Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

How Did I Get Here?

Old 03-20-19, 02:41 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
How Did I Get Here?

Perhaps I should have titled this thread, How Did I Get Back Here?

I'm back to my greatest weight I've ever been: 226 pounds. That may not seem devastating to some of you, but I am also just under 5 foot 6 inches. I'm about 75- 80 pounds overweight. Just before Thanksgiving, I was 198. So I put on 28 pounds in four months. That's a problem.

I just wrote a long winded, self centered, rant about how I stopped riding and kept overeating. In an attempt to not bore you, I'll summarize this perfect storm. It started with the flu, followed by the holidays, a series of professional and personal trips, increased stressful situations, increased work load when home and excuses not to ride. During the last four months, I haven't stopped overeating for any significant amount of time. My cycling is also down to 1/4 of what I averaged in 2018. As a result, some depression has also set in for what I've done to myself.

So my weight is back to its highest I've ever been-- 226. I'm in better shape than when I first started cycling in 2014, but I'm not motivated to overcome my destructive behavior the last few months. It feels like having to climb the same hill again. I have two organized cycling events the next two weekends for my local club and for the American Diabetes Association. I'd be happy to ride half of what my original plan was months ago when registering.

I've considered motivating myself by registering now for a challenging ride in September or October. That kind of goal has helped previously.
Old 03-20-19, 10:50 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
life/weight is a rollercoaster. Keep your chin up and keep pedaling. You'll find the groove again, but you will need to cut the excuses and get back on the bike.

Sometime the hardest part of the bike ride is getting on the bike.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-21-19, 11:17 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
...Or you could just look for a local cycling group & decide to participate in their free daily rides. All bicycle clubs/advocacy groups put them on and offer rides regularly. The social aspect of cycling is not to be underestimated.

Nobody cares what your weight is. Just find a pace you enjoy. Everyone else in that group is there for the same reasons you are and have the same abilities you do.
Old 03-22-19, 01:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Don't feel bad, I put on about 15-20 pounds over the winter as well. But now that we're having weather warm enough to ride in, I'm getting my health back on track. Holiday goodies are the worst for trying to keep your weight down.
Old 03-22-19, 03:07 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Getting to your goals and maintaining them is 100% mental. It has little to do with the work out or the food your eating, It has more to do with what you decide to do. Whether that is exercise or eat right or both. An excuse comes from within, not from the bike or the food. I know, I make plenty of them. I was at 227 and at 5'6" I was not feeling good (yoyo'd back up myself). I'm down to 205 and feeling better, but I still struggle with trying to not make excuses. Once this weather turns and my new bike is built I will be hitting it really hard core. I have other goals set. My first century at the end of May isn't going to ride itself. I'm doing 3-4 days a week on the trainer right now and enjoying my keto diet.

You did it before now do it again. You've got this!
Old 03-25-19, 11:53 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10892 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
@Bassmanbob We're going to have to work on this together. I just hit 227# at 5'7". I was a Cat 2 racer in the 1980s at 145#. When I retired from racing, my weight shot up like a rocket mainly due to a stressful job. I retired from work in 2008 and had a mild weight reprieve as I dropped back to 175 from 230. Didn't last, though.

I had my first back to back 100 mile weeks and gained 3#. At first, I thought it was an anomaly but the 3# uptick has lasted several days now. Somehow, I don't think that I gained 3# of muscle in two weeks.

Anyway, Bob, we're going to get this job done and lose some weight. Right!?

Old 03-25-19, 02:17 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone

Amen to that.

I agree with the comment about finding groups or setting goals - I'm so much better about getting on my bike if I committed to somebody else that I"m riding with them.
Old 03-26-19, 02:46 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
life/weight is a rollercoaster. Keep your chin up and keep pedaling. You'll find the groove again, but you will need to cut the excuses and get back on the bike.

Definitely true. I ended up only riding 5 times in 2018. Just could not get on the bike, and fell further out of shape because of it. Weather has gotten nice enough this month to start, and I've already equaled last year's 5 rides . To the OP, I like the idea of scheduling something challenging a bit farther out, to have that goal in mind...
Old 03-26-19, 05:59 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

True.
Old 03-26-19, 06:03 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by base2
...Or you could just look for a local cycling group & decide to participate in their free daily rides. All bicycle clubs/advocacy groups put them on and offer rides regularly. The social aspect of cycling is not to be underestimated.

