Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I edit Garmin Connect Trips

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-18-19, 05:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts

We have a great place to bike near Philly - the Schuykill River Trail. It's an old railroad right-of-way. My wife drive a half hour to get there, but we can go 20, 30, or even 50 miles with minimal road crossings, pretty level grade, and beautiful views.

The only problem is that when I do this trip I often forget to click the old Garmin on (no solution for that) or off. What I'd like to know is whether there's an option with Garmin Connect to edit the trip to remove the car ride home I erroneously capture (although 60 miles at 30mph - I have to be KOH, right?). You can edit the summary data. I don't want that. I want to edit the route by chopping off that last half-hour.

As an aside, I'd like to do analytics. Like "How fast was I going during the interval from mile x to mile y", and so forth.

Best approach? I'm reasonably computer comfortable (perhaps even savvy) and so I could (if required) write Python or Julia scripts to manipulate a trip database file. But if someone has already done this it would be better.

Thanks
Old 05-18-19, 05:46 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
You can do this using Strava.
Old 05-18-19, 05:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
You can do this using Strava.
^This. Get a free Strava account. Upload your ride. Go to that workout (as opposed to your home page) and look for the "Edit" button which looks like a pencil icon. Don't go there! To the right of that edit button is a button with three circles (ooo) which means "more choices" I think. Click that one! Then click "Crop" in the menu that appears. You can then use a slider to subtract from the beginning or the end of your workout. Save it. Export the .GPX file to your computer/laptop. Once you have that GPX file you can upload it anywhere you choose. I like Endomondo. It def works there. Or.....just use Strava for everything. I gave up Strava because Endo is more social and Strava refused to add a longboard/skateboard category.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-19, 10:10 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
^This. Get a free Strava account. Upload your ride. Go to that workout (as opposed to your home page) and look for the "Edit" button which looks like a pencil icon. Don't go there! To the right of that edit button is a button with three circles (ooo) which means "more choices" I think. Click that one! Then click "Crop" in the menu that appears. You can then use a slider to subtract from the beginning or the end of your workout. Save it. Export the .GPX file to your computer/laptop. Once you have that GPX file you can upload it anywhere you choose. I like Endomondo. It def works there. Or.....just use Strava for everything. I gave up Strava because Endo is more social and Strava refused to add a longboard/skateboard category.

Cheers!
Thanks all, and thanks Joey for the explicit instructions. I signed up for Strava, uploaded my Garmin data, and cropped the car ride out of the bike trip. Worked great!

Your note brought up an interesting point. You prefer a "more social" app. I'd prefer an app that is LESS social. Neither viewpoint is good or bad, it's just that we differ, which is ok. I'm very skeptical about sharing my personal data. I don't think that the folks running Facebook or Twitter or Google or good old Alexa are my friends. They are willing to provide some value provided I give them personal data that they use to extract more value - from me. Some are ok with that, some aren't. I'm not. My point is, this made me think about stand-along gpx editing programs, ones that DON'T share your personal data and that run on your phone or PC without requiring log in to the hive mind. GPS Track Editor (web page here, has a list of other off-line editors) or the open-source GpsMaster programs look promising. If I test these I'll let everyone know results.

I've created a faux persona with a valid email address and plan to change pretty much all accounts I have to that faux persona. At the very least, I can get most spam going to my faux email account.

Whenever I see or hear of a new "must have" app for which I must log in using facebook or google, I am reminded of the line in Pilgrim's Progress:

"Then it came burning hot into my mind, whatever he said, and however he flattered, when he got me home to his house he would sell me for a slave. So I bid him forbear to talk; for I would not come near the door of his house. "
Old 05-19-19, 11:15 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
We have a great place to bike near Philly - the Schuykill River Trail. It's an old railroad right-of-way. My wife drive a half hour to get there, but we can go 20, 30, or even 50 miles with minimal road crossings, pretty level grade, and beautiful views.

The only problem is that when I do this trip I often forget to click the old Garmin on (no solution for that) or off. What I'd like to know is whether there's an option with Garmin Connect to edit the trip to remove the car ride home I erroneously capture (although 60 miles at 30mph - I have to be KOH, right?). You can edit the summary data. I don't want that. I want to edit the route by chopping off that last half-hour.

As an aside, I'd like to do analytics. Like "How fast was I going during the interval from mile x to mile y", and so forth.

Best approach? I'm reasonably computer comfortable (perhaps even savvy) and so I could (if required) write Python or Julia scripts to manipulate a trip database file. But if someone has already done this it would be better.

Thanks
I have done the same thing from time to time, got home with extra mileage. One of the most embarrassing was the time I got held up in traffic and the car portion of the "ride" actually reduced my average speed
Old 05-19-19, 05:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Thanks all, and thanks Joey for the explicit instructions. I signed up for Strava, uploaded my Garmin data, and cropped the car ride out of the bike trip. Worked great!
Happy to help. I use Strava to crop out my home or workplace during commutes when I forget to turn off the GPS a few blocks before arriving to those places. Strava offers a "circle of mystery" to a distance of your choosing to automatically protect your start/finish points. Endomondo does not, so I resort to going back to Strava for a visit.

Your note brought up an interesting point. You prefer a "more social" app. I'd prefer an app that is LESS social. Neither viewpoint is good or bad, it's just that we differ, which is ok. I'm very skeptical about sharing my personal data...
I NEVER use my real name on the Internet. And thankfully, my real name is shared with famous athletes, politicians, and other very famous persons, so finding the real me with only my name to go by is nearly impossible anyway. Double firewall! Recently Facebook deleted my account because i used an alias and a Facebook-only Email address. They let it go until congress started getting serious with Zuckerberg. Then Facebook got serious with me. I will never hand over my actual information like that to a social media venue on the Web.

Most of my friends on Endomondo are European with a large amount from Poland somehow. I stick to those members who skate/skateboard AND post photos of their adventures. I use it as entertainment just like BF. And typing practice since my current job does not require typing.

I've created a faux persona with a valid email address and plan to change pretty much all accounts I have to that faux persona. At the very least, I can get most spam going to my faux email account.
I do exactly the same. Along with decent identity theft prevention. Can't blame you there.