Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Its 5:00 AM, 27*F degrees and dark. How do you layer?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Its 5:00 AM, 27*F degrees and dark. How do you layer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 07:02 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
It is very important that your feet have room. If by layering socks you are having to squeeze your toes and feet into shoes or boots, you will not have a nice chamber for warmer air to act as their mini environment to buffer them from the elements.

This is why I wear sandals throughout the winter. I can wear up to 3 layers of socks --merino wool base layer(large), merino wool over that (extra large) and Power Stretch Socks from Foxwear that are big enough for the outer layer. This is a breathable solution. With adjustable sandals, nothing is cramped. If it gets down under 0F or is wet, I have a pair of booties that fit over the sandals. These are cheap, light weight, windbreaker type material and easy to carry along at all times when not in use.

If it's cold and raining, I put on waterproof socks -- feet stay dry, sandals dry fast at work. In the summer, sandals with no socks.
That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a particular brand of sandals you use? Are you on platform pedals?
Old 11-12-12, 10:50 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
I run a long-sleeved T-shirt and windbreaker on top. Bottom is a pair of athletic pants and long underwear. Wool blend socks and Adidas sambas. I also roll a beanie and work gloves. For gloves I have three pairs. Over 35, it's wool knit. 35-25 are unlined Wells-Lamont gloves. Under 25, and I'm rocking lined W-L gloves.
I'm about in line with this but a few degrees warmer, because I'm a cold-sissy Texican. Today in the mid 30's I'm sporting a midweight Smartwool longsleeve baselayer under a Pearl Izumi Vagabond II windbreaker, Novara Headwinds pants, midweight wool socks, my midweight Adidas gloves (a little too warm today) & smartwool beanie. Subtract 10 degrees F and I'll add silk or polypro long johns, silk sock liners and sub a smartwool Buff with the beanie for nose neck, ears and head. Go low 20's and I put on the softshell jacket and some kind of windbreak in my shoes.

Any colder and I still dress the same, but knock a couple miles off with a shorter route.

I have a pair of Sealskinz neoprene socks, size large. I tried them for one cold season and a tour, both in shoes and sandals, that didn't give me the foot comfort I wanted. If somebody here wants them, I'll sell them for half of retail.

Last edited by truman; 11-12-12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 09:24 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a particular brand of sandals you use? Are you on platform pedals?
I've got Teva sandals. I didn't know you could get sandals for clipless pedals or I would have looked into that I suppose.

My pedals are platform pedals with the type of strapless toe cages like they have on police bikes -- pretty sturdy but you can't really pull up on them much. Since I ride a fixed gear I wanted to feel assured that my feet won't slip off the pedals on steep descents when you get to spinning crazy.

During the recent snowy/icy/slushy days I've been riding with my feet on the platforms so as to get a foot out quicker when necessary. Too slow to worry about foot retention anyway.

Old 11-12-12, 10:01 PM
longhaulblue

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Your feet will sweat but this works down to about 20 degrees. Below that I add wool over the neoprene.
I've been curious about neoprene socks. Think I will give it try. I find that my hands start off really cold but by mile 6 or 7, I am starting to sweat and my hands start to warm up. I think the slight elevation in humidity in my gloves plus the body heat is what causes my hands to warm up. At least that's my theory. My feet are dry and they don't start to freeze until about the same time my hands warm up. I'm hoping the neoprene socks will help here.

It was 31F this morning with 20mph wind gusts. Windchill was 19F. I wore 2 lightweight poly base layers, a raincoat and a el cheapo Performance cycling jacket on top of it. Mostly for the visibility. It's neither wind or water proof. The raincoat is my wind proof layer. I wear poly long bottoms and a rain pants over it. Again for the wind protection. You can get inexpensive rain gear and they work well against the wind. Seems to me that if you can keep the wind out, your body will generate all the heat you need.