Nobody cares what your weight is. Just find a pace you enjoy. Everyone else in that group is there for the same reasons you are and have the same abilities you do.
I am a member of my local cycling club and have been riding with them for two years now. I got up to the B+ group, but now I'm between the C and B groups. I want to solidly get back to the B+ group by the end of September, which is the beginning of event season here in southern Florida.
Old 03-26-19, 06:05 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by Yendor72
Getting to your goals and maintaining them is 100% mental. It has little to do with the work out or the food your eating, It has more to do with what you decide to do. Whether that is exercise or eat right or both. An excuse comes from within, not from the bike or the food. I know, I make plenty of them. I was at 227 and at 5'6" I was not feeling good (yoyo'd back up myself). I'm down to 205 and feeling better, but I still struggle with trying to not make excuses. Once this weather turns and my new bike is built I will be hitting it really hard core. I have other goals set. My first century at the end of May isn't going to ride itself. I'm doing 3-4 days a week on the trainer right now and enjoying my keto diet.

You did it before now do it again. You've got this!
Thanks. Seriously, thanks.
Old 03-26-19, 06:07 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
@Bassmanbob We're going to have to work on this together. I just hit 227# at 5'7". I was a Cat 2 racer in the 1980s at 145#. When I retired from racing, my weight shot up like a rocket mainly due to a stressful job. I retired from work in 2008 and had a mild weight reprieve as I dropped back to 175 from 230. Didn't last, though.

I had my first back to back 100 mile weeks and gained 3#. At first, I thought it was an anomaly but the 3# uptick has lasted several days now. Somehow, I don't think that I gained 3# of muscle in two weeks.

Anyway, Bob, we're going to get this job done and lose some weight. Right!?
OK. Let's do this. I did lose 6 pounds last week, so I'm now at 220. It's a good start, but I need to keep going. Please share your progress here too!
Old 03-27-19, 06:03 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10892 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Well, I'm down -1.5# since the weekend. It's a start.

Old 04-03-19, 01:45 PM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
You're not the only one to have had those thoughts and feelings. I was nearly 300 lbs and managed to get down to 180 and then over the course of a year gained all of it back. I got back on track and lost it again only to gain back to 286 before losing and am now back down to 240. I'm taking it off a lot slower this time with the hopes it won't come back as fast...seems to be working. I'm sure you have heard that you can't out ride a poor diet and that it's the diet more than the exercise as the key to losing weight. I have found that I can not maintain the diet without the exercise. It's the exercise that puts me in the frame of mind to control my diet knowing how that extra portion will only hurt my cycling.
Just keep your chin up as it is so easy get get depressed after working so hard to take off weight only to gain it back but its similar to an addiction in that you will always have to work at it with the understanding that there will be times you take a step back but are able to then take the two steps forward. Good luck.
Old 04-07-19, 07:07 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by washed up
You're not the only one to have had those thoughts and feelings. I was nearly 300 lbs and managed to get down to 180 and then over the course of a year gained all of it back. I got back on track and lost it again only to gain back to 286 before losing and am now back down to 240. I'm taking it off a lot slower this time with the hopes it won't come back as fast...seems to be working. I'm sure you have heard that you can't out ride a poor diet and that it's the diet more than the exercise as the key to losing weight. I have found that I can not maintain the diet without the exercise. It's the exercise that puts me in the frame of mind to control my diet knowing how that extra portion will only hurt my cycling.
Just keep your chin up as it is so easy get get depressed after working so hard to take off weight only to gain it back but its similar to an addiction in that you will always have to work at it with the understanding that there will be times you take a step back but are able to then take the two steps forward. Good luck.
I've found much of what you've said to be true. I can't out ride a poor diet, but the exercise helps put me in the right frame of mind to eat right-- especially when I have a goal of a particular difficult ride to plan. I also believe my eating to be very addictive, so much that I plan to attend Overeaters Anonymous beginning next week. I have a scheduling conflict this Thursday night, when the local meeting is available.

Update: I had a really good first week, then a moderate second week. Last week was pretty bad. We went to my son-in-law's parents house for an extended weekend. It's a beautiful beach house, but I was out of my eating environment/routine. There were no parties, but there was plenty of party-like food. Friday, we walked on the beach for about 7-8 miles, then had a very salty dinner. My feet and legs swelled like they never have before. Even today, I had to squeeze my feet into my cycling shoes and endured the pain of tight shoes during my short ride this morning. I just don't feel right, even though I just had a cardiac clearance three weeks ago-- including a stress test and echocardiogram. I've eaten a low sodium diet today and will the next two days. If I'm still swollen by Tuesday, I'm going to my doctor. I have no chest pain, no leg pain, no exaggeration of my hypertension and no dizziness, but I'm not playing with this. I've got to get the salt out of me, and I'll wear the support stockings I usually wear when coming home from an organized endurance ride. I think I'll be fine, but I'd rather play it safe.