Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Old 02-11-19, 10:41 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
With restraining order, I went with 1st series Modolo Professional and levers. Replaced pads with Kool Stop.

More jewelry suggestions. I'm leaving the Modolo brake hardware as is but I've changed much of the other component parts screws with Ti and aluminum. Have to admit the Taiwan suppliers are super reasonable and top quality. The prices are FAR cheaper including shipping vs. steel replacements.
Hi Crank_addict
I am a big fan of the Modolo Professional's. My biggest problem with any build is the amount of components left over from changing plans. The amount of available titanium is really a wonderful thing and like you said, the price is reasonable, the only pain I have is waiting for the stuff to show up in the mail box. I really enjoyed seeing your titan, it's a very nice build.

: Mike
Old 02-14-19, 11:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teledyne-Titan-vintage-bicycle-frameset/173791434517?hash=item2876c6d715:gp0AAOSwgPVcY1aA:rk:1f:0

58cm
Old 02-14-19, 10:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Robbie, did you ever do anything with the frame I sold you?
Old 02-14-19, 10:26 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Robbie, did you ever do anything with the frame I sold you?
No, sir, the cracked one is still sitting here, like the day it arrived. I've not found a welder yet who wanted to take a stab at it.
I do have a carbon fork for it, though....
Old 02-15-19, 07:12 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
No, sir, the cracked one is still sitting here, like the day it arrived. I've not found a welder yet who wanted to take a stab at it.
I do have a carbon fork for it, though....
Robbie, can you post a picture of the crack? I might be able to help you out.
Old 02-15-19, 03:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Robbie, can you post a picture of the crack? I might be able to help you out.
If the censors allow it.
Old 02-15-19, 03:49 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
If the censors allow it.
Not THAT crack
Old 02-16-19, 04:31 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Well the hunt for 4238 TZ CLB spec brakes has been interesting (it doesn't help that CLB's P/N for the lesser caliper is 3842) as most of the sets I have encountered are compact 38-47 mm calipers and what I'm looking for are the 46-57 mm calipers. I'm not sure if I'm hunting a unicorn or if the longer TZ calipers are really out there. So things I have discovered is the Titan needs calipers about 52 mm long minimum, so maybe I should be investigating other calipers.

One of the nicer references I have found very valuable is the Palo Alto Bicycles 1976 catalog that lists components by weight and the lists are comprehensive, see the link below:

Palo Alto Bicycles 1976

Switching topics I would like your thoughts on hub selection as I have two hubsets to build from, fairly close in weight and condition,,,

The Weyless Hubs, period correct, mechanically perfect, and somewhat painful to disassemble. I perceive these to be a bit fragile (but so is the frame), I do have a spare hubset for parts. I'm thinking these are the "correct choice".

Or the steel axle O.M.A.S. more easily serviceable than the Weyless, the weight is somewhat in the ballpark, not exactly period correct as I believe these are later than 1980. My perceived downside is these are too Italian looking for a French build but I like them a lot, but there is a 45 gram weight penalty..

Your Thoughts Are Welcome, Thanks: Mike
Old 02-16-19, 11:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Weyless all the way. Less.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-17-19, 02:32 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
CLB did make a brakeset witha longer reach. It was called the Omega.
I think it came later than the Compact Professionel. But I think it did retain the lightweight properties their brakesets were known for and the cam toggle type quick release the top models had. Good news is, the Omega is priced much cheaper than the Professionel by most sellers if you can find them. Maybe because they are long reach and not too many are looking for such these days. Haven't seen a full Omega brakeset being sold for a while, but they do pop up once in a while at eBay....
Old 02-17-19, 08:52 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer

One of the nicer references I have found very valuable is the Palo Alto Bicycles 1976 catalog that lists components by weight and the lists are comprehensive, see the link below:

Palo Alto Bicycles 1976

hey, nice to see a reference to the Palo Alto catalog! I scanned that and sent it off to Mark B. a very long time ago. Glad to hear that it's been useful/interesting to someone! I know that I had spent a lot of time looking at the component weights too.

regarding hubs... I always thought the Weyless hubs just looked like a highly engineered and sophisticated product. No idea how they actually worked, but they sure looked sexy in the advertisements!

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-17-19, 09:38 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
How many fixies were made?