I have a pair of Novarra cycling gloves, the lobster variety. I got them on sale after last year's winter riding. Last winter I bought a cheap pair of mitts from Walmart. They are really warm but they are short and a bit too tight to work the brakes. My Novarras are long and have an elegant cinch around mid-forearm. I usually supplement them with liners. I have thin ones and thicker army issue wool ones for colder temps.

It wasnt cold enough to wear winter shoes so I wore 2 pairs of sock liners and my Keen's hiking boots. I have thick wool socks but my Keens are too tight with them on. I wear a fleece beanie. But today I think I should have done the balaclava. The wind chill was quite brutal.

This is pretty much my 30-40F outfit. Above 40F I wear shorts and just a single base layer plus my 2 jackets, of course. When it's in teens to low 20s, then I switch to one base layer with a 200 weight fleece. I'm looking for a 100-weight fleece but they are hard to find.

Feet are my only unsolved problem for cold weather commutes.
Old 11-12-12, 11:27 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In order of layers. Top:

1) Icebreaker, 150g/m^2 bodyfit long sleeve crew, 100% merino wool, as my very first layer.
2) A lightweight and thin long sleeve cotton t-shirt.
3) Icebreaker, 260g/m^2 bodyfit long sleeve hoodie, 100% merino wool
4) Endura photon jacket. This jacket has lasted me 3 seasons and is just now beginning to wear out. There are certain spots on the arms that water is able to get through, getting layer #3 slightly damp, but never soggy wet. I think I want to replace this jacket with a Shower Pass, but I'm not sure which model.
5) Cycling cap if temps are above 40F/beanie under 40F, under the helmet.
6) Endura waterproof and windproof gloves

Bottom layers:

1) Icebreaker 260g^m^2 leggings, 100% merino wool
2) The pants of whatever I'm wearing that day over that, usually jeans.
3) Rain pants
4) Merino wool socks

For any cold weather I highly recommend quality merino wool !!!!!! It is absolutely amazing!!
Old 11-13-12, 01:36 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Below 40 heavy jacket, hat, and thick gloves. Single digits or lower I will add fleece jacket, extra socks, scarf or balaclava if it is windy.
Old 11-13-12, 02:38 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
I've got Teva sandals. I didn't know you could get sandals for clipless pedals or I would have looked into that I suppose.
FYI, Keen has a clipless model and I think Shimano may have one too. I wear non-clipless Keen sandals w/socks down to about 25f then I switch over to the boots. Nothing like riding in summer barefoot and sandals.
Old 03-14-19, 03:29 AM
armsofandes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27f is about -2 c, so thats pretty cold. When I did the inca trail, i remember it being around that temperature at night. I layered in thin cotton tank tops with alpaca base layer, then mid layer, jacket and scarf. My bottoms 3 layers of leggings (i wasn't prepared for that part) and two thick socks. My feet were freezing but I managed to stay warm
Old 03-14-19, 08:01 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Normal office clothing. Throw on my hooded Gor-tex coat and ski gloves. Hop on bike and go. Takes maybe 30 seconds. Below 20 or in snow, I'll put on my overpants and Neos overshoes. You guys make winter cycling too complicated.
Old 03-15-19, 09:33 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Normal office clothing. Throw on my hooded Gor-tex coat and ski gloves. Hop on bike and go. Takes maybe 30 seconds. Below 20 or in snow, I'll put on my overpants and Neos overshoes. You guys make winter cycling too complicated.
I've been winter biking for three winters now. I wear two different sets of gloves depending on the temps. Heavy gloves below 32, light gloves above 32. I wear goggles if the temps are 15F or below because my eyelids start freezing shut.
Old 03-20-19, 09:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
looking forward to summer ride prep w/o all the winter stuff

Old 03-20-19, 11:26 AM
grahamtillotson

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Answering this question from lovely Chicago!
  • Under Armor base shirt
  • Merino wool (medium) after that
  • Water/wind *resistant* jacket (that still breathes)
  • Cycling shorts
  • Running pants (with tight cuffs on the ankles)
  • Wool hiking socks
  • Light/stretchy balaclava
  • Wool glove-mittens (the ones on Amazon for $12 that can expose the fingers)
  • Light hiking shoes (don't clip in -- tons of stoplights on the route)
  • Optional -- rain shell in case the heavens open (keep this in my pannier)

The trick for me has always been finding a setup that breathes. Can't stand stuff like my hands getting swampy in mittens that hold too much heat.

