Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

How to sit?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

How to sit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 05:56 PM
Kryten41

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How to sit?

Hello,
I bought a cruiser about 3 weeks ago with the intent of riding approximately 5 miles per day around my neighborhood to get fresh air and a little exercise. I found that riding my old road bike started causing me neck pain. My question is: How are you supposed to sit on a cruiser? Do you sit with your back arched, or do you lean forward, or what? I seem to be getting lower back pain from riding my cruiser, so I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks.
Old 06-06-18, 07:00 PM
Kryten41

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the cheapest one I could find because I wasn't sure about back and knee issues--Ozone Malibu 26" from Academy. I'd rather waste $73 than $300. I just added a lay-back seat post yesterday to see if that will give me a little more leg room and hopefully reduce the possibility of knee problems. I have the seat adjusted so I can put one foot on the ground while seated.
Old 06-08-18, 06:46 AM
Jimbo47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Riding a cruiser you have different muscles that come into play. Your back pain is more than likely because your abdominal and core muscles are carrying more of the load than stretched out over a road bike frame.
Try to shorten your trips at first, and gradually increase as to help build up strength in those muscles.
Exercises to build core strength will help as well.

Last edited by Jimbo47; 06-08-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 08:42 AM
Kryten41

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice Jimbo. Can you give me a tip as to posture--should I try to ride with my butt tucked under or sticking out? Should I lean forward a bit and put some of my weight on the handlebars, or lean back with all my weight on the seat?
Old 06-08-18, 08:51 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kryten41
Thanks for the advice Jimbo. Can you give me a tip as to posture--should I try to ride with my butt tucked under or sticking out? Should I lean forward a bit and put some of my weight on the handlebars, or lean back with all my weight on the seat?
All of the above. I change my posture frequently so I don't become stiff. I slouch with a rounded back and my hands down by the stem and very bent elbows for a while, then I'll change to fully straight back and hands on the grips, then I'll do the lean forward thing with my hands in front of the grips for a while. I change for hills, for wind, for traffic, for speed, etc. Just experiment.
Old 06-08-18, 01:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
A laid back seatpost can cause you to hyperextend your legs and lower back. It will also force you to have to lean forward too much. As stated, experiment with different riding positions and postures. Also, make sure the seatpost is at a comfortable height for correct leg extension, and don't put the seat back too far,...that definitely causes lower back pain and neck aches. You're probably stretching your arms and upper torso too far out, causing strain.
Old 06-14-18, 09:26 PM
runSPOTrun

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Rather than adjusting your seat position with a custom seat post, get yourself an adjustable stem. With the ability to quickly (relatively [usually just an allen wrench]) change the angle of your handlebars, you can find a body position that works well for you. As mentioned above, moving your seat back can cause serious lower back pain since the vertical force your legs are applying is too far in front of your core. If your willing to go to the trouble of re-cabling your gears and breaks go ahead and get some high bars! In my opinion high bars are not only comfortable (you sit upright that way reducing neck and core strain), but they are stylish and much safer. With your arms almost straight out (like driving a car) you are much more able to absorb the pressure from a sudden stop, and much less likely to go over the bars in the event of a collision. I honestly don't know why high bars are so rare on new adult bikes. Hope that gives you food for thought.
Old 06-15-18, 02:05 PM
Kryten41

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I add high bars, I'm afraid I'll also have to add a banana seat and a sissy bar--the shape of my cruiser's frame looks an awful lot like the stingray bike I had as a kid. Seriously though, I took tds101's advice and removed the lay-back seat post and put the original seat post back on. My knees don't go over my toes at 3:00 pedal position, so hopefully I won't cause myself knee pain even though I don't have sufficient leg extension (I refuse to raise the seat so high that I can't touch the ground with one foot while seated). I'm still trying to figure out posture, I've even done a few cow/cats(yoga reference) while riding.
Old 06-18-18, 09:05 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

(I refuse to raise the seat so high that I can't touch the ground with one foot while seated).
In my opinion, that is the source of your problem. Bikes need to fit properly in order to be efficient and comfortable while riding. I adjust my saddle and handlebar position for maximum comfort for my spine, legs, neck and wrists while riding. I am happy to make the sacrifice of standing at a red light for 90 seconds for the payoff of supreme comfort during the many hours of pedaling, cruising, accelerating, carving through corners, climbing, zooming downhill, fighting wind, and enjoying the scenery that I do.

