Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 10:48 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Does anything good ever comes out of it?

I used to live in a rural area. When a bad driver passed me, it would simply drive away at 55mph or more and I would never see him/her again.

But now I moved to an urban area. When a bad driver passes me on my commute, I often catch up with them at the traffic light.

I have no interest in staring trouble, but I think some drivers do unsafe things simply because they don’t know any better, or because they don’t realize there is a human being on the bicycle. So I am tempted to start a conversation with them.

The problem is that, from watching YouTube videos, these conversations appear to be nothing more tha useless (and sometimes dangerous) releases of adrenaline.

By bad drivers I mean drivers that break traffic rules in a way that endangers me.
Old 05-21-18, 11:02 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo

I used to live in a rural area. When a bad driver passed me, it would simply drive away at 55mph or more and I would never see him/her again.

But now I moved to an urban area. When a bad driver passes me on my commute, I often catch up with them at the traffic light.

I have no interest in staring trouble, but I think some drivers do unsafe things simply because they don’t know any better, or because they don’t realize there is a human being on the bicycle. So I am tempted to start a conversation with them.

The problem is that, from watching YouTube videos, these conversations appear to be nothing more tha useless (and sometimes dangerous) releases of adrenaline.

By bad drivers I mean drivers that break traffic rules in a way that endangers me.
Not worth the risk in my book.
Old 05-21-18, 12:11 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Me too. And god knows how some jury or judge will rule if he beats you up.
Old 05-21-18, 12:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My last conversation about a close pass, in a convenience store:

Driver: "Was that too close, back there at the right turn?"
Me, after thinking back, "Naw, I didn't notice anything, you were fine."

Maybe he was to close for most bikers, if so he already knew it. No big deal as far as I was concerned.
Old 05-21-18, 12:24 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts

"Coaching" drivers at stop lights is usually taken as "road rage" by many.
Old 05-21-18, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
these conversations nothing more than, useless (and sometimes dangerous) releases of adrenaline.
yup
Old 05-21-18, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I usually try not to, but the other morning I happened to catch up to one who brushed by pretty close. At the next light I caught her eye and held my hands about a foot apart and shook my head no, then held them 3 feet apart and nodded my head yes. She seemed to take it well and mouthed "sorry, my bad."
Old 05-21-18, 02:06 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Yes, I curse 'em out real good. Then they apologize for their poor driving and promise to do better going forward.
Old 05-21-18, 02:19 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Last time I tried that was about 10 years ago when a guy tried to violate the 3 feet to pass law and the speed limit. He pulled up next to me at the stop sign and started telling me he was trying to protect me (I never did figure out what he would have been protecting me from that was more dangerous than him) when I pointed out he would have violated a couple of laws if he'd been able to do so. While he was telling me he was a cop I noticed he was wearing a pistol in a holster and quickly realized no good was going to come of this conversation and vowed to not repeat this mistake.
Old 05-21-18, 03:49 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I really don't want to confront them, and am thankful that I don't have to most of the time, but when it's something really flagrant and foul and I am able to catch up at a light or something I do have a few choiced words. It's the adrenalin.
Old 05-21-18, 06:26 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I did this weekend. I was climbing a hill with a blind peak. A pickup truck approached over the hill in the left lane and about that time someone laid down on the horn behind me. I was about 2' out in the lane. I realized the driver behind intended to pass between me and the oncoming pickup and was blowing the horn for me to get out of the way. Of course, at that point I took the lane completely. When I passed the truck, who had by now stopped, I moved right and waved the person past. She stopped at a light we were near and I rolled up beside her and told her, LOUDLY "DON'T try to pass BETWEEN a cyclist and oncoming traffic, it's DANGEROUS & furthermore, I had a little girl at home who needed her daddy and I'd like to get home alive, & I'd appreciate her not endangering my life! The light changed and she yelled "Then get off the road!". I yelled back "I have a right to be on the road" as she rolled away.

