Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are 80s Campagnolo Records hubs just as good as the ones from the 90s?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 02:02 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts

So I just got a NOS wheel set (Campagnolo Tubular Seoul Rims with Campagnolo Hubs). 126 Rear, with 7speed Dura Ace freewheel. I was wondering if I should replace the rear hub with a more modern (Cassette) hub? As giving the rear wheel a spin, it seems to have more resistance compared to other wheels I currently have, giving me the impression it won't perform as well as "newer" hubs. I have a 126 cassette hub I can replace it with and the time is NOW as its a tubular and after tires are glued, not really planning to turn back. What do you think?? Switch out? Or just keep and roll on? By the way, the new hub will be an 8 speed 126 cassette Campagnolo hub.
Old 03-24-19, 02:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
So I just got a NOS wheel set (Campagnolo Tubular Seoul Rims with Campagnolo Hubs). 126 Rear, with 7speed Dura Ace freewheel. I was wondering if I should replace the rear hub with a more modern (Cassette) hub? As giving the rear wheel a spin, it seems to have more resistance compared to other wheels I currently have, giving me the impression it won't perform as well as "newer" hubs. I have a 126 cassette hub I can replace it with and the time is NOW as its a tubular and after tires are glued, not really planning to turn back. What do you think?? Switch out? Or just keep and roll on? By the way, the new hub will be an 8 speed 126 cassette Campagnolo hub.
NOS grease may be long done by now, overhaul both and reevaluate. Like you said the time is now.

Last edited by merziac; 03-24-19 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 02:52 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I would definitely take off the freewheel, get out your cone wrenches, and re-adjust the bearings on both wheels for free motion with minimal play. If you do that and you feel roughness, the hubs should be overhauled, cleaned internally, and re-assembled at least with fresh, clean grease. NOS may mean never used, but the old grease may have changed in storage since 1990 or so. They should feel like glass and have no play when clamped in a frame, and just a teeny tiny bit of play when in your hands, not clamped. Its also possible that the hubs are not actually NOS, and some overloaded or abusive riding has resulted in a bent axle, meaning the cups and cones are not correctly aligned with each other and the bearings will not be smooth over the entire rotation.

In my experience, Campagnolo 126 mm hubs of the old Record design that took freewheels were for standard-spaced freewheels with 6 speeds or narrow-spaced freewheels with 7 speeds. Not for 8-speed. If you adjust the axle position and the wheel dishing you can make one work and at least the rim align with the frame, but the chainline might be off, and with the extra dishing the spoke bracing angle will not be what the hub was designed for. With the wrong angles you could have premature spoke failures or hub flange failures. Not saying they will break, but those are not what I learned they are intended for.

I think it's less likely that the freewheel or freehub (not sure which hub you're concerned about) have internal problems, but making sure they also contain clean, juicy lube of the right kind is not a wrong step.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-24-19 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 03:02 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
NOS grease may be long done by now, overhaul both and reevaluate. Like you said the time is now.
This.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-24-19, 04:01 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
+1 about putting in new grease in the bearings.
As for whether a cassette hub would be better than a threaded one, I assume that the cassette hub will be more convenient to change out the freewheel on, but if your present hubset happens to be a Campy Record, the bearings on those should feel as smooth as glass, when serviced and adjusted properly. Pretty much one of the best hubsets in its time when it comes to bearing/race quality. I have Campy Record hubs on three bikes, and they are pretty much the best rolling hubs I have, other than the Mavic 500 hubs (with sealed bearings) I have on one of my French bikes.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 03-24-19, 04:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I would have expected, Are Campagnolo hubs from the 90's as good as from the 80's? ….

If you are of large mass, then a freehub has the advantage of better bearing placement and larger diameter axle near the centerline.

Record hubs are famously long lived.
Take the freewheel off, flush it, replace the oil.
Take the hub apart, clean and note the race and cone surfaces. cones die first.
I suggest not removing the grit shields, devise a way to clean underneath, that labor spent will be 10x rewarded by not having to reset the shields.
Repack with Fresh new 1/4" quality ball bearings. Ceramic even.

The trick to adjust Campagnolo hubs is to verify the adjustment with the skwerer clamped… stack some fender washers each side to replicate the dropouts.
The peloton mechanics way was often a brazed up set of front and rear drops into two sections of tubing. Clamp, adjust, forget, the skewer in the pre lawyer lip days was even set that way, ready to go.
Old 03-25-19, 06:32 PM
shuru421

So after taking apart the freewheel from the hub, its confirmed the hub is actually still nice and smooth. The freewheel on the other hand..might need a little work..
To confirm, Dura-Ace MF-7400 7 speed freewheel has a last cog threaded on? I can't seem to find 'servicing' guides for this specific freewheel.
Old 03-25-19, 06:39 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
So after taking apart the freewheel from the hub, its confirmed the hub is actually still nice and smooth. The freewheel on the other hand..might need a little work..
To confirm, Dura-Ace MF-7400 7 speed freewheel has a last cog threaded on? I can't seem to find 'servicing' guides for this specific freewheel.
Try letting Phil's Tenacious Oil soak in.

or send it to @PastorBobinnh for an overall

or if it is 13-28 sell it to me

Old 03-25-19, 11:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
These are wonderful hubs, I would still overhaul them, just sayin.

And "pics or it......" well, you know.
Old 03-26-19, 07:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
...To confirm, Dura-Ace MF-7400 7 speed freewheel has a last cog threaded on? I can't seem to find 'servicing' guides for this specific freewheel.
On the 7 speed version of the MF-7400 freewheel, the smallest cog is threaded onto the 2nd smallest cog. The 2nd smallest cog is threaded onto the freewheel body. The remaining cogs are splined.
Old 03-26-19, 10:25 AM
shuru421

Originally Posted by T-Mar
On the 7 speed version of the MF-7400 freewheel, the smallest cog is threaded onto the 2nd smallest cog. The 2nd smallest cog is threaded onto the freewheel body. The remaining cogs are splined.
Awesome, thank you. And its interesting that 2 cogs on threaded..
Will be taking it apart today and leaving it overnight soaking in solvent. Freshing up time!