At the ripe old age of 16 I rode on this guys, Ron Skarin, wheel in warm ups at the Northbrook track. Just so happened to drop into a paceline and Skarin was right in front of me. I kept staring at his bike and creeping ever so close to his wheel. Eventually we had a line of 40-50 riders in tow, touching wheels would have caused one serious pile up.The following week Skarin would go on to set a record time in the 4000 meter pursuit at Nationals on his Teledyne Titan. (1976?)
Likes For big chainring:
Old 02-17-19, 09:51 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Well the hunt for 4238 TZ CLB spec brakes has been interesting (it doesn't help that CLB's P/N for the lesser caliper is 3842) as most of the sets I have encountered are compact 38-47 mm calipers and what I'm looking for are the 46-57 mm calipers. I'm not sure if I'm hunting a unicorn or if the longer TZ calipers are really out there. So things I have discovered is the Titan needs calipers about 52 mm long minimum, so maybe I should be investigating other calipers.

Palo Alto Bicycles 1976

Switching topics I would like your thoughts on hub selection as I have two hubsets to build from, fairly close in weight and condition,,,

The Weyless Hubs, period correct, mechanically perfect, and somewhat painful to disassemble. I perceive these to be a bit fragile (but so is the frame), I do have a spare hubset for parts. I'm thinking these are the "correct choice".

Or the steel axle O.M.A.S. more easily serviceable than the Weyless, the weight is somewhat in the ballpark, not exactly period correct as I believe these are later than 1980. My perceived downside is these are too Italian looking for a French build but I like them a lot, but there is a 45 gram weight penalty..

The OMAS might be a couple years earlier than you think, but I don't know. The Italians were often a few years ahead of the trends.

Regardless, I vote for the Weyless, cuz of course you want those.

Keep in mind they are a little dangerous. Probably appropriate for a 70s weight weenie bike. I still remember someone in my bike club eating it because his Weyless QR quick released when it shouldn't have. I think it actually broke. Just something to be aware of. Proceed with caution.
Old 02-17-19, 10:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
CLB did make a brakeset witha longer reach. It was called the Omega.
I think it came later than the Compact Professionel. But I think it did retain the lightweight properties their brakesets were known for and the cam toggle type quick release the top models had. Good news is, the Omega is priced much cheaper than the Professionel by most sellers if you can find them. Maybe because they are long reach and not too many are looking for such these days. Haven't seen a full Omega brakeset being sold for a while, but they do pop up once in a while at eBay....
The reach issue is what caused me to use Superbe 4700 stoppers, I tried DA7402 and Suntour GPX calipers and neither had sufficient reach. My first gen. DA worked, but were butt ugly compared to the Superbe.

It was kind of a shame, as I had a GPX, DA7400, and a Sachs Rival group on hand. None of the calipers would work, and in the end, I stuck with a 120mm rear setup out of fear re: the BB welds.

Half the fun, anyway, right?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-17-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:10 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I seem to recall it was fairly common for people to run campy brakes with lightening bolt kits on weight weenie bikes. That's another way to go if you can't find CLB.

RE reach: In the 70s, normal reach (47-57) was still normal. Short reach was still short. Make it difficult in most cases to put 80s brakes on 70s bikes.
Old 02-17-19, 11:03 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I seem to recall it was fairly common for people to run campy brakes with lightening bolt kits on weight weenie bikes. That's another way to go if you can't find CLB.

RE reach: In the 70s, normal reach (47-57) was still normal. Short reach was still short. Make it difficult in most cases to put 80s brakes on 70s bikes.
Yes indeed and lighter weight than the already svelte CLB caliper was from Galli with factory titanium bolts. In the case of the Titan build, I probably wouldn't be eager using a longer reach Galli Ti for consistent use. Easy rides or show and tell, perhaps.

Another was a Swiss private label catalog offering of modified Campagnolo. All of this stuff was super expensive.

Regarding brake reach, I have an early 1970s Witcomb tt racer / 700c / that the brake mounts are right on the deck. Opposite issue- I can't find a 'short' enough sidepull of that era to fit. The bike is original and built with full Campy N Record but brakes are very ugly modified Weinmann centerpulls.