Of all my bikes, the one that fits me best while riding is one that is so tall I can't even stand over without leaning it to one side. But I don't care at all because it fits like a glove when I'm rolling.

Even on my cruisers, I have my legs set up for pedaling, not stopping.

You might experiment a little. It's free, easy, and you can always return things to where you started if the results don't please you.

Old 06-18-18, 09:19 AM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree....my bikes have been adjusted to fit me...I also have to lean to get my feet to touch the ground..keep my saddle up so my there is a slight "very slight" bend at my at my knee when my feet are on the pedals...then i adjust my handlebars to where i feel comfortable...if it doesn't feel right when you are riding you will not enjoy riding the bike....best of luck!!
Old 06-18-18, 02:36 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I'm the same as everyone else here. I set up every bike I ride so that I have to LEAN to have my feet touch the ground when I'm standing still. I used to get knee pain before I did this. I have no such issues now,...
Old 06-18-18, 04:14 PM
Kryten41

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the advice. So far my knee is doing fine, but my lower back isn't so sure this is a good idea. Advice as to correct posture would be appreciated--I've found lots of info on the internet on proper posture for a road bike, not so much for beach cruisers.
Old 07-04-18, 06:40 PM
Kryten41

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I've really cracked it this time--sit high and tall, as if being pulled upward by a string attached to the crown of your head. This prevents slumping, slouching, shoulder hunching, etc. I adjusted my mirror so the view is perfect in what I perceive as the correct posture, if I look in the mirror and the view isn't correct I know I need to adjust my posture. Also, to make the knees happy, no mashing--start slowly from a stop, no need to rush to get up to speed. It's a cruiser, supposed to be fun and relaxing, right? I had a couple of days that weren't too windy and this seems to be working.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 07-04-18, 06:52 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I think I've really cracked it this time--sit high and tall, as if being pulled upward by a string attached to the crown of your head. This prevents slumping, slouching, shoulder hunching, etc. I adjusted my mirror so the view is perfect in what I perceive as the correct posture, if I look in the mirror and the view isn't correct I know I need to adjust my posture. Also, to make the knees happy, no mashing--start slowly from a stop, no need to rush to get up to speed. It's a cruiser, supposed to be fun and relaxing, right? I had a couple of days that weren't too windy and this seems to be working.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 07-04-18, 07:16 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo47
Riding a cruiser you have different muscles that come into play. Your back pain is more than likely because your abdominal and core muscles are carrying more of the load than stretched out over a road bike frame.
Try to shorten your trips at first, and gradually increase as to help build up strength in those muscles.
Exercises to build core strength will help as well.
This and weight loss. But no one size fits all. Position yourself so it doesn't hurt.
Old 08-26-18, 03:41 PM
deathcrow76

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
I'm the same as everyone else here. I set up every bike I ride so that I have to LEAN to have my feet touch the ground when I'm standing still. I used to get knee pain before I did this. I have no such issues now,...
What do you mean when you have to lean to touch the ground? I have knee issues and I know my seat is not adjusted properly. Sorry if it's a silly question I just don't understand. Do you mean have it up high so you have to tip-toe to touch the ground?
Old 08-26-18, 05:14 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by deathcrow76
What do you mean when you have to lean to touch the ground? I have knee issues and I know my seat is not adjusted properly. Sorry if it's a silly question I just don't understand. Do you mean have it up high so you have to tip-toe to touch the ground?
I have a bad right knee, and I have my bike set up so I can casually ride my bike with almost full leg extension. This takes pressure off of my knee when I ride, and helps to prevent knee pain. And YES, I have to lean either to the LEFT or RIGHT when I stop my bike. I moved the seat further forward so I'm closer to the cranks on my pedal forward cruiser. I definitely have to tippy toe to stay upright,...but I'd have inadequate leg extension if I DIDN'T have the seat so high up,...and my knee would be in worse shape. Correct leg extension helps prevent pain and further injury,...riding with a huge bend in the knees puts undue stress on the joint.