Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Forum - Wall of Remembrance

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Forum - Wall of Remembrance

Old 01-29-08, 09:50 AM
bidaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.rideofsilence.org/memoriam.php

Old 01-30-08, 08:37 PM
cyclehen
too old for bike shorts?

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jonathan Zanin, Richmond Virginia, May 2007
https://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=14393
Old 02-04-08, 09:04 AM
ataraxium
Sultan of Slow

Bikes: Mystery Bike, Specialized '08 Tricross, No-name Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, yesterday about 20 miles out from the end of our century ride we got a call about an accident. Two of the local riders on a different ride were hit by a car. One was killed and the other is in ICU.
https://columbusbikeracing.blogspot.c...be-missed.html

To think that my group was going to be on this ride if not for a scheduling issue...damn.
Old 02-04-08, 09:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
SHELDON BROWN

Sheldon Brown: 1944 - 2008

"Dear Harris Cyclery friends and customers,
It is with heavy hearts that we convey to you the news that Sheldon Brown has passed away. Our thoughts go out to his family at this time. The cycling community has lost one of it's most passionate members."
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-15-08, 09:44 PM
barndoor
5' 19"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lloyd Clarke

Killed by a young driver that "didn't see him" in Colorado in 2007......a valued member
of my bike club.

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 03-09-08, 11:28 PM
msincredible
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kristy Gough, 31 and Matt Peterson, 30
Killed by a deputy's car in Cupertino

Rest in peace.
Old 04-18-08, 12:06 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Randal Scott McCollum

4-18-08
Killed by a hit and run driver
Arlington, TX

Police are still looking for the driver.
Old 04-30-08, 06:10 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommy Choi , 13, of Martinez, California. The report stated the 16 year old driver did not appear to be speeding.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 05-01-08, 12:02 AM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommy Choi, 13

4-29-08
Martinez, California

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 05-01-08, 07:35 AM
cristina
yippy skippy

Bikes: Windsor Clockwork Plus, Raleigh Cadient i8, Scott CR1, Specialized Dolce Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Craig Robert Murphey. 1981-2007. Community Organizer for Cathedral Community Cares and West Harlem Action Network Against Poverty. Killed by a truck, 10/18/07, while riding his bike in Williamsburg (Brooklyn), NY."

www.craigmurphey.com
Old 05-20-08, 10:32 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
I did not know John Cuchessi, but rather I learned of his death while doing a Google search for bicycle news:

Popular San Clemente businessman dies in bicycle mishap
San Clemente's John Cuchessi, 54, mysteriously turned and crashed Sunday while doing what he loved best.

https://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...6724-bike-shop

When John Cuchessi went for his final bike ride Sunday, he could not have known the impact he would leave behind in San Clemente.
"He can't be replaced – not in my heart anyhow," said his friend and cycling buddy Gary Nicotra.
"He's been such a great person in the cycling community of San Clemente," said Susan Tudor, a friend.
"Nicest guy in town," said Dave Cook, San Clemente's municipal golf-course pro and a Cuchessi surfing buddy since they were kids.
Cuchessi, 54, died Sunday while returning from a bike ride to Camp Pendleton – a ride that he and the San Clemente Renegades did every Sunday.
Witnesses said Cuchessi was on a downhill bicycle sprint from a railroad overcrossing at San Onofre State Beach when he suddenly, mysteriously turned to the right and hit a fence. He reportedly died in an ambulance on his way to Saddleback Memorial Medical Center in San Clemente.
As word spread, the hospital filled with stunned friends and relatives. San Clemente Cyclery – the business Cuchessi founded in 1974 – became a shrine with flowers and messages.
Friends painted a picture of a businessman generous to a fault. He would repeatedly say "Pay me next time" and would drop whatever he was doing to perform a quick bicycle repair for someone at his door.
"A wonderful heart, a wonderful spirit," Joe Rodarti said.
Patrick Maloney, who delivered mail to the bike shop and had known Cuchessi since childhood, attended a Bible study that Cuchessi held on Thursday nights in the shop. "He remembered everybody's name … remembered something good about everybody," Maloney said. "People would go to his bike shop and stay. They just loved him. He loved them back."
Mike Morrill, a cycling pal for 31 years, said: "He had a food bank that he ran out of his shop. He was helping the homeless guys out with food."
Nicotra said he, Cuchessi and a few others founded the San Clemente Renegades in the early 1990s as an offshoot of the San Clemente Velos, a racing group. "We decided to start our own recreational club," Nicotra said. "We're more of a social club. There's about 80 of us. Some of us do race, but we're more about just promoting cycling and fellowship."
The club holds holiday parties and takes recreational rides, including the one to the south end of Camp Pendleton on Sundays.
"One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet," Nicotra said of Cuchessi. "I feel like I've been robbed. How many people do you know in business who feed homeless people and take bikes to orphanages in Mexico?"
Old 05-21-08, 08:57 AM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read of the bad news in this morning's OCR about John Cochessi; he was a great mechanic. Whenever it came to making changes that would help someone get out and ride, John knew what to do. A pair of Gators, Look cleats, a tune-up ... he was the kind of guy you enjoyed doing business with. Honest! Tough luck; I just can't understand how it happened on that stretch.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-16-22 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 12:02 PM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tasha Enloe, 41, died May 28, 2008. Tasha was a member of the Old Tascosa Cycling Club. She was riding along I-40 near Vega, TX when she was hit and killed. Tasha was also a breast cancer survivor.