To stay the course with centerpulls, I acquired two pairs of GB Coureurs shortest reach avail, of which neither work. Decided to toss away the original hacked Weinmann but replace with a clean pair and grind the slot upwards.
Old 02-17-19, 07:38 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
hey, nice to see a reference to the Palo Alto catalog! I scanned that and sent it off to Mark B. a very long time ago. Glad to hear that it's been useful/interesting to someone! I know that I had spent a lot of time looking at the component weights too.

regarding hubs... I always thought the Weyless hubs just looked like a highly engineered and sophisticated product. No idea how they actually worked, but they sure looked sexy in the advertisements!

Steve in Peoria

Hi Steve,
Thanks for doing that scan, it's the perfect snap shot of that era and there's so much usable information in there, and thanks Mark B. for keeping it on line and available.
: Mike
Old 02-17-19, 08:46 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
How many fixies were made?

At the ripe old age of 16 I rode on this guys, Ron Skarin, wheel in warm ups at the Northbrook track. Just so happened to drop into a paceline and Skarin was right in front of me. I kept staring at his bike and creeping ever so close to his wheel. Eventually we had a line of 40-50 riders in tow, touching wheels would have caused one serious pile up.The following week Skarin would go on to set a record time in the 4000 meter pursuit at Nationals on his Teledyne Titan. (1976?)
I think could have been 74, 75, or 76. Northbrook had a lock on the Nationals....good track for pursuiting. That was it in my view.
That bike would get stolen in late 75 or 76, Just cannot recall. Never to be seen again.
At the time is was the only one. The early Teledyne catalogs had a track frame listed, but the order never was fulfilled.
I have to correct myself, probably '75 or '76, in 1974 Skarin used an analog display bike computer, dial indicators for speed and cadence. Kind of cool, not cheap, like $300 in 1974.
Old 02-17-19, 08:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
I had a Weyless jersey I liked very much, they knitted the body as a tube, no side seams. Wool, and comfortable, durable.
I grew out of it unfortunately.
Old 02-17-19, 09:04 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by repechage
I think could have been 74, 75, or 76. Northbrook had a lock on the Nationals....good track for pursuiting. That was it in my view.
That bike would get stolen in late 75 or 76, Just cannot recall. Never to be seen again.
At the time is was the only one. The early Teledyne catalogs had a track frame listed, but the order never was fulfilled.
I have to correct myself, probably '75 or '76, in 1974 Skarin used an analog display bike computer, dial indicators for speed and cadence. Kind of cool, not cheap, like $300 in 1974.
Who knows, that uber rare Skarin track Titan could be in a secret bike collection in countries like Japan, where it is also rumored that a lot of stolen famous artwork are now secretly hidden away in collections (Yakuza?).....
Old 02-17-19, 09:07 PM
Nemosengineer 

Salamandrine, RobbieTunes, crank_addict, Chombi1, and big chainring.
I hope all you guys are having a great weekend. Thanks to everyone and the Weyless will be used for the wheel build. The concerns that were brought up about axle and QR breakage breakage, there is only one grip surface on these hubs and its on the drive side rear hub, so in horizontal dropouts the Weyless hub had a reputation for slipping. My thoughts are to prevent the slipping people would run a lot of tension on the QR to prevent the hub from shifting in the dropouts, If the QR goes ping... I think that is the root of the problem and thankfully the Titan has vertical dropouts so I think I'm OK.
On the subject of brakes which at the moment are the bain of my existence, I have come up with a stopgap measure (see what I did there). First edition Weinmann Carrera's with a reach of 45 to 58 mm for $29.00, thanks eBay, the Carrera's should be in my hands Friday, the attached photo is courtesy of the eBay vendor. All I can say is this is something that fits, that gives me time to find a more permanent solution. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and there all under consideration as he search goes on.

Very minor progress was made with other parts, the 3ttt Record stem lost 25 grams of weight with a new set of titanium hardware, and now weighs 245 grams down from 270.

Before

After

Best Wishes: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 02-18-19 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Correction to brake drop dimensions
Old 02-17-19, 10:32 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 02-17-19, 10:50 PM
Chombi1 

Fantastic! Really nice to see another serious weight weenie project in BF C&V forum again!!
Old 02-17-19, 10:54 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by crank_addict

Cool advertising from TT,..... but wondering about that last pic.....
Supposed to be stress analysis on the frame..... but where is the stress coming from??
Old 02-17-19, 11:01 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Follis Titan 1975

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.