And that was the end of it. I never say anything, I just let it go but this one really rubbed me the wrong way & I didn't put forward my best foot. Dunno why, maybe the horn blowing. I lost an opportunity to gently explain "According to NC law, cars can pass cyclists in no passing zones but ONLY when it is clear and safe to pass. Thank you for not running over me and have a wonderful day." I was more angry at myself than the jerk with the horn. Almost always it's best to just let it go. Out here in the country where I mostly ride I may get one jerk out of every 200 passes, not worth getting all worked up over.
Old 05-21-18, 06:44 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Yeah, I did this weekend. I was climbing a hill with a blind peak. A pickup truck approached over the hill in the left lane and about that time someone laid down on the horn behind me. I was about 2' out in the lane. I realized the driver behind intended to pass between me and the oncoming pickup and was blowing the horn for me to get out of the way. Of course, at that point I took the lane completely. When I passed the truck, who had by now stopped, I moved right and waved the person past. She stopped at a light we were near and I rolled up beside her and told her, LOUDLY "DON'T try to pass BETWEEN a cyclist and oncoming traffic, it's DANGEROUS & furthermore, I had a little girl at home who needed her daddy and I'd like to get home alive, & I'd appreciate her not endangering my life! The light changed and she yelled "Then get off the road!". I yelled back "I have a right to be on the road" as she rolled away.

And that was the end of it. I never say anything, I just let it go but this one really rubbed me the wrong way & I didn't put forward my best foot. Dunno why, maybe the horn blowing. I lost an opportunity to gently explain "According to NC law, cars can pass cyclists in no passing zones but ONLY when it is clear and safe to pass. Thank you for not running over me and have a wonderful day." I was more angry at myself than the jerk with the horn. Almost always it's best to just let it go. Out here in the country where I mostly ride I may get one jerk out of every 200 passes, not worth getting all worked up over.
I despise motorists using their horns like that! In our rural area right now there are plenty of farm equipment that rolls about as fast as a cyclist, yet no one would dare blast the horn like that.

The other day I had some older fat guy on a Harley bagger scream out "Use the sidewalk!" at me on a four lane divided road (kind of a boulevard) where the speed limit is 35. I was doing 28. The lane I was in ended in a 1/16th of a mile, where then my lane was required to merge left at an intersection with stoplights. There was no road to the right at the intersection. I was in the far right position, and the sucker passed by in the left tire track close to the line between lanes.

I was hoping to catch him at the light and squirt him with my water bottle but thankfully he was always a few blocks ahead.
Old 05-21-18, 07:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've rarely had to deal with hostile motorists, but my usual tactic is just to gradually slow down enough that they lose interest in bothering me.
Old 05-21-18, 07:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Too often, but I’m a foolish hothead and I sometimes end up apologizing. In my last encounter, I did an Alphonse & Gaston dance with a young woman in an SUV at a 4-way stop and then told her life would be simpler if she had signaled her left turn. It never got really rude, but at one point she asked, “we’ll do you feel better now?” That was pretty good, I thought. I said, “I feel like an idiot” at which point I’m sure she decided I was completely nuts.
Old 05-21-18, 07:16 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
I've had motorists drive over curbs to avoid having me catch them in traffic at a light after they harassed me in some way. That's not the right way to phrase it, I guess "they perceived I was catching up to them" is correct. I've also seen them turn down a one way street and then come roaring back out just to keep moving, and so forth. It's really quite sad in a way.

I've not pursued a driver as I believe it's pointless as youtube and other anecdotal stories have mostly shown. Just keep riding my route the way I was before.
Old 05-21-18, 09:11 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I always confront dangerous drivers. Living on an island with limited route to commute to work, the confrontations have made the cycling safer.

Some I catch up to at lights and yell at them.
Some I catch up to at lights and talk to them.
Some I catch up to at lights and they keep their window up trying to pretend I am not next to them; even when I have moved to their drivers side window.
Some I spot their car/truck at their home and make it a point to ride by their house as often as possible. Lets them know I am a nearby neighbor.

Commercial vehicles, I call and talk to their boss. If the boss is uncooperative, I let the boss know that my next call is to their insurance company.

Some I can get their name from their license plate # because they have traffic infractions in the vehicle they endanger me with. From that, sometimes I have found their e-mail address and had a discussion that way telling the laws and penalties they are facing for their action.

One woman, I knew from youth sports and e-mailed her. She is a major drama queen.

Some I have reported to police and the cops talk to them.
Some I have reported to police and got them prosecuted.

Only one guy continued to try and harass me to scare me off as a witness to his hit&run. He got convicted and a big legal bill. His son did give me a shaka sign years later about when he learned to drive. So even if Mr. Hit&Run learned little, his son learned a lot.

