Topeak Alien II for awhile. I wish I knew where that went. It, too, was a nice tool, though heavy.

I've found, in practice, that once I get a bike well dialed-in, I never need the tool while out riding. Even on rare occasion where I have a mechanical issue on the road, the multi-tool has never been the right tool for the job at hand. Actually, the only mechanical issue I've ever had where a tool (aside from tire levers) might have been useful was a snapped rear shift cable (25 miles from home). What I *should* have done is used a multi-tool to tune the high gears out of the rear derailleur, forcing it to stay in a middle gear. That way I could have done my shifting using the triple front crankset and would have made it home without calling for a lift. But that didn't occur to me, so I limped along my 11t rear cog to somewhere I could call for a ride.

So although I have one multi-tool for each bike, I find that about halfway through each biking season I'm sufficiently satisfied with the bike's condition, and I take the tools out of my seat bags because I know I'm going to be doing some excruciating climb where the psychological advantage of not carrying that extra 1/6th of a pound makes all the difference in the world. (Joking of course, but this is how we tend to think as we toil up a steep climb, isn't it?) And so far I've never been in a situation where I regret not having it with me, though I don't doubt that day will come eventually.

Of course my good fortune of not needing a multi-tool as I ride is probably a product of my riding habits. My normal rides originate from my home, take me somewhere 7 to 35 miles away, and then back to home again. If I were setting out on some multi-day touring adventure, my need for a portable tool would be greater. Because as it is, I check things over before I head out, and if something minor comes up along the ride I make a mental note of it and take care of it when I get home. That strategy isn't as effective if your ride doesn't start and end at home each day.

Last edited by daoswald; 05-18-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 02:24 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I had wondered if Park was considered better than Pedro's or vice versa. I suspect after a certain level it's all basically the same since few-to-none of the tools we use are actually subject to super punishment or anything.

M.
Well I'm sure the fine folks at Pedro's would disagree with me on who's better. I'm just going by price of each compared and my own humble opinion. All bike tools probably will get the job done if everything runs smooth. But when part your working on have been tightened too tight, welded themselves together or bolts are rounded off you might kick yourself for buying one of those $50 cheap tool kits.

Old 05-19-19, 02:34 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Cool tool was Cool (at 1 time they had a Ti version ).. Gerber bought them out as I understand

There is a multitool Wiki?
https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-inde...page=Cool+Tool

That tool was slightly better than some wrenches and screwdrivers rolled up in an old sock. But I miss my old Cooltool. Every now and then will look for one on Ebay but no luck. Surprised not an old warehouse somewhere full of them.

Old 05-19-19, 06:02 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/CRANKBROTHERs...26661019&psc=1
Old 05-19-19, 06:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Well I'm sure the fine folks at Pedro's would disagree with me on who's better. I'm just going by price of each compared and my own humble opinion. All bike tools probably will get the job done if everything runs smooth. But when part your working on have been tightened too tight, welded themselves together or bolts are rounded off you might kick yourself for buying one of those $50 cheap tool kits.
Depends.. I'd take the Pedros Chain Checker Plus II over the Park CC3.2 for a variety of reasons. IOW I think there's spot opportunities for one vs the other to provide better value.
Old 05-19-19, 06:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
I'm a minimalist and can probably count on one hand the number of times during a ride I've needed a tool (other than levers).. For me, perfect is the SKS Tom7 for the just in case scenario. Though I'm intrigued by the prior mention of the Barstow chain tool.

SKS Tom7 MultiTool

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-19-19 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 07:29 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Depends.. I'd take the Pedros Chain Checker Plus II over the Park CC3.2 for a variety of reasons. IOW I think there's spot opportunities for one vs the other to provide better value.
Very true. I bought one of the Park Tool kits and had some of the tools laid out with some various other tools. Much to my surprise the allen wrenches I got with the Park kit were the exact same set I'd bought earlier from Walmart. Just amazing what some will do for cost savings.
Not saying Park best at everything. But some of the standard tools a little more robust than Pedro's. But either fine to run a bike repair shop with.

Old 05-19-19, 08:14 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
How do I get a Post Moved to a diff section.. I think this Post would be better in Bike Mechanics but didn't see the category until after
If you really want it moved, I can move it but you're getting a lot of responses here. It's up to you.

