Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Out of shape or bad gearing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Out of shape or bad gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 10:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some guy named Greg something or other (his last name escapes me at the moment, road monster gears on his way to winning some long race somewhere in Europe (Finland maybe?). IIRC, he won it three times.

This might put a target on me, but I don't think it's coincidence that the world-class distance masher disappeared as a type of rider during the EPO era. I suspect training for long-distance mashing is just a lost art because the current generation of trainers just doesn't know how to do it.
Old 03-15-19, 10:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Spinning or mashing...... what does that have to do with the OP?

He felt slow doing either.
Old 03-15-19, 11:33 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Could be the gearing to a degree, I suspect the fitness thing contributes too. But I've had drivetrains that put your cruising speed right where you don't want it, so you constantly have to shift between the front rings or risk cross-chaining. It could be that you have too wide a gap between front ring sizes and/or a too close-ratio rear cassette. I don't personally care for a difference over 10-12 teeth between my front chainrings, and I like to have a 1-1 ratio in the small front/big rear for climbing.
Old 03-15-19, 12:20 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
While I don't think the gearing is your issue I'm surprised nobody has asked.... What groupset do you have.?? Tiagra.?? 105.?? Sram whatever....

I put money down on a new bike recently. I want to ride in the hills so gearing, in my mind, was important. I went with the new Shimano 7000 series 105 groupset. The rear cassette is is 11-34 with a double chainring of 48/32.

I'm curious... What's your cassette and chainring.??
Old 03-18-19, 06:07 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Bikes: Cheap ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Anyone else see the flaw in ^^this^^?
My assumption that my buddy is less conditioned than me is pretty sound. Though who knows, maybe I'm conditioned differently. I'm much lighter and much stronger, for sure. He doesn't exercise at all and hadn't ridden in months either. Smokes a lot of plant matter too. The nine miles didn't do any favors to our discrepancy if I wasn't lagging before though, for sure.

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
While I don't think the gearing is your issue I'm surprised nobody has asked.... What groupset do you have.?? Tiagra.?? 105.?? Sram whatever....

I put money down on a new bike recently. I want to ride in the hills so gearing, in my mind, was important. I went with the new Shimano 7000 series 105 groupset. The rear cassette is is 11-34 with a double chainring of 48/32.

I'm curious... What's your cassette and chainring.??
Kind of a mutt gearset. The derailleurs are a Tiagra front and 105 rear. Not sure the cassette series but it's a Shimano 12-24T 9-speed, chainring is a 36/50T FSA Tempo. It's a canned bike package with an aluminum frame and carbon fork that I got for a song. Might be a reason for that though.
Old 03-18-19, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
As long as all the gears can be shifted to efficiently and reliably and the bike doesn't weigh a ton, then don't fault the bike. With the exception that you need to be sure you have reasonable gear ratios available to you for the terrain you are riding and that you know how to use them.

When cruising at a steady cadence, if you are using a lot of leg power to pedal, then you are in the wrong gear and will tire quickly with your quads burning. Find a gear that gives your legs an easy effort.
Old 03-18-19, 09:05 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I'm going with fitness. 15mph is conversation speed and riding 9 miles within your limits to meet your friend should mean that you are properly warmed up and you should have been able to maintain a higher effort right out of the gate in comparison to your friend who was starting "cold" (all things being equal). The other thing is you cannot judge a book by it's cover because some people who look like they wouldn't be a threat on a bike are actually beasts on a bike.
Old 03-18-19, 09:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
A really bad ride after a time off is one of the things that sent me to the cardiologist. If your problem persists, pay attention to it.
Old 03-19-19, 07:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dschmale
Kind of a mutt gearset. The derailleurs are a Tiagra front and 105 rear. Not sure the cassette series but it's a Shimano 12-24T 9-speed, chainring is a 36/50T FSA Tempo. It's a canned bike package with an aluminum frame and carbon fork that I got for a song. Might be a reason for that though.
I'm changing my vote. It could be the gearing.

The issue with a compact double crankset like you have is the lack of cross over gears. With a compact double whenever you change chainrings, you have to also make one or two rear shifts to access the next ratio in a logical sequence. A compact double is fine as long as your favorite flat road gear combination happens to fall in the middle of your cassette. If, however, you find that your bikes gearing coupled with your fitness level forces you to make a lot of chainring shifts, a compact double is a PITA.
Old 03-26-19, 07:40 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I know this is a religious issue for some people, but I firmly believe that some of us are natural mashers. I ride frequent solo centuries in high gears, and I find high cadence/low gear spinning incredibly inefficient for me. Don't be afraid to play around with different gear combos/cadences, I think there's way too much one-size-fits-all thinking on this issue.

I will now prepare to duck and weave.
mashing and spinning are both great if the objective is exercise and having fun. so i do both and will continue to, as both have different effects on our bodies. when riding with others it really would be mannerly to ride together than to leave your friend behind, i had to learn that the hard way. unless of course both were intentionally out to race.

whether one is in shape or not, some people are always going to be stronger than others. as a teen i was in shape, but lost out to friends who were stronger. no problem, just keep pedaling........we all win when riding regardless of first place because of the value of the experience......oh yeah sometimes i win...sometimes.
Old 03-26-19, 12:37 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Dschmale
My assumption that my buddy is less conditioned than me is pretty sound. Though who knows, maybe I'm conditioned differently. I'm much lighter and much stronger, for sure. He doesn't exercise at all and hadn't ridden in months either. Smokes a lot of plant matter too. The nine miles didn't do any favors to our discrepancy if I wasn't lagging before though, for sure.

Remove each wheel and feel the hub bearings? Any drag or gritty feeling? What about the bottom bracket bearing? Try it with the chain off, is it smooth? Pedals as well. These are places where power gets sucked from you.

What is your position like on the bike? And, it's worth answering the cadence question, where are you in the rpm spectrum?

These are all factors...
Old 03-26-19, 02:53 PM
RaihanS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
probably bad gearing