Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Own a Supercycle KrossRoads, How Can I Make The Gearing Suck Less?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Own a Supercycle KrossRoads, How Can I Make The Gearing Suck Less?

Old 03-21-19, 06:40 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by mikjames
Yeah no argument here, there are certainly downsides to buying a bike from a big box store. Lucky for me it can be effectively mitigated by having a bike shop fix the problems and install better parts, but there are downsides nonetheless. It was actually quite a shock to me that this is even allowed to happen. Here in Canada cyclists follow the same rules as drivers, yet they wouldn't let an unsafe motor vehicle on the road. I guess I assumed there would be some regulation involved in the build/sale of bikes. I don't know why I believed that given how incompetent governments are at regulating things.
" Lucky for me it can be effectively mitigated by having a bike shop fix the problems and install better parts,"
Why could that possibly be lucky for you? Why buy from a store that is unable to repair or properly assemble your bike? Stores like Canadian Tire are the worst possible choices for anyone who wants to ride on a regular basis. If you kept all the paperwork that came with your bike you will probably find a disclaimer telling you that in order to file warranty claims you should have your new bike checked over by a professional bike mechanic and have any mechanical problems repaired. Not doing that can lead to refusal to honour the warranty. The 40% off you paid for the bike is the actual price it is worth. The so called "retail price" is a fiction. Anyone who paid that much for that bike was ripped off. That is a $250 bike. In no sane universe could that bike be worth $400. You did not get a "deal". Even at $250 you barely got your money's worth. If you think that Canadian tire should provide better customer service, talk to them. Don't accept that you have to go elsewhere to have their possibly defective products repaired
When you buy a car, the dealer will charge a hefty amount of money for "dealer preparation" . Would you be prepared for big box retailers to charge you additional money to make their bikes road ready? Bike shops rarely sell bikes right off the showroom floor, they ask the customer to come back after they have prepared their bike for the road. The problem is that customers at big box stores expect that a road vehicle is ready to go right off the sales floor. Nobody in their right mind would expect to drive a new car right out of the showroom minutes after they bought it

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-21-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 06:26 AM
mikjames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
" Lucky for me it can be effectively mitigated by having a bike shop fix the problems and install better parts,"
Why could that possibly be lucky for you? Why buy from a store that is unable to repair or properly assemble your bike? Stores like Canadian Tire are the worst possible choices for anyone who wants to ride on a regular basis. If you kept all the paperwork that came with your bike you will probably find a disclaimer telling you that in order to file warranty claims you should have your new bike checked over by a professional bike mechanic and have any mechanical problems repaired. Not doing that can lead to refusal to honour the warranty. The 40% off you paid for the bike is the actual price it is worth. The so called "retail price" is a fiction. Anyone who paid that much for that bike was ripped off. That is a $250 bike. In no sane universe could that bike be worth $400. You did not get a "deal". Even at $250 you barely got your money's worth. If you think that Canadian tire should provide better customer service, talk to them. Don't accept that you have to go elsewhere to have their possibly defective products repaired
When you buy a car, the dealer will charge a hefty amount of money for "dealer preparation" . Would you be prepared for big box retailers to charge you additional money to make their bikes road ready? Bike shops rarely sell bikes right off the showroom floor, they ask the customer to come back after they have prepared their bike for the road. The problem is that customers at big box stores expect that a road vehicle is ready to go right off the sales floor. Nobody in their right mind would expect to drive a new car right out of the showroom minutes after they bought it
Chill out dude, Im aware that's it's not worth 400$. It's lucky for me because I already own the damn thing. It would be unlucky if it were completely unsalvageable, because it's not worth much of anything resale. It's also worth noting that local North American manufacturers can't even offer a bike below ~450 new. They can't provide enough value in that market to even make a profit. Supercycle has options right down to 110$ here, that can be made roadworthy. Like it or not, China is getting better at making reasonable products at an ever cheaper price. For people who like to install their own components and want a new bike, it's difficult to ignore the value prospect. And yes, I'd pay a little more for safety certifications, an additional 10-15% isn't unreasonable to avoid injury or death.
Old 03-22-19, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't why the bike shop would declare the same problem time and again. I offered on multiple occasions to buy a better derailleur from them along with other components, and they keep saying the same thing about the derailleur bolt hanger. They are the highest rated shop in Dartmouth/Halifax. Since I live in Dartmouth it hasn't made any sense to travel to Halifax for repairs. It's possible they just really wanted to sell me the entry level Brody bikes they've mentioned.
I'm going to start a new thread on the local bike brands, though I'm not optimistic on getting advice within my budget. I simply won't spend more than 600$ on a bike taxes, and it would have to be a hell of a 600$ bike to even justify spending that.

