Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PSN10 - 1978; priced at EUR 999

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 05:47 PM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a good deal? Peugeot PSN10 Classic Road Bike 1978

Hi all -

So I'm thinking of getting this bike www. steel-vintage .com/peugeot-psn10-classic-road-bike-1978-detail - 58cm is the size. The price right now is EUR 999 but I managed to get an offer in for EUR 800 (excl. shipping). Through my search, I found that this bike was sold at around EUR 925 back in late 1970s (which translates to about EUR 2,100 in today's dollars). It seems the specs of the bike are almost all original - but I've attached them below for reference:

Frame & Fork Peugeot PS10; Reynolds 531 tubing
Front Derailleur Simplex
Rear Derailleur Simplex
Headset Stronglight
Crankset Stronglight
Bottom Bracket Stronglight
Stem Atax / Peugeot; 90mm
Stem Bar Philippe; 41cm
Shifters Simplex
Brakes Mafac
Brake Levers Mafac
Hubs Pelissier
Rims Mavic; 700c clincher
Tires Vee Rubber; 700c clincher
Seat Post Laprade 505
Seat Idéale 2002
Chain YBN Classic
Handlebar Tape Cotton cloth
Pedals included

I also took a look at Sheldon-Brown's website (because I still like that forum) and found that generally Peugeot bikes are on the USD 700 range - I'm wondering if that price has gone up since then and if this is worth it. I love the color and the frame; it's the right size for me as well. It reminds me of my first bike ridden as an adult. So there's kind of an emotional attachment to it even though I haven't even bought it! Thoughts?
Old 03-05-19, 09:15 PM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found this bike at Steel Vintage Bikes (the website is steel-vintage dot com; search for Peugeot PSN10 Classic Road Bike 1978; www. steel-vintage .com/peugeot-psn10-classic-road-bike-1978-detail). It's priced at EUR 999, but I managed to get an accepted bid of EUR 800. I did some research and looks like the bike, back in the day, was worth somewhere around EUR 925 (or EUR 2,100 in today's rate). The specs are as follows:

Front Derailleur Simplex
Rear Derailleur Simplex
Headset Stronglight
Crankset Stronglight
Stem Bar Philippe; 41cm
Shifters Simplex
Brakes Mafac
Brake Levers Mafac
Hubs Pelissier
Seat Post Laprade 505
Seat Idéale 2002
Chain YBN Classic

Is it worth the price tag on it? I absolutely love the color as it reminds me of my first adult bike, so it already has some special meaning. With shipping included (EUR 99) it goes for about USD 1,000 - which granted is a lot for a classic I've never ridden. Per Sheldon Brown, any Peugeot at $700 (which at today's dollars is a little above USD 1,000) has to a PX-10 at prime. Note also that this is coming from the UK (or Germany) so likely directly from France would be my guess (vs. one shipped to the US back in the day specific for a US market).

Last edited by Cmarchand; 03-05-19 at 10:22 PM. Reason: *corrected information
Old 03-05-19, 11:12 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It is a beauty. Overpriced in my opinion as were most of the bikes on their site. The fact they were willing to accept offers tells me they list high. If they get list, great, if not they probably get fair market price.

You seem to want it for emotional reasons. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm thinking it is just too high. The color is very appealing.
Old 03-06-19, 04:34 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Duplicate threads merged
Old 03-06-19, 06:05 AM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
It is a beauty. Overpriced in my opinion as were most of the bikes on their site. The fact they were willing to accept offers tells me they list high. If they get list, great, if not they probably get fair market price.

You seem to want it for emotional reasons. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm thinking it is just too high. The color is very appealing.
Thank you, TegaDude! That was my impression originally as well. What would you recommend the fair market to be? The color, I know right?! I’m not a professional in appraising vintage Peugeot bikes but any further info would be highly appreciated!
Old 03-06-19, 06:07 AM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Duplicate threads merged
sorry for that - I couldn’t find my original thread on my profile or on the group, so re-posted. As I’m a newbie here, I’m still getting use to the forum so might be clicking the wrong buttons. Thank you for merging.
Old 03-06-19, 07:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmarchand

Thank you, TegaDude! That was my impression originally as well. What would you recommend the fair market to be? The color, I know right?! I’m not a professional in appraising vintage Peugeot bikes but any further info would be highly appreciated!
All I can do of course is offer my opinion. I've been on several sites where vintage roadies are listed. One was in Wisconsin and it left me with the same impression as the one you found the Pug on. When I looked at the bikes I thought, "Wow! Really?" The prices weren't just a little high, but a lot high in my humble opinion. So I lusted over some nice bikes and moved on.

