Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Old 05-22-18, 04:32 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yes, I curse 'em out real good. Then they apologize for their poor driving and promise to do better going forward.
Haha Seriously, I only confronted a driver one time that I can remember, (calmly) and it did go well. But I normally will not. For one, like most have learned, it seldom helps. Two, I seldom get the chance on our roads. (higher speeds and long sections between stops)
Old 05-22-18, 06:03 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Nothing good ever comes of it. I've done it just once, going down a hill at a fair speed someone drove a car out of their drive, straight onto the road in front of me.
No indication, sign of moving out, or anything like that, just a sudden acceleration down the driveway onto the road.
I grabbed two handfuls of brake, slid a few yards down the road, then allowed the adtenadrento take over. Followed the car to the bottom of the hill and I was so pumped up I kept up until they stopped at a set of lights on the way into town.
I leaned down and hammered on the passenger window, and looked in to see a very frightened elderly lady. She shot off through the red light, and with the adrenaline dissipating I got the bike off the road and stood in a state of shame and shock at the roadside.
Lesson learned - I've not even shouted at anyone since, and I still feel ashamed of frightening a pensioner.
Old 05-22-18, 07:09 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Often the driver isn't even aware that he/she has made an 'infraction'. Letting them know may perhaps make them think about it the next time they are in a similar situation and do different. You may be helping other cyclists, one motorist at a time.
Old 05-22-18, 07:15 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Generally my belief is that there is nothing to be gained by trying to educate a driver while on the road. Now if a situation allows me to engage in a conversation with someone, I'll discuss things with them, but most traffic encounters don't afford that opportunity. Someone that endangers me will very likely see me voice my displeasure.
Old 05-23-18, 08:30 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
The only time I try to talk to drivers is for some direct action to protect myself like "stop!" The few times I've gotten into shouting matches I've always been unhappy with myself afterwards for losing my cool. Going after confrontations is usually not a winning strategy.
Old 05-23-18, 12:48 PM
DaveZ
DeadheadDave

Bikes: 1 Trek road bike, 1 Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely do.It's just not worth it, and besides, they are usually gone so fast it makes no difference.
Some clown the other day veered into the bike lane to avoid slowing down for a speed bump, and in doing so cut it pretty close. I waved my arms in the air and seriously doubt they even saw.
Old 05-23-18, 05:09 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
Nothing good ever comes of it. I've done it just once,
One data point is hardly conclusive evidence.
Old 05-23-18, 06:40 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
​​​​Only takes one data point the get you killed or injured.
Old 05-23-18, 06:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I’ve gotten a reasonable share of “sorry, I didn’t see you, mate” along with the “get off the road.”

Unlike the recent time when a guy went the wrong way around a little circle to get ahead of me, failed, nearly hit me, and I hawked up a loogie on his window, I try to maintain a civil, if aggrieved, tone and make a cogent case, like the pillar of the community I am.
Old 05-24-18, 06:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
he probably read about a bunch of others like a cpl I posted about over the years
Old 05-24-18, 07:23 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Sometimes I really really want to, but it's pretty much always better to let these things go.
Old 05-24-18, 07:50 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
There was this one time when I was stopped at a red light and a guy driving an SUV two cars back was yelling something at me. I only caught a few of his choiced words as at the time I was talking to a lady who drove up next to me and decide was going to try to share the lane with despite the fact that I had stopped in the middle of the lane.

The guy in the SUV flashed me the finger as he drove by me after the intersection. I have no idea what I'd done to deserve this, probably just for existing.

I caught up to the dude at the next light. He was two lanes over on the left turn lane. I called out loudly and asked him why he was yelling obscenities at me. He did looked at me through his window but did not say anything. I guess he wasn't expecting a confrontation. Then I just laid into him with a few of my own choiced words. My camera was recording this whole time.

If you're interested.
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...hostility.html
Old 05-24-18, 09:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity yet, but whether I confront a motorist depends on the situation. I'm not a hothead, so I *think* I could speak to them in a reasonable manner and try to explain that cyclists need space, but likely a lot of motorists would see any attempt at communicating with them as hostility.
Old 05-24-18, 09:41 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The passivity of so many of you is absurd. What's the point of demanding our equality on the road if you're going to wuss out when drivers blatantly endanger your life? I've called enough drivers on their idiocy to know that most of them won't touch me. And should the time comes that one of them does, then so be it. I wasn't born with the fear factor and I won't die having people say I didn't walk the talk.
Old 05-24-18, 10:03 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
The passivity of so many of you is absurd. What's the point of demanding our equality on the road if you're going to wuss out when drivers blatantly endanger your life? I've called enough drivers on their idiocy to know that most of them won't touch me. And should the time comes that one of them does, then so be it. I wasn't born with the fear factor and I won't die having people say I didn't walk the talk.
I agree with you that we should stand up for ourselves, and certainly not fear motorists. But the point many here are making is not that they fear sustaining an injury in a conflict, (I know I don't) it's that the end result of initiating a confrontation is likely to be of no benefit to anyone.
Old 05-24-18, 10:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Thanks, travelinhobo. One of the most embarrassing, yet admirable, qualities of my late father was that he never let an injustice to him or anyone else go unchallenged. He was not an imposing man, but his wrath was terrible to behold. I learned to ride in traffic by following him around the streets of Manhattan in the 1960s, where he gave the occasional driver and earful, but never ran a red. I have inherited his hotheadedness, but maybe not all of his sense of justice. I miss the guy.
Old 05-24-18, 10:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Yes, I do sometimes. I've learned that people don't like to be told they've done something wrong. So to convey my point, I try to remove anger from my voice. I phrase my criticism as a request. For example, I might say, "Could you please wait behind me before making your turn rather than cutting me off?" It's only possible to do this kind of thing when we are both stopped, so if the driver is moving, I don't bother trying.