This thing kicks butt on hills and is pretty bullet proof--$60 more and you can get it with disk brakes:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../fx-2/p/17455/
Old 03-23-19, 05:45 AM
mikjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This thing kicks butt on hills and is pretty bullet proof--$60 more and you can get it with disk brakes:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../fx-2/p/17455/
Yeah only 710$ Cad after taxes, or 840$ Cad with disc brakes. Let me just go out back and pick a few bills off the money tree...
Old 03-23-19, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yeah only 710$ Cad after taxes, or 840$ Cad with disc brakes. Let me just go out back and pick a few bills off the money tree...
Forgot about the Canadian dollar part. Sorry for trying to help. I won't bother in the future.
​​​​​​
Old 03-26-19, 10:25 AM
mikjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot about the Canadian dollar part. Sorry for trying to help. I won't bother in the future.
​​​​​​
I'm not against helpful suggestions. I am however very familiar with internet forums and the tendency to up-sell the op well beyond their wants/needs.
Not that you're necessarily doing that here, but I can't find a lot of value in spending $800+ on a fancy new bike, when I'm looking at 100$ to refurbish an existing one.
What's wrong with the barebones Trek FX for example that necessitates we avoid it? Has Trek decided to offer a completely garbage entry level product that should be avoided by casual and advanced riders alike?
I'm inclined to believe the Trek FX 2 is more likely to be a modest upgrade over the entry level FX, because not all products are advertised to actually sell in a significant number.
https://www.cyclesmith.ca/product/trek-fx-272647-1.htm
Old 03-26-19, 01:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm not against helpful suggestions. I am however very familiar with internet forums and the tendency to up-sell the op well beyond their wants/needs.
Not that you're necessarily doing that here, but I can't find a lot of value in spending $800+ on a fancy new bike, when I'm looking at 100$ to refurbish an existing one.
What's wrong with the barebones Trek FX for example that necessitates we avoid it? Has Trek decided to offer a completely garbage entry level product that should be avoided by casual and advanced riders alike?
I'm inclined to believe the Trek FX 2 is more likely to be a modest upgrade over the entry level FX, because not all products are advertised to actually sell in a significant number.
https://www.cyclesmith.ca/product/trek-fx-272647-1.htm

I wasn't trying to upsell you, and I only named the FX3 because I have one and love it, and I mistakenly thought it was in the price range you named because I forgot you specified Canadian dollars. Frankly, I don't know why I'd try to upsell you, I don't get a commission.

You might very well like the FX and FX2. I believe the frame geometry is largely the same, and I find it ideal for road hill climbing I encourage you to try them, they will definitely be an improvement over what you have. I have no stake in this, and really don't care which bells and whistles you consider worth the difference in price. That's a matter of personal preference and budget, so what would be the point in arguing it?

I'm genuinely puzzled by the fairly nasty tone of your posts. I can't imagine talking to people in the way you do when you're asking for their help and advice.
Old 03-27-19, 05:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm genuinely puzzled by the fairly nasty tone of your posts. I can't imagine talking to people in the way you do when you're asking for their help and advice.
Yep, those who aren't helpful enough are to be flamed.

In before the ban.
Old 03-27-19, 05:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yep, those who aren't helpful enough are to be flamed.

In before the ban.
I have to say, his inept trolling has a certain entertainment value, but I agree he won't be here long.
Old 03-27-19, 07:42 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Makes me feel foolish for trying to help.
Old 03-28-19, 08:48 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'll stick around for the show, but no longer trying to help.
Old 03-28-19, 02:13 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
I'm not against helpful suggestions.
I've read through the thread and I think you've gotten all the helpful suggestions there are to offer. Things are getting testy now so we'll just leave the thread closed and everybody can move on. Good luck with your bike.