https://www.amarillo.com/stories/052808/obi_obit2.shtml
https://myhighplains.com/content/fulltext/?cid=8749
Old 05-28-08, 12:03 PM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tasha Enloe, 41, died May 28, 2008. Tasha was a member of the Old Tascosa Cycling Club. She was riding along I-40 near Vega, TX when she was hit and killed. Tasha was also a breast cancer survivor.

https://www.amarillo.com/stories/052808/obi_obit2.shtml
https://myhighplains.com/content/fulltext/?cid=8749
Old 06-03-08, 08:19 PM
hrt4me

Bikes: Cervelo P2, Scott S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alejandro Alvarez, 37, of Monterrey, Mexico.
Old 06-05-08, 12:55 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Gordon Galbraith, of Anderson, Indiana. Killed in Beech Grove, Indiana in a hit and run while riding his bicycle.

https://www.topix.com/forum/source/wi...PH0N73V031KQS7

If anyone happens to have info, contact the Beech Grove PD, Beech Grove, Indiana.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-08-08, 05:00 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
6-8-08
Meredith Hatch and Michael Alfaro were struck and killed by a suspected drunk driver.

DMN Story

UPDATE:
Last night's CBS 11 Story.

This morning, the driver was charged with two counts of Intoxication Manslaughter.
Fox 4's Story.

Last edited by MMACH 5; 06-09-08 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 03:31 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alejandro Alverez is the Mexican racer killed by the drunk driver near Brownsville, TX, on June 3, 2008. Joe's obit is from bicyclepaper.com

Originally Posted by Joe 'Metal Cowboy' Kurmaskie
Farewell To a Friend

Alejandro Alverez had a way of moving a bicycle so effortlessly that, even though I stood half a foot taller than him, he dwarfed me with his skills. My friend from Monterrey, Mexico rode like it was the first and last time he might own a pair of legs. I hated him a little for that. But he seemed to live as effortlessly as he rode and for that I loved Alejandro as a brother. I featured him in the final chapter of Riding Outside The Lines, and tried, but surely failed, to learn much from his style.

We met on a mountain bike adventure high in the hills above Puerto Vallarto. Alejandro and Chiquis were our guides for the week. When I asked why they weren’t taking the small airplane of questionable mechanical repute the next morning, Chiquis mumbled something about being attached to living for another day, but it was Alejandro who offered up the real reason, “Because I want to get in a warm-up ride.”

Sweet weeping Jesus, that warm-up ride involved pedaling uphill while we flew, not metaphorically, but actually flew to the starting point. When Alejandro arrived not ten minutes behind the last panic stricken shuttle of tourists and bicycles, many of whom were kissing the ground after disembarking the Cesna, I knew I wanted to hang with my guides more than any of the guests.

“When did you start?” I asked. His smile was the size of the world. “Today.”

Autumn in the mountain town of San Sebastian, high up on “La buffa,” is almost heaven. We were relaxing in what was still John Houston’s villa. Lit only by hurricane lamps and a fat harvest moon, we decided to hike out to a cornfield where a flatbed truck missing its wheels, but featuring a working radio, provided a comfortable bed to view the stars. We passed around some herb and concurred that even Mexican radio stations overplay the Eagles.

By the end of the week the three of us were joined at the hip. On a long climb, just to show me how strong he was, Alejandro would talk during the push to the top of the switchback. And though he would not have been confused for a New Age facilitator, at that moment he did ask me what animal I would compare my riding style to. I told him el gato, but only because that it was one of the few animal names I knew how to say in Spanish and to say in one quick breath. He knew as much, laughing so hard I was able to pass him for a few yards. When this racer, once ranked number one in Mexico, caught up, Alejandro looked me in the eye, gave me a keen smile and said, “ No, no, my friend. I ride like el gato. I float and glide and pedal lightly. You? More like el armadillo.”

On the downhill, back in earshot, I yelled, “The world needs armadillos, you know!”

So last week, when someone emailed me the link to that article and horrific photo of the bike race tragedy in which a Texas man killed a cyclist and injured 10 more in a drunk driving nightmare in Mexico, I did what most of you who saw it did. I wrung my hands, felt a piece of myself sag, and even though it is not my daily practice, I said a silent prayer for the dead. Then I read the name of the cyclist who had been killed. Then his age and his hometown, and, this respect for the passing of an anonymous fellow cyclist became very personal. The bottom fell out of my heart and I desperately needed to put some speed in the saddle, some velocity to help slow my anger and dull this loss.

When I told Alejandro I thought he was bigger than Mexico’s race scene, that he could be a player on the world stage, he just smiled, “You know, I used to sell crap to tourists at the airport. We are friends now so I say it’s a nice idea, but it won’t sell for someone like me, someone from here...not today.”

I like to think that the reason Alejandro was the one cyclist out of 420 racers who got his ticket punched that day...he was the one out front, always floating and gliding and making it look effortless.

Last edited by randya; 07-03-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 01:09 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alice Rowan Swanson, age 22. 2007 graduate of Amherst College.

July 8, 2008, 7:40 a.m. Washington DC, near the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and R Street. Run over by a truck turning onto 20th Street NW.
Old 07-08-08, 11:00 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Death of 22yr.-old female cyclist in DC

Alice Swanson, A 22yr.-old female cyclist, was killed yesterday at 8:15am, in Washington DC. When she was hit by a garbage truck at the intersection of 20th and Q Sts., NW.......BY A GARBAGE TRUCK.

For those that don't live in(or near) Washington, DC, this is part of the business district.

While she was killed, near the end of rush hour, it still goes to the fact of driver responsibility.

It also goes to, how cyclists are responded to, the same way as, those on motorcycles and, mopeds. People don't look for them, even if they are aware of their existence.

Last edited by Chris516; 08-04-11 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-09-08, 07:39 AM
lokerola

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, that was a terrible incident here in DC. Shook me up. Here is the link from the Washingtonpost.com (you may have to register for free to see this). My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070800975.html

Originally Posted by Chris516
Alice Swanson, A 22yr.-old female cyclist, was killed yesterday at 8:15am, in Washington DC. When she was hit by a garbage truck at the intersection of 20th and Q Sts., NW. By a garbage truck.

For those that don't live in(or near) Washington, DC, this is part of the business district.

While she was killed, near the end of rush hour, it still goes to the fact of driver responsibility.

It also goes to, how cyclists are responded to, the same way as, those on motorcycles and, mopeds. People don't look for them, even if they are aware of their existence.

Old 07-11-08, 01:48 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rest in Peace: Nancy Sellars, 48, of Franklin, WI

https://www.journaltimes.com/articles...4272926050.txt

Killed by a hit and run driver who was later arrested but then released on bond. Charged with DUI and possible other charges dependent on the investigation.

"Sellars was an avid athlete. Just last month she was part of Team Badger Bikers in the Race Across America, an ultra-endurance cycling event. The 3,000 mile bicycle race started from Oceanside and stretched through 15 states, across the Rockies and the Appalachians, and finished in Annapolis, Maryland.

The Wisconsin team rode to benefit the Make A Wish Foundation of Wisconsin.

Sellars also finished four Ironman Triathlons, three 50 mile runs, five 50k runs, five Birkebeiner ski races and over a dozen marathons."

This is a beautiful area with wonderful roads. However, 3 years ago I was run down from behind by a hit and run driver as well just a few miles from here.

This is very sad news.
Old 07-16-08, 08:28 AM
wiggles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just read through the thread... hats off and heart out to all of the cyclists and their families.
Old 07-17-08, 06:32 PM
tallycast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In memory of Jaryd Brown, killed on Apalachee Parkway in Tallahassee Florida, May 21st, 2008.

https://www.tallycast.com/2008/05/21/...bikecar-crash/
Old 08-04-08, 02:37 PM
nycwtorres

Bikes: Aluminum Falcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.ghostbikes.org/new-york-city

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.