Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help me find a Gravel Bike with Road Endurance Manners

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Help me find a Gravel Bike with Road Endurance Manners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 08:08 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I've decided to throw this out to the collective knowledge of BF members to see if I'm missing anything in my search for a gravel bike, or endurance road bike with wider tire clearance. I ride mainly crushed-limestone paths near my house and paved roads--nothing too harsh. But I have found that 35c-40c wheels are ideal for my riding conditions, and would like the option to switch wheelsets for road rides as well. I really like the Trek Domane, but it only clears 700 x 35c. The Trek Checkpoint has been at the top of my list, but it is not available with the adjustable rear IsoSpeed (compliance is fixed) . So while I figure out if this is a deal breaker or not, I am considering some other options.

Here are my criteria:

Geometry like an endurance road bike (stable handling, low bottom bracket).

Clearance for up to 700 x 40c tires.

Endurance road bike gearing (2 x 11 with 50/34 up front and 11-34 in the back seems ideal).

Weight that approx. 20 lbs with a 56cm frame, or that can be upgraded easily to be under 20 lbs. Something 21-22 lbs stock will be fine. This probably rules out a lot of steel bikes or heavy touring rigs. I would like to use this bike as a road bike with a second wheelset and lighter 28c tires, so I don't want a tank.

A smooth ride that soaks up vibrations. Not squishy, but not jarring.

Hydro disc brakes and thru-axle wheels.

Budget: $2,000-$3,000

Shimano 105 R7020 hydro is sort of my target zone.

What I've ruled out: The Specialized Diverge, due to maintenance requirements for the Futureshock. I like to do my own maintenance and will never bring a bike back to a shop for anything, so something like that is a deal breaker. The Canyon Grail because of it's wacky dual handlebar. I'm still thinking about the Giant Revolt, but have to figure out why it's so heavy. Perhaps it can be salvaged by swapping out some Giant proprietary parts.

What awesome bikes am I neglecting to look at? Mason? Kona? Others? I can also do a frameset, as I enjoy building up a bike from scratch.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
I was at a Giant dealer last Saturday and asked the salesman to weight the Revolt Advanced 0 in size M/L. It was 19.08lbs without pedals.
Old 03-20-19, 08:14 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I was at a Giant dealer last Saturday and asked the salesman to weight the Revolt Advanced 0 in size M/L. It was 19.08lbs without pedals.
I'm sure he used the "good scale".

This bike is appealing. Can't get Ultegra Hydro at that price from a Trek or Specialized. Biggest compliance "gimmick" on the giant is the D-shaped seatpost section (and a ridiculously long seatpost).
Old 03-20-19, 08:18 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

I'm sure he used the "good scale".

This bike is appealing. Can't get Ultegra Hydro at that price from a Trek or Specialized. Biggest compliance "gimmick" on the giant is the D-shaped seatpost section (and a ridiculously long seatpost).
Not to mention it comes with carbon wheels too.
Old 03-20-19, 11:02 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
OP, you might check out the All City Cosmic Stallion. Beautiful steel frame with carbon fork, road manners, 105 mech, clearance for 700c x 41's. I'm also in the market and would probably go this route but want to clear up to 700 x 45, which the Whiskey fork on the All City can't accommodate. I think this setup hits all your marks though.
Old 03-20-19, 11:37 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
OP, you might check out the All City Cosmic Stallion. Beautiful steel frame with carbon fork, road manners, 105 mech, clearance for 700c x 41's. I'm also in the market and would probably go this route but want to clear up to 700 x 45, which the Whiskey fork on the All City can't accommodate. I think this setup hits all your marks though.
Man, I hefted one of those in the shop the other day and I couldn't believe how heavy it was.
Old 03-20-19, 11:53 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Originally Posted by shoota
Man, I hefted one of those in the shop the other day and I couldn't believe how heavy it was.
Really? I mean, I know it's 4130 which shouldn't make that fact too surprising. I read somewhere about a very average-sounding build coming in at around 22 lbs., which didn't strike me as overly-heavy for what it is. Granted, the wheel and tire combo