Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Road bike wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 05:37 PM
jc650

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock and Secteur and a Cannondale Synapse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bike wheels.

Hello all I was active here for a while then kind of got away from biking seriously for a couple
years. Gaining a lot of weight Back that I had lost didn’t help either. Now that I’ve got myself back down to a respectable 240 I’m loooking to possibly get myself another set of road bike wheels kind of as a motivational reward to keep on the right track this time. Any recommendations on wheels that I don’t have to get custom built ?
Old 11-20-18, 06:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Local , Like many can (+Yours?), get wheels built by their wholesale suppliers .
Using any rims hubs and spokes in their warehouses, all at their prices..
so your wheel can come in built for less than the retail cost alone of the same parts ..

no shipping, that's part of the deal buying B&M,
and the shop checks them , at point of sale, and re checks after a little riding time.

support your LBS , they will reciprocate..

Old 11-21-18, 11:56 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You can probably get by just fine on just about any wheel set as long as you're not an ogre on the road. I'm usually about 225 and have stupid low spoke count wheels (16/20) on up to 32x32. They're all doing just fine so far.

Personally, I think 32x32 is a nice spoke count that will keep you from having to baby your wheels - you should be able to find tons of wheels like that without breaking the bank.

Something like this will likely outlast your bike: Velocity Deep V Black Shimano Ultegra 6800 Hubs 8 9 10 11 S 32H [74565] - $279.99 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 11-22-18, 02:59 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Fulcrum make well built and reliable wheels that can be very well priced. You come in at the top of their weight range but I had a clubmate that was 10kg over that for a long time and his Fulcrum 7s were faultless.
Old 11-28-18, 07:20 PM
ctsracer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bombproof Wheels

When I got back to cycling in 2009, my friend had recommended the Mavic Ksyrium Superlight wheelset saying these were bombproof. He was right, I ended up buying 3 wheelsets (used and new) and have been using them over 9 years without any issues while my weight fluctuated between 230 and 282 lbs. They are light considering the amount of weight and torque they see when I ride them. They are also very stiff using Zircal aluminum bladed spokes and rarely ever need truing. But they are not the easiest to true since the spoke sometimes get stuck in the nipple (aluminum corrosion I suspect) and then you have to order a spoke ($5-6 each). But I think they're well worth it.
Old 11-29-18, 11:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by jc650
Hello all I was active here for a while then kind of got away from biking seriously for a couple
years. Gaining a lot of weight Back that I had lost didn’t help either. Now that I’ve got myself back down to a respectable 240 I’m loooking to possibly get myself another set of road bike wheels kind of as a motivational reward to keep on the right track this time. Any recommendations on wheels that I don’t have to get custom built ?
Velomine.com

Their H+son Archetype wheelsets are very good for quality and price. You may need to tweak tension after a few rides, or have a shop do it, but thats not much to do for what you get at that price.
The 105 and Ultegra hub options are 32 or 36 spoke and some use butted spokes too. Plenty strong to handle your weight and more.
Old 02-15-19, 08:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...here is an example of what you can do with the H+Sons Archtype rims. The tyres are Jack Brown from Rivendell. I mostly built these for the wetter weather here and out of curiosity to se whether I could come up with a wheel/tyre combination that was durable, light enough to accelerate well (less rotating mass), and with enough contact patch to feel stable rolling over all the junk we get on the streets here in Sacramento in the winter, when it rains.