Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Question about stolen bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Question about stolen bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 04:31 PM
Commuter19

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys I’m not American. British here. I register all my bikes free on bike register website where it’s marked as stolen.

I haven’t done anything yet as I had to just leave and head home and now i can’t do anything as it’s not locked up. As for proof the serial number is what identity’s as it’s yours I know this as my brother got his bike stolen twice but because he didn’t have serial number the police couldn’t identify it was his. 😕😞😕

Last edited by Commuter19; 02-15-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 04:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Like you say...it doesn't have to work more than once.
It has to work a lot more than once to become a sufficiently prevalent problem to start being worried about it.
Old 02-16-19, 07:52 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
It has to work a lot more than once to become a sufficiently prevalent problem to start being worried about it.
Well that's true.

The odds of it happening to you are low.

IF you do a few things to protect yourself the odds of it happening are insignificant to worry about. Sometimes you have to take tiny risks in life.
Old 02-17-19, 07:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
How often do bike sales occur with no text or email record of arranging to meet up?
At garage sales all the time, usually just for inexpensive bikes though.
Old 02-17-19, 07:57 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Do phone cameras focus that close? I was thinking of putting a mirror under it and shooting that.
Yes, they do. Maybe it's an old guy thing, but I use a phone to enlarge text quite often.
Old 02-17-19, 08:34 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This reminds me of the movie: the guy follows the bike thieve (a teenage) home. He knocked on the door and asked to talk to the parent...and asked the parent about the bike...the parent realized his son could never have afforded such a nice bike...proceeded returned the bike to the rightful owner without incident...and the theif afterward got a deserved beating from Dad.
Cool movie. How often do you suppose it would work out this way in real life? The beating especially was a nice touch!
Old 02-17-19, 08:11 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Put your lock on it and it immediately becomes yours again. At that point you’ll be in possession of a bike registered to you. Cutting off the other lock will be well within your rights, as the lock is on a bicycle that the other party cannot prove is owned. Simple.

-Kedosto
Old 02-17-19, 10:54 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Put your lock on it and it immediately becomes yours again. At that point you’ll be in possession of a bike registered to you. Cutting off the other lock will be well within your rights, as the lock is on a bicycle that the other party cannot prove is owned. Simple.

-Kedosto
There is something to be said for this tactic.

If you know it's yours and are SURE it's not one that just looks like yours...

Take it back. The thief who stole it from you isn't going to call the cops on you.
Old 02-18-19, 08:33 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
https://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/

I've been meaning to do this for a few months now since I heard a great podcast with the founder of the 529 garage.

https://outspokencyclist.com/2018/04...april-14-2018/
bikeindex.org

you can upload pics too.
Old 02-19-19, 05:08 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Cool movie. How often do you suppose it would work out this way in real life? The beating especially was a nice touch!
Friend of mine had his motorcycle helmet stolen once (it was secured to his motorcycle, but the thief cut the strap with the D-ring to get it off). Sure enough, a couple of days later he finds a note on his bike with a phone number...

Story ends with my friend going to someone's house, where he gets a sheepish apology from a younger guy (in front of his parents, who forced the apology), and a brand new helmet to replace his old helmet which was irreparably damaged during the theft (and which the parents no doubt made the kid pay for). Don't know whether the kid also go a beating to go with his life lesson...

I think we were saying that it's not easily repeatable because eventually the cops should (and that's a big should) catch on to the scam. But, again, if you are that one unlucky victim of a one-time scam, it's not going to make you feel any better. I just saw a Colnago C60 with Campagnolo stuff for sale on local Craigslist for $6,000. I don't think anyone would enjoy getting hustled out of that much money, or even a tenth of that amount (or even a dollar, if you are big on pride).
Old 02-20-19, 08:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I love the American badassedness in this thread.

Steal the bike back! No one is going to steal a bike and ride it in the same neighbourhood.

Over here, most bikes (even in CPH they steal the entire bike racks with the bikes attached) get immediately shipped out of country to Eastern Europe or Northern Africa usually.

Same with most cars actually! When I lived in New England, I had a colleague with an Escalade (and with a "lo-jack") stolen in MTL. They ended up tracking it via CCTV (after a week or so) to a ship on its way across the Atlantic.

No one wants the hassle on unloading a stolen bikes or even dealing with cleaning parts and trying to sell them alone.

Organised crime doesn't have time for that.

Just claim the insurance and buy a new bike.

Dumb thread.
Old 02-20-19, 10:26 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Right, you are saying there are no tweekers in England? They do steal bikes and ride, and sell in the same community. Nothing organized about their lives. If you get them busted you are doing them a favour. Been there on the recovery side.
Old 02-20-19, 10:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by curbtender
Right, you are saying there are no tweekers in England? They do steal bikes and ride, and sell in the same community. Nothing organized about their lives. If you get them busted you are doing them a favour. Been there on the recovery side.
The majority of bicycle thefts are not by tweekers as there's a very small used bicycle market. Most bike thefts in England (and most other EU countries) are via organised rings that steal hundreds of bicycles and ship them abroad. What you mention is a very small minority or thefts and quite rare unless you live in a tiny village.

