Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling in California

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling in California

Old 05-20-19, 09:41 AM
Defyme

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling in California

This August, I will be in Pasadena, CA for business and would like to rent a road bike the weekend before my meetings. I'd also like to head to Calabasas and visit Pedlar's Fork. Does anyone know any 40-60 mile bike routes that they would recommend that pass through Calabasas? Based on the maps in Ride With GPS, I did not see a lot of options. Most routes follow the coast line from what I can see.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.
Old 05-20-19, 11:01 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.strava.com/clubs/306728/group_events/207862
Old 05-21-19, 09:05 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,664 Posts
best routes in pasadena are directly north into the san gabriel (san gabes) mountains which make up most of angeles national forest.
ca hwy 2, ca hwy 39 and glendora mountain road are all classics in socal and worthy of your attention. bring your climbing legs tho.

south of calabasas lie the santa monica mountains. a veritable climber's paradise. mulholland, encinal canyon, corral canyon, tuna canyon (crazy descent),
fernwood dr, stunt rd, piuma rd, topanga canyon rd (ca hwy 27), old topanga rd, las flores rd, deer creek rd, yerba buena rd, latigo canyon,
decker canyon/westlake blvd/ca hwy 23, saddle peak rd are all must do's. oh...don't forget pch from topanga canyon (ca hwy 27) west to deer creek
rd. you could cram all these into two 80+ mile rides or three 60 milers. good luck. again, bring your legs.

for both areas, you'll want to hydrate/eat well beforehand and pack two full bottles and probably a clif bar or two as you can't count on water and/or supplies
once you enter into either mounain range. if you come across something, the recommendation is to stop and purchase or fill up at the sake of destroying your
"rhythm/momentum." for safety purposes, i'd rock a back blinky light + brightly colored jersey.

august will necessitate starting at dawn to avoid the hottest parts of the day either in the pasadena or calabasas area. it's a win win since you'll be riding
on the weekend and both places tend to start getting busy w/traffic after 11am.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-21-19 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 11:13 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Just an fyi--the first Sunday of every month there is a classic/vintage bike ride that leaves from the Rose Bowl at 11am. They prefer you ride a c&v bike but invite you to ride with them regardless of what your ride is.
Jon
Old 05-21-19, 11:52 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,664 Posts
^so sweet. i think there used to be a comparable ride here in san diego that departed from balboa park once a month but haven't seen any info on it in a decade.
Old 05-22-19, 06:30 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Pretty much anywhere except San Francisco with the filth they have in the streets.