Old 05-19-19, 11:58 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik

Is it cool to carry individual 5mm and 4mm Allen keys, a Park chain tool, two tire irons and a small Phillips screwdriver? No.
I think it's cool! IMO, a few individual tools work better than a multi-tool and save weight because they only have what you might need. Saving weight and a working bike are both cool.
Old 05-19-19, 12:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
Actually, the only mechanical issue I've ever had where a tool (aside from tire levers) might have been useful was a snapped rear shift cable (25 miles from home). What I *should* have done is used a multi-tool to tune the high gears out of the rear derailleur, forcing it to stay in a middle gear. That way I could have done my shifting using the triple front crankset and would have made it home without calling for a lift. But that didn't occur to me, so I limped along my 11t rear cog to somewhere I could call for a ride.
In this situation the things I have done have been find a stick the right length or diameter and wedge it in the parallelogram of the RD to sit in a gear that works. That one I call "stick shift". The other is to take the broken inner cable and tie it off on the frame in a gear that works.
Old 05-19-19, 01:51 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Topeak mini 20 gets my vote.
Old 05-19-19, 02:14 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
Something else to consider. When doing quick repairs or adjustments on the road getting a tool that doesn’t consist of a bunch of tiny pieces that will get dropped and lost easily.
Originally Posted by MEversbergII

M.
Originally Posted by sweeks
I picked up a set of "Fix-It-Sticks" at InterBike a couple years ago. I like the ability to interchange the hex bits so I can have all the ones I need.

On my folding commuter bike, a Tern, I carry a "Tern Tool", which has everything I need for normal maintenance.

For my bikes that use removable master links, I have a Wolf Tooth master link pliers with storage space for an extra link. I didn't actually *need* this tool, but I liked the design and construction.
Originally Posted by daoswald
I have a Topeak 18 for my commuter/hybrid, and a Topeak 9 for my road bike. Both are good for on-the-road fixes but I wouldn't ever consider pulling them out of my saddle bag in the garage to do real work. I have real tools for when I'm at home. I also owned a Topeak Alien II for awhile. I wish I knew where that went. It, too, was a nice tool, though heavy.

I've found, in practice, that once I get a bike well dialed-in, I never need the tool while out riding. Even on rare occasion where I have a mechanical issue on the road, the multi-tool has never been the right tool for the job at hand. Actually, the only mechanical issue I've ever had where a tool (aside from tire levers) might have been useful was a snapped rear shift cable (25 miles from home). What I *should* have done is used a multi-tool to tune the high gears out of the rear derailleur, forcing it to stay in a middle gear. That way I could have done my shifting using the triple front crankset and would have made it home without calling for a lift. But that didn't occur to me, so I limped along my 11t rear cog to somewhere I could call for a ride.

So although I have one multi-tool for each bike, I find that about halfway through each biking season I'm sufficiently satisfied with the bike's condition, and I take the tools out of my seat bags because I know I'm going to be doing some excruciating climb where the psychological advantage of not carrying that extra 1/6th of a pound makes all the difference in the world. (Joking of course, but this is how we tend to think as we toil up a steep climb, isn't it?) And so far I've never been in a situation where I regret not having it with me, though I don't doubt that day will come eventually.

Of course my good fortune of not needing a multi-tool as I ride is probably a product of my riding habits. My normal rides originate from my home, take me somewhere 7 to 35 miles away, and then back to home again. If I were setting out on some multi-day touring adventure, my need for a portable tool would be greater. Because as it is, I check things over before I head out, and if something minor comes up along the ride I make a mental note of it and take care of it when I get home. That strategy isn't as effective if your ride doesn't start and end at home each day.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
If you really want it moved, I can move it but you're getting a lot of responses here. It's up to you.
Thanks everyone for your advice on the tools..
I will continue to look at Tools and though I have found usefulness in multi-tools on a ride more so with friends I am riding with
I will end up probably buying tools piece by piece as I need them for my home set up. So I am not stuck with tons of tools I don't need
and don't use.
I knew of Pedros tire levers but did not know they had a whole line of tools I will look into them if they are quality tools for a
lesser price of Park.

as far as moving the post.. No you are right I got a good amount of response here.
Old 05-19-19, 02:18 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
In tens of thousands of miles, I've only ever needed

Spoke wrench
4mm Allen key
5mm Allen key
Flat driver
Chain tool
1 lever

I've broken the Topeak Chain tool, so won't use aluminum chain tools any more.

The Pedros 6 Pack contains 3 of the above (spoke key, flat driver, 5mm, steel chain tool), so I just add a separate 4mm Allen key.

Last edited by f4rrest; 05-20-19 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Pedro's, not Park.
Old 05-19-19, 05:03 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I carry a Topeak. It’s about 3 years old. I’ve used the side scab tire irons to change flats out on the road. I also carry’s Swiss Army knife. Other than flats, I haven’t needed either, but I would want to be on a long ride without either.
Old 05-19-19, 05:14 PM
goldensprocket
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That tool was slightly better than some wrenches and screwdrivers rolled up in an old sock. But I miss my old Cooltool. Every now and then will look for one on Ebay but no luck. Surprised not an old warehouse somewhere full of them.
I still have my titanium Cool Tool in my obsolete parts bin. I haven't had any use for it for a few decades but I'm too sentimental to chuck it.

These days, it's been replaced by Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers and an I9 Matchstix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.