Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh DL-1L

Old 03-18-19, 12:36 AM
moonbelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh DL-1L

hi, new here

i want to buy a raleigh dl-1 lady's tourist bike. owner is asking $350. they think it's a 1976 model, and it looks to be in decent shape. they say that it hasn't been ridden in decades and needs a tune up, but is in riding condition. i know next to nothing about bike mechanics, but from poking around on the web all evening: a) seems this will need more than simply a tune-up, and rather some extent of restoration; and b) their asking price is quite steep, and more in line with FMV after said restoration. thoughts?
Old 03-19-19, 07:47 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by moonbelly
hi, new here

i want to buy a raleigh dl-1 lady's tourist bike. owner is asking $350. they think it's a 1976 model, and it looks to be in decent shape. they say that it hasn't been ridden in decades and needs a tune up, but is in riding condition. i know next to nothing about bike mechanics, but from poking around on the web all evening: a) seems this will need more than simply a tune-up, and rather some extent of restoration; and b) their asking price is quite steep, and more in line with FMV after said restoration. thoughts?
yes all bearings should be regreased (bottom bracket-crank, headset-steerer , front wheel hub, and rear hub. ) by someone experienced working on old bicycles. The 3 speed hub may also need to be taken apart and cleaned and reassembled . New brake pads . Removing cleaning and piling chain. Value depends a lot on where you live and condition of bike. Post 10 tomes and then add pics. A pristine all original imay be worth that....
Old 03-20-19, 08:11 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
Imagine finding an old car that has been sitting in a barn for 30 years, then towing it to a 60 minute tune up shop. No way. Same with bikes.

Bike tune ups are only suitable for bikes that are in riding condition: good tires, brake pads, bearings and grease. Tune ups around here are just basic cable adjustments. In fact, the biggest shop in my town doesn't even adjust cables on a tune up. Instead, they just do simple barrel adjustments.

A full refresh could be $300. Add more for nicer tires. If you have the time/tools/aptitude, DIY will not cost very much. At that point, its all about tire choice.

3 speed values are very location specific. DL-1s bring good $$.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-20-19 at 08:27 PM.