Then again, I did yell at a taxi driver recently, because the problem was urgent. He was passing me closely and getting closer. He was right beside me with his window open, so I yelled, "Not so close, please, not so close!" and he did veer away. Again, this was phrased as a request.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-24-18, 03:27 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
​​​​Only takes one data point the get you killed or injured.
Well, all those one data point drivers have really bad aim when it come to me. My only real injury was from runners in an un-permitted race on a bike path.
Old 05-24-18, 03:56 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Well, all those one data point drivers have really bad aim when it come to me. My only real injury was from runners in an un-permitted race on a bike path.
For your sake, good to hear.
Old 05-24-18, 04:29 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
For your sake, good to hear.
Most of it is attributable to an eyeglass mounted mirror.
Old 05-25-18, 08:39 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is seeing a car or truck in a car port days or months after they endangered me stalking?

You must think following the vehicle to the next red light is super stalking.

Seems the people that get the most upset with seeing a vehicle in a carport are the ones that have the most they want to hide themselves.

How dumb is it to harass someone when you are within a couple miles of your own home or work. The odds of crossing paths again are pretty high.

And the fact they stop all harassing is an indication they learned to behave.

You seem to be the type that would consider calling the cops on a hit&run, "snitching".
First you said you found the offending drivers at their homes in an effort to make them aware that you know where they live. That is, by definition, stalking. Then you changed it to just seeing the car at a car port...which is it? And on what do you base your conjecture of my presumed attitude toward authorities? I would most certainly contact my local pd if I noticed you creeping around my house after an encounter on the road. Don't be an *******.
Old 05-25-18, 09:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by jack k
First you said you found the offending drivers at their homes in an effort to make them aware that you know where they live. That is, by definition, stalking. Then you changed it to just seeing the car at a car port...which is it? And on what do you base your conjecture of my presumed attitude toward authorities? I would most certainly contact my local pd if I noticed you creeping around my house after an encounter on the road. Don't be an *******.
Try reading with a little more comprehension, My first post said:
Some I spot their car/truck at their home and make it a point to ride by their house as often as possible. Lets them know I am a nearby neighbor.
Did you really think I spotted the vehicle within moments of their harassment. You should also read your actual stalking laws, because your claims demonstrates your lack of knowledge. In all states I am familiar with, simply riding or driving down a public road without yelling or signalling threats, or endangering is not stalking.

Your neighbors must really think you are creepy and an *******, by your definition, when you repeatedly ride by their homes. Especially with your face covered in your creepy mask.
Old 05-26-18, 12:41 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Not worth risking your life a second time right after you just survived the first threat.

If you are taunted by provocation, just respond by telling them to call the cops.
Old 05-27-18, 08:15 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try reading with a little more comprehension, My first post said:
Did you really think I spotted the vehicle within moments of their harassment. You should also read your actual stalking laws, because your claims demonstrates your lack of knowledge. In all states I am familiar with, simply riding or driving down a public road without yelling or signalling threats, or endangering is not stalking.

Your neighbors must really think you are creepy and an *******, by your definition, when you repeatedly ride by their homes. Especially with your face covered in your creepy mask.
I never said I did any of that bud, that was you (second time I've quoted this):

Some I spot their car/truck at their home and make it a point to ride by their house as often as possible. Lets them know I am a nearby neighbor.
Since you mentioned reading up on the law (this is for HI):

HRS § 711-1106.5 Harassment by stalking. (2009)
(1) A person commits the offense of harassment by stalking if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, or in reckless disregard of the risk thereof, that person engages in a course of conduct involving pursuit, surveillance, or non-consensual contact upon the other person on more than one occasion without legitimate purpose.

Can you connect the dots? You're the one who does this; not sure how you are conflating your posts with mine. I'm sure you're generally a good person as most are, but even good people do dumb things. Do yourself a favor and just let the small stuff go.

Last edited by jack k; 05-27-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 10:32 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by jack k
I never said I did any of that bud, that was you (second time I've quoted this):

Since you mentioned reading up on the law (this is for HI):

HRS § 711-1106.5 Harassment by stalking. (2009)
(1) A person commits the offense of harassment by stalking if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, or in reckless disregard of the risk thereof, that person engages in a course of conduct involving pursuit, surveillance, or non-consensual contact upon the other person on more than one occasion without legitimate purpose.

Can you connect the dots? You're the one who does this; not sure how you are conflating your posts with mine. I'm sure you're generally a good person as most are, but even good people do dumb things. Do yourself a favor and just let the small stuff go.
Maybe You should do some more research bud. Case law for Hawaii specifically determines that driving/riding on the public roadways in any manner I have described cannot/is not considered HRS § 711-1106.5 Harassment by stalking.

So sad for you with being triggered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.