When I read your post I thought, here we go again. And I do believe that unless the market is virtually devoid of any decent bikes (doubt that entirely) the prices have to be inflated. Perhaps the seller is used to haggling and sets the price high to begin with. I certainly do that on Craigslist. I never list a bike for what I would be happy to sell it for. I add a margin because some folks will always ask for a discount, no matter what.

So that leaves me with offering what I think would be a fair price. If I really wanted to buy that bike I wouldn't be willing to pay more than around $350 - $400 USD for it. It is in nice shape, not pristine and although the seller says it has "top class" parts, I find them to be nice but unspectacular.

BTW, I went on the site this morning and there is a banner advertising Now Taking Offers on Vintage Bikes and when I looked at your Pug it said Or Best Offer on it. So obviously they are willing to negotiate.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 03-06-19, 07:32 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The prices on that site are obviously higher than you could buy the bike directly from an owner but this is a business and the bikes have been fixed up. So you will pay a premium for it.

This is the listing, right?

https://www.steel-vintage.com/peugeo...ke-1978-detail

The bike is not completely original but it has fine parts. There is a pelissier front hub (french hub but this would have come with normandy red label I think) and a shimano rear. The rims are right. The bike is beautiful

The bike in the used market is worth somewhere between $200-$300 on craigslist. By and large anyone selling on eBay would likely ask more for this bike.

You will pay a premium but how much of a premium you wish to pay is up to you. I would check to see if the bike has been overhauled as it should be for that price.
Old 03-06-19, 07:46 AM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
All I can do of course is offer my opinion. I've been on several sites where vintage roadies are listed. One was in Wisconsin and it left me with the same impression as the one you found the Pug on. When I looked at the bikes I thought, "Wow! Really?" The prices weren't just a little high, but a lot high in my humble opinion. So I lusted over some nice bikes and moved on.

When I read your post I thought, here we go again. And I do believe that unless the market is virtually devoid of any decent bikes (doubt that entirely) the prices have to be inflated. Perhaps the seller is used to haggling and sets the price high to begin with. I certainly do that on Craigslist. I never list a bike for what I would be happy to sell it for. I add a margin because some folks will always ask for a discount, no matter what.

So that leaves me with offering what I think would be a fair price. If I really wanted to buy that bike I wouldn't be willing to pay more than around $350 - $400 USD for it. It is in nice shape, not pristine and although the seller says it has "top class" parts, I find them to be nice but unspectacular.

BTW, I went on the site this morning and there is a banner advertising Now Taking Offers on Vintage Bikes and when I looked at your Pug it said Or Best Offer on it. So obviously they are willing to negotiate.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Originally Posted by bikemig
The prices on that site are obviously higher than you could buy the bike directly from an owner but this is a business and the bikes have been fixed up. So you will pay a premium for it.

This is the listing, right?

https://www.steel-vintage.com/peugeo...ke-1978-detail

The bike is not completely original but it has fine parts. There is a pelissier front hub (french hub but this would have come with normandy red label I think) and a shimano rear. The rims are right. The bike is beautiful

The bike in the used market is worth somewhere between $200-$300 on craigslist. By and large anyone selling on eBay would likely ask more for this bike.

You will pay a premium but how much of a premium you wish to pay is up to you. I would check to see if the bike has been overhauled as it should be for that price.
Thank you both! I decided to make an offer for EUR 550 - which still prices it around EUR 200-250 above market. Considering the work these guys do, and that the color is so specific (I have yet to find one that I like as much since November, when my last bike was stolen) I was willing to pay a premium. I asked them if they had any other offers on the table, that I'd be willing to match it + increase the bid. Let's see what happens.