Where I live now bike theft is rampant because it's a port city with a plethora of shipping options to southern Europe and over to Northern Africa.

Also, there are at least 10 bike shops and at least 3 or 4 co-ops selling used bikes for low prices (under £40 for a hardtail MTB with used Deore drivetrains) so no one would buy a used bike from an individual unless it was nice (and then they'd check with the police first.) I should say that's for an island with 200k people.

Also also, tweakers don't have a need to ride a bike as public transport (especially buses) will let them ride for free during non-busy hours. Or co-ops will give them bikes for free as the used bikes are essentially liter at this point, where they used get shipped to Africa as donated bikes (which is how the stolen bikes sneak through not-so-legit African customs.)

The same is true with the used car market (so many that they're essentially worthless.) I see cars for under £500 that would go for easily 5-10 times those prices in the US or GER. Just a market over saturation in England for used bikes and cars.

Last edited by acidfast7; 02-20-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 10:48 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Also, I should state that opioid tweaker is distinctly an American phenomenon and quite noticeable last time I was back.

Very, very sad. Especially for the younger people involved.

data: https://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/2714295/premature-mortality-from-drug-overdoses-comparative-analysis-13-organisation-economic

Last edited by acidfast7; 02-20-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 01:02 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by acidfast7
Steal the bike back! No one is going to steal a bike and ride it in the same neighbourhood.
No one wants the hassle on unloading a stolen bikes or even dealing with cleaning parts and trying to sell them alone.
Dumb thread.
I thought you were taking a little break from your usual nonsense, no?

Aside from the obvious fact that all of your generalizations are ill-informed and/or flat our wrong, you also shouldn't assume that everyone's bike is a piece of junk with poorly maintained components like your bike is. You claim to be a scientist, but you clearly don't have the first clue about the scientific method.
Old 02-20-19, 01:26 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I thought you were taking a little break from your usual nonsense, no?

Aside from the obvious fact that all of your generalizations are ill-informed and/or flat our wrong, you also shouldn't assume that everyone's bike is a piece of junk with poorly maintained components like your bike is. You claim to be a scientist, but you clearly don't have the first clue about the scientific method.
The paper I posted shows it's a fact. A sad fact, but a fact.

Why don't you jog on like a good little peasant and let the big boys play.
​​​​
Old 02-20-19, 02:00 PM
robertorolfo

The paper I posted shows it's a fact. A sad fact, but a fact.

Why don't you jog on like a good little peasant and let the big boys play.
​​​​
Ha, calling me a peasant? That's cute. And now you want to play with others in this thread, after labeling it "dumb"? Sure, Ok.

And what fact are you even talking about? You threw up a lot of nonsense for us to wade through, as usual...
Old 02-20-19, 06:48 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Ha, calling me a peasant? That's cute. And now you want to play with others in this thread, after labeling it "dumb"? Sure, Ok.

And what fact are you even talking about? You threw up a lot of nonsense for us to wade through, as usual...
ignored ... not intelligent enough to read the linked PDF ... no content reply as per usual.
Old 02-21-19, 03:37 PM
robertorolfo

ignored ... not intelligent enough to read the linked PDF ... no content reply as per usual.
Ha, go on with your bad self...
Old 02-22-19, 07:31 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts

Over here, most bikes (even in CPH they steal the entire bike racks with the bikes attached) get immediately shipped out of country to Eastern Europe or Northern Africa usually.

Same with most cars actually! When I lived in New England, I had a colleague with an Escalade (and with a "lo-jack") stolen in MTL. They ended up tracking it via CCTV (after a week or so) to a ship on its way across the Atlantic.

Dumb thread.
That might be true in England. But the last 2 bike stolen from me were recovered (sortof) within 10 mi of where I live.
Old 02-25-19, 01:15 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by locolobo13
That might be true in England. But the last 2 bike stolen from me were recovered (sortof) within 10 mi of where I live.
Well, then I'm sorry that you you live in an area where social programmes for "tweakers" fail to remove them from the streets via rehabilitation.

Here, I usually just have to deal with the profit motive rather than other various social components as well.
Old 03-01-19, 02:45 AM
errymo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why not try an Ebike, they have GPS installed
Old 03-01-19, 08:27 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^ What, so the thief will know how to get where he's going?
Old 03-07-19, 11:33 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Even if the bike is the stolen one from the original poster, the new person riding it might not be the thief. No thief just wants to steal a bike and keep it. The thief would either just joy ride on it and dump, sell to someone quickly for money, or strip for parts. But yes use a mirror to read the serial number or use a cell phone to take a pic of it. If it is indeed the stolen bike then use a spare U lock to keep it on the rack and call police.