Graham
Old 03-20-19, 11:33 AM
grahamtillotson

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Envious of the pannier. Mine is in the "just slightly too small for winter" category.

Graham
Old 03-20-19, 11:46 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I miss some of the folks who posted earlier in this thread. Wonder if they still ride, or just got tired of discussing bike stuff.

On topic: I'm in the "pull up the blanket and get back to sleep" camp at 5am.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-21-19, 02:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I rode into work this morning and it was 28-30 during my ride.
I pack clothes for work because i dont want to feel salty at best and smel run by at worst. Quick shower and change- I'm refreshed and ready for work.

i cant imagine riding 16mi in work clothes and think that's better than simply bringing them along to change into.

clearly everyone is different.
Old 03-21-19, 02:38 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I rode into work this morning and it was 28-30 during my ride.
I pack clothes for work because i dont want to feel salty at best and smel run by at worst. Quick shower and change- I'm refreshed and ready for work.

i cant imagine riding 16mi in work clothes and think that's better than simply bringing them along to change into.

clearly everyone is different.
Less than 5 miles and no moisture I'll wear my work clothes under my jacket and (if cold enough) cycling pants. More than 5 miles and I get too sweaty, even during sub-zero temps. My work location varies so some days I'll have work clothes on under my gear and other days I'll wear more exercise appropriate clothing.
Old 03-21-19, 05:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
This week has been typical of the season -- just below freezing in the morning, up into the 40s in the afternoon. I'm wearing a fleece with a thin windproof shell over it, cross country ski pants over my regular work pants, a thin beanie under my helmet, lightweight fleece gloves. In the afternoon, I tie the pants and shell to my rack. My ride is 4 miles each way. Below 20 F, I begin to wear progressively warmer gear.

Next week, probably less stuff.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 03-21-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 06:41 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
+1, these comments are spot-on for me. A good windproof jacket and wind-resistant pants make a huge difference. I prefer lightweight merino as my base layer in all conditions, so IMO the OP is on the right track on that score.

Originally Posted by canyoneagle
25-30F my setup is a medium thermal top and my rain shell, thin (pearl izumi) hat beneath my Bern helmet, medium thickness gloves, medium thickness cycling tights <or> super thin thermals with my rain pants, hiking socks and my normal MTB shoes, plus clear lens glasses. Having a windproof outer layer allows you to wear MUCH less insulation. The idea is to start a little chilly - you'll heat up within the first mile.

I don't add much insulation until it drops below 19F
Old 03-22-19, 06:58 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
This morning was the first real test of the season. 27 degrees with a stiff north wind (headwind and/or crosswind all the way to work). I wore the old fashioned long underwear, both top and bottom. Thermal socks from Cabelas. My button-up uniform sheet and work trousers. Insulated hiking shoes. Topped it off with an insulated zip-up hoodie and heavy beanie.

I felt a chill every now and again but I was comfortable. The wind can just make things miserable if it gets through to the skin.

Its gonna snow a little tonight and I am planning to ride in the morning. I will be trying some heavier gear and I am anxious to see how it works. Just got a merino wool top that I am pretty pumped about after all I have read about merino wool.

So what's your layering agenda?
on my head i wear my planet wind paneled hat under my 661 dirt lid helmet aka my winter helmet.
i wear an under layer maybe my short sleeve wool jersey under my endure windchill jacket. I put on my criss crossed reflective vest for added visibility.
I wear bib shorts under my sugoi wind paneled bib tights.
I sometimes double up socks or sometimes put a piece of Walmart bag over my toes and one pair of socks. I then put my neoprene over shoes over what ever i decide.
on my hands i wear my planet x lobster gloves. (they are worth every penny of the $12 i paid for them years ago)