Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help setting up Campagnolo MTB Cantilever brakes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-25-19, 09:28 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts

Hello all- I'm not very experienced setting up cantilever brakes. I have a pair of Campy cantilevers and need some suggestions for adjusting. Right now, I've got one side rubbing on the rim. I'm trying to understand how to fine tune the centering of the pads and adjust spring tension, but am having trouble. Does anyone know how to do so with these? The brake calipers have a nut near the brake mounting post that can be adjusted, as well as the piece where the allen bolt mounts (see pics), but am not clear on how they work together. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-25-19, 10:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The “ cover” with the flats will modify spring tension. Keep in mind the springs are wound opposing but the fasteners are not. One side probably needs greater tension. With that in mind I think you can get there with a bit of experimentation, use a sharpie and make a ref mark to note where you are now.
Old 03-26-19, 07:28 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
As repechage says, the spring tension is adjusted using the flats near the mounting bolt head. Usually on brakes with this feature you loosen the mounting bolt, adjust the tension using a cone wrench on the flats, and then tighten the mounting bolt, keeping the cone wrench on the flats during tightening to keep your adjustment locked.

I've never worked with these brakes before, but it is possible the hex flats at the back of the brake near the fork studs are used to hold the caliper in position while the spring tension is adjusted.

What I would do is adjust one side's spring tension to where you want it feel-wise and with the right distance from the rim, and then adjust the other caliper to match. Make an adjustment and tighten it down, then pull on the brake lever and see if the pads contact the rim at roughly the same time and are centered. Adjust if necessary.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 03-26-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 09:06 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
Thanks to you both for the response. I will give it a shot and see if I can make the adjustment.

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
As repechage says, the spring tension is adjusted using the flats near the mounting bolt head. Usually on brakes with this feature you loosen the mounting bolt, adjust the tension using a cone wrench on the flats, and then tighten the mounting bolt, keeping the cone wrench on the flats during tightening to keep your adjustment locked.

I've never worked with these brakes before, but it is possible the hex flats at the back of the brake near the fork studs are used to hold the caliper in position while the spring tension is adjusted.

What I would do is adjust one side's spring tension to where you want it feel-wise and with the right distance from the rim, and then adjust the other caliper to match. Make an adjustment and tighten it down, then pull on the brake lever and see if the pads contact the rim at roughly the same time and are centered. Adjust if necessary.