If any one has any leads on a bike similar to the one quoted above, please let me know. I'm 6'3, ride 58cm (though I might fit on a 60cm). I love blue (especially baby blue) and located in nyc. I still don't have messaging as the site says I'm limited until 10 posts, but you can write me on my profile should you have any leads.
Old 03-06-19, 08:43 AM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: they didn’t accept my offer of EUR 550; it seems the sweet spot for them is closer to EUR 800 as they were quick to respond on that initial offer. They also said they weren’t willing to treat this as a bidding system, which is kind of confusing considering they have “accepting best offer”.

I did say that should anything change on their end I’d be willing to buy it ASAP, so hopefully this pans out. If not, I’ll continue my search.
Old 03-06-19, 12:12 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
UPDATE: they didn’t accept my offer of EUR 550; it seems the sweet spot for them is closer to EUR 800 as they were quick to respond on that initial offer. They also said they weren’t willing to treat this as a bidding system, which is kind of confusing considering they have “accepting best offer”.

I did say that should anything change on their end I’d be willing to buy it ASAP, so hopefully this pans out. If not, I’ll continue my search.
I'd put up a WTB in the C&V for sale forum. You never know what might show up.
Old 03-06-19, 08:55 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Hi all -

So I'm thinking of getting this bike www. steel-vintage .com/peugeot-psn10-classic-road-bike-1978-detail - 58cm is the size. The price right now is EUR 999 but I managed to get an offer in for EUR 800 (excl. shipping). Through my search, I found that this bike was sold at around EUR 925 back in late 1970s (which translates to about EUR 2,100 in today's dollars). It seems the specs of the bike are almost all original - but I've attached them below for reference:

Front Derailleur Simplex
Rear Derailleur Simplex
Headset Stronglight
Crankset Stronglight
Stem Bar Philippe; 41cm
Shifters Simplex
Brakes Mafac
Brake Levers Mafac
Hubs Pelissier
Seat Post Laprade 505
Seat Idéale 2002
Chain YBN Classic
Handlebar Tape Cotton cloth
Pedals included

I also took a look at Sheldon-Brown's website (because I still like that forum) and found that generally Peugeot bikes are on the USD 700 range - I'm wondering if that price has gone up since then and if this is worth it. I love the color and the frame; it's the right size for me as well. It reminds me of my first bike ridden as an adult. So there's kind of an emotional attachment to it even though I haven't even bought it! Thoughts?
Nice bike but prices are actually a bit down on these I would put it at $500-600, I would agree with posting WTB and looking through the for sale thread here at the BF's there are actually several nicer vintage bikes offered in your price range. Let us know the market location your looking in and chances are someone here can point you to a better deal.
Old 03-06-19, 09:17 PM
Cmarchand
Learning about bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Nice bike but prices are actually a bit down on these I would put it at $500-600, I would agree with posting WTB and looking through the for sale thread here at the BF's there are actually several nicer vintage bikes offered in your price range. Let us know the market location your looking in and chances are someone here can point you to a better deal.
thank you for all your help! I’ll post something at WTB and maybe do another offer over there for EUR 600 as I’d be willing to pay up to that price. I’m located in NYC and have been searching Craigslist like crazy but haven’t found a bike yet that catches my eye. Any help on the hunt is greatly appreciated - I’m looking for something very similar to the Peugeot in terms of shape, look, and colors - but obviously open to recommendations and further education on what’s best.
Old 03-24-19, 07:56 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I found this 1978 PR10 on LA Craigslist for $400, and the guy wouldnt deal, so I probably overpaid, but it's a nice riding bike. I changed the brake levers to Campy aeros, and the Stronglight TS crank had a stripped pedal thread, so instead of messing with French threads, I put on a Sugino 52/34 compact that I had laying aound. They are out there, keep looking. I especially like the gold paint, which I understand was a home only market color. The guy brought the bike with him from Paris. I liked the gold paint so much, that I just grabbed a gold '78 Super Course as a project bike.

As bought, funky brake levers, missing front derailleur.

My current ride.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-24-19 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed: