Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel is Real.. Explain?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel is Real.. Explain?

Old 05-20-19, 10:57 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
As mentioned earlier, it’s merely a catch-phrase that carries a tinge of snobbish weight. Basically an iteration of “Look at me, I’m retro and therefore I’m cool.” Mind you, I’m only referring to the phrase itself in its present form. In reality, steel bikes are still as viable and practical as any other bike built today. They are also collectible which cannot be said of aluminum or carbon bikes, for the most part. I’m not calling people who own steel bikes snobs - I’m just saying the phrase itself carries weight. At present, I own four old steel-framed bikes and one newer aluminum frame/carbon fork bike - all are ridden often. Because of modern construction techniques, I can barely tell the difference in ride and performance between my 1980 Pro Miyata and my 2015 Cannondale CAADX - they feel very similar. It kind of boils down to personal preference. But the phrase “Steel is Real” pretty much means nothing.
Old 05-20-19, 10:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
CF made sense to me when I was running rock hard 23-25mm tires. I liked how it damped the vibrations. But once I started running 32-38mm tires at low pressure, the vibrations are not really an issue, and CF bikes I’ve tried feel “dead” to me. I like steel bikes that have some give and spring.

However, not all steel bike have give and a nice spring. Some are too stiff.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-20-19, 11:07 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Steel is real.............heavy.

Steel is real.............flexy.

I love how so many people tout the properties of different frames (of any material) ...........then ride 23mm Gatorskins on their classic steel bike while they weight like 200 lbs.

Also, none of the hipsters bother to run tubs either. Being that a tub would be more traditional for the bike AND be more comfortable.

Put 23mm Gators on a Ti frame and 28mm Vittoria G+ on a cheapo Chinese carbon frame and I bet the cheapo Chinese carbon "rides nicer".
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-20-19, 11:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why would you assume steel technology also won't advance?
And indeed it has, e.g. modern, weldable, air-hardening alloys like Reynolds 853 and martensitic-aging stainless steel alloy Reynolds 953.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-20-19, 11:17 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
Lots of ignorance in this thread.

Modern steel tubing can be made into frames with any ride characteristics desired, as stiff and responsive as you want, and surprisingly light.

Crappy carbon layup can produce a heavy frame that rides like ****.

It's more about the skill of the builder and how much money you bring to the table than the material. Take your pick.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-20-19, 11:18 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts

Heavy is reliable. 39lbs as shown, 66 years olds and still faster than many carbon mamils. Uphill. Normal clothes. Bag on the rack.
Likes For Kovkov:
Old 05-20-19, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ever dropped it on your Foot? gets Real then..

A steel frame can be made without a major expenditure on machinery,

and so is within reach of the individual builder..

On my Bike tour in England , 1991, , I happened across a fellow had a rack of hand files,

a bench vice, and the brazing torch .. in the bottom floor of a maybe 400 year old house..

in Nottingham..

and he made race frames for the pros and some even got badged by Raleigh for their riders..

Mid 70s I built 1 frame with borrowed shop space and tools... still have it,,,

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-25-19 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-20-19, 11:20 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I can barely tell the difference in ride and performance between my 1980 Pro Miyata and my 2015 Cannondale CAADX - they feel very similar.
That's a pretty shocking statement, and I find it difficult to believe, but it does make me want to try out the new Cannondales.
Old 05-20-19, 11:31 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
These responses are amazing, I would have quoted many of you and so many of the replies had me laughing.
I wasn't expecting that big of a response so quickly.

As I had said all of my bikes before the one I own were steel.. But that was 20 years before I bought my Giant Toughroad..
Going into buying a bike.. When I was asking people what to buy. Everyone pointed me to aluminum bikes..
I wanted a decent bike that could handle the road and some dirt trails while being pretty quick With a budget of under $1000 and sure there are plenty of options and I am sure many of them could have out performed my Toughroad SLR2 but I didn't know much of what I was looking at.. The levels of groupsets and Where the value came in. When I first lifted my Toughroad I thought it to be quite light.. but I was only comparing it to the bikes where I was..
I forget the weights of my steel framed Peugeot Limestone from 1991 which was Black with Grey coloring. I just remembered loving that bike so much.
The derailleurs were **** though haha and I kept getting flats and didn't know why (Tube pinching). So I wanted something of that feel.. The toughroad did bring me closer to that feeling after test riding a bunch of bikes..

Saying that.. The Toughroad SLR2 won't be the last bike I own, I have regained my love for riding.. And Would like a few dif types of builds and yes also materials as well..
I would enjoy a nice Quality Steel frame bike. I would be willing to invest nicely into one.. Before I picked one up.. I would look at various different makes and models. I'll look into Chromoly frames more now.

Thank You Everyone.
Old 05-20-19, 11:35 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/inter...-logic-review/

this guy is the king of Steel
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 05-20-19, 11:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Good read.

I look at a steel frame, and springs are made out of steel - on optimum spring is something that absorbs energy and releases energy. So they don't make springs out of aluminum, they barely make springs out of carbon fibre - they do make some springs out of titanium but with some limitations. But in the same way that a spoke is steel and an axle is steel and a chain is steel and other things on the bike that are important are made of steel - a frame is steel for a reason.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-20-19, 11:45 AM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Good read.
Nice, I like it
Old 05-20-19, 12:01 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
And...

Ti is Fly!

....better get back to work before this degenerates further!
Likes For jlaw:
Old 05-20-19, 12:11 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Why not just have all? Appreciate all the materials. I don't bother with people who think that one material is someone so superior then others. Anyone who thinks carbon fiber is "plastic" imo is an idiot or should I say ignorant to be nicer. Anyone who thinks carbon fiber is the end all be all, same.

Frame design, wheels, tires, imo have a larger impact then material when it comes to comfort. Too many variables then just frame material.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-20-19, 12:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
Where did I state it wasn't? I did state its not as advanced as Carbon given its flexibility, but I'm curious to hear how far advanced you think it can still move forward?
You're kidding, right? You called it "the keepsake of the nostalgia crowd" and compared it to "horse and buggy". If you weren't trying to imply it was a dead line of technology, you need some writing lessons.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the technology, but hard for me to believe that technological advances in welding, milling, shaping, and design have come to end.
Old 05-20-19, 12:18 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
Anyone who thinks carbon fiber is "plastic" imo is an idiot or should I say ignorant to be nicer.
Carbon frames are literally made of a fiber-reinforced plastic.
Old 05-20-19, 12:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
These responses are amazing, I would have quoted many of you and so many of the replies had me laughing.
I wasn't expecting that big of a response so quickly.

As I had said all of my bikes before the one I own were steel.. But that was 20 years before I bought my Giant Toughroad..
Going into buying a bike.. When I was asking people what to buy. Everyone pointed me to aluminum bikes..
I wanted a decent bike that could handle the road and some dirt trails while being pretty quick With a budget of under $1000 and sure there are plenty of options and I am sure many of them could have out performed my Toughroad SLR2 but I didn't know much of what I was looking at.. The levels of groupsets and Where the value came in. When I first lifted my Toughroad I thought it to be quite light.. but I was only comparing it to the bikes where I was..
I forget the weights of my steel framed Peugeot Limestone from 1991 which was Black with Grey coloring. I just remembered loving that bike so much.
The derailleurs were **** though haha and I kept getting flats and didn't know why (Tube pinching). So I wanted something of that feel.. The toughroad did bring me closer to that feeling after test riding a bunch of bikes..

Saying that.. The Toughroad SLR2 won't be the last bike I own, I have regained my love for riding.. And Would like a few dif types of builds and yes also materials as well..
I would enjoy a nice Quality Steel frame bike. I would be willing to invest nicely into one.. Before I picked one up.. I would look at various different makes and models. I'll look into Chromoly frames more now.

Thank You Everyone.
Hey have fun! You may end up with a small stable of different kinds of bikes by the sounds of things.
Old 05-20-19, 12:26 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Carbon frames are literally made of a fiber-reinforced plastic.
Yes a carbon thread and generally polyepoxide forming a matrix. Calling it plastic is a gross simplification. Likewise concrete is not a rock. But to those who coin the term that carbon fiber is plastic to them is a derogatory word used to emphasize that their opinion; is that carbon fiber is somehow inferior, and weak.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-20-19, 12:30 PM
goldensprocket
Banned.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Good read.

"So they don't make springs out of aluminum, they barely make springs out of carbon fibre - they do make some springs out of titanium but with some limitations. But in the same way that a spoke is steel and an axle is steel and a chain is steel and other things on the bike that are important are made of steel - a frame is steel for a reason."

That guy's head would explode if he saw my former bike (RIP) that had aluminum spokes, a Ti spring, and aluminum axles.

Or all of the bikes, including my current ones, that use aluminum axles (Chris King, Industry Nine,, DT Swiss, Shimano, etc.).

Or all of the wheels being sold that use aluminum spokes.

Old 05-20-19, 12:33 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I think it's a nod towards the history and an appreciation of the origins of steel frames, whether it's perceived craftsmanship or ride quality. Personally, I have found that my tastes have evolved from a desire for the latest CF aero bikes to the simplicity and craftsmanship of classic steel frames...more of a Neo Retro Velo. Personal taste really, some like modern cars, some like classic cars.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 05-20-19, 12:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 86az135i
Yes a carbon thread and generally polyepoxide forming a matrix. Calling it plastic is a gross simplification. Likewise concrete is not a rock. But to those who coin the term that carbon fiber is plastic to them is a derogatory word used to emphasize that their opinion; is that carbon fiber is somehow inferior, and weak.
Is plywood wood? It's really a wood/glue composite.

Is reinforced concrete concrete?

I understand the point you're making, but its plasticity is actually a selling point for the material and plastic is a major component of the matrix.
Old 05-20-19, 12:49 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Is plywood wood? It's really a wood/glue composite.

Is reinforced concrete concrete?

I understand the point you're making, but its plasticity is actually a selling point for the material and plastic is a major component of the matrix.
Plywood, I would not consider to be merely wood. But composed of it yes. But we can argue semantics all day and have fun.

I agree with what you're saying. But people calling CFFP plastic, is a clear attempt to mislead people and derogate the product.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-20-19, 12:50 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You're kidding, right? You called it "the keepsake of the nostalgia crowd" and compared it to "horse and buggy". If you weren't trying to imply it was a dead line of technology, you need some writing lessons.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the technology, but hard for me to believe that technological advances in welding, milling, shaping, and design have come to end.
It "is" the keepsake of the nostalgia crowd, and horse and buggy refers to people who can't or won't look at modern technology. Exactly what I said.
Likes For Slick Madone:
Old 05-20-19, 12:52 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hey have fun! You may end up with a small stable of different kinds of bikes by the sounds of things.
HAHAHA That is a plan of Mine!
Old 05-20-19, 12:54 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I wonder why the author, a proponent of steel, is rolling around on an aluminum wheelset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.