Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Newbie - Looking for a Good Thrift Bike

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 11-17-18, 08:40 AM
Lil_Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What would be good small bikes for triathlons/duathlons that are sometimes found in thrift shops or craigslist? I'm just starting so I'm not looking for anything super high-end—just something light weight, dependable and good for beginners.

I'm a petite female distance runner who just started getting into bicycling. I helped my 9 YO train for her first youth Duathlon. She loved it so much she is continuing to run and bike through the winter and hopes to do more races in the spring and summer.

It looked so fun I was thinking of training for one of the smaller races myself. My current bike is a beach cruiser (heavy). I found some kind of 1990s Caloi with an aluminum frame for $12 (probably could use some new tires), but I'm wondering if I should keep looking around.
Old 11-21-18, 07:08 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil_Red
I found some kind of 1990s Caloi with an aluminum frame for $12 (probably could use some new tires), but I'm wondering if I should keep looking around.
Is that Caloi a road bike? If it is, and the frame fits you, putting a few dollars into fixing that up might be your best bet. Otherwise, you just need to keep looking around on Graigslist, and other selling websights. Ask your local bike shop too. They might have something.

But I will also add that if you plan on trying a triathlon...if you're not much of a swimmer...you need to tend to that. Lots of first-time triathletes make the mistake of thinking the swimming portion of the race is easy.

Dan