One guy kept trying to endanger me, he got arrested in front of his work and lost his job because of it. He later got convicted of terroristic threatening. He had mental problems and was still living in his grandmothers townhouse at his age of 33. Seems the grandmother is unable to live on her own now and is in a nursing home or daughters house. The guy is likely homeless now.

One guy (23 year old) got out of his car to save face in front of his friend and fight the 50 year old cyclist. Dude looked very buff. He threw a 3 punch combo, I set down my bicycle, he charged me, he got kicked with a blind kick to his right thigh, followed with a left hook to his face and a right hook that did nothing because he was falling backwards. I got back to a defensive position and Mr. Buff Guy was begging me to "STAY AWAY FROM ME, LEAVE ME ALONE". His buddy told him "let's get out of here", walked him to the car and they sped off. If you cycle regularly, you really do have extremely strong legs that are great for self-defense kicks.

One cop got an internal affairs complaint. She did not get in trouble for the harassment but did get in trouble because she used her siren when she was not authorized to do so (unmarked car, no lights and not traffic duty). Dispatcher got in trouble for trying to cover for the cop and telling me I was breaking the law by riding in the narrow lane.

For me, I am still very much enjoying my cycling.

Last edited by CB HI; 05-24-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 10:14 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Agree 100%.
Old 05-21-18, 10:30 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last driver I "confronted" ended up in cuffs and I was given the options to press charges. He tried to run me off the road a few times for what reason to me remains unkown to this day; after the second attempt to run me off the road/run into me, I kicked the side of his car out of sheer fight-or-flight and took off standing on my pedals a few blocks away to work. I apparently left a considerable dent in his door skin - he was upset and perused me through 2 key coded doors (which he was able to pass through before either closed after me) into a secured government facility. I walked straight to the nearest phone and dialed the gov't police, who met the individual there within about 60 seconds, hands on their sidearms. The gov't cops pushed the man out the door and contacted local city pd who obtained statements and later that day, after viewing available cctv footage, offered to press charges on my behalf. I ultimately declined pressing charges, considering that although the driver attempted to hit me a total of 3 times, it was my kicking his door in that precipitated his action against me. I figured, he has a good reminder on the side of his car to not ever do that again.

Can't say I wouldn't do it again if presented with the same scenario...but then again I have armed in-building police just a phone call away.

Originally Posted by CB HI
Some I spot their car/truck at their home and make it a point to ride by their house as often as possible. Lets them know I am a nearby neighbor.
Yikes. Good luck with that.

Last edited by jack k; 05-21-18 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 10:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by jack k
Yikes. Good luck with that.
It works extremely well. Motorist think they are anonymous to us, once they learn they are not, they quickly learn to behave.
Old 05-21-18, 10:54 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
It works extremely well. Motorist think they are anonymous to us, once they learn they are not, they quickly learn to behave.
Stalking a driver to their house is teaching them to behave?
Old 05-22-18, 02:19 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Define 'confront'.

The most I ever do is pull up next to them, and wave my finger. I don't get in a verbal shouting match.
I haven't lived in a rural area for decades.
I do the same.
I have no interest in starting trouble, but I think some drivers do unsafe things simply because they don’t know any better, or because they don’t realize there is a human being on the bicycle. So I am tempted to start a conversation with them.
I keep my lane and, make it known when I don't want them to try to pass me on a two-lane road.
The problem is that, from watching YouTube videos, these conversations appear to be nothing more than useless (and sometimes dangerous) releases of adrenaline.
Usually
Same here.

Last edited by Chris0516; 05-22-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 02:19 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by jack k
Stalking a driver to their house is teaching them to behave?
How is seeing a car or truck in a car port days or months after they endangered me stalking?

You must think following the vehicle to the next red light is super stalking.

Seems the people that get the most upset with seeing a vehicle in a carport are the ones that have the most they want to hide themselves.

How dumb is it to harass someone when you are within a couple miles of your own home or work. The odds of crossing paths again are pretty high.

And the fact they stop all harassing is an indication they learned to behave.

You seem to be the type that would consider calling the cops on a hit&run, "snitching".
Old 05-22-18, 02:46 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

jack k - does this female cyclist deserve to know where her harassers live?

https://www.bikeforums.net/20353231-post1.html

Seems they have a close idea where she lives.
Old 05-22-18, 04:11 AM
Kristine29

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for bringing up this topic
Old 05-22-18, 04:11 AM
Kristine29

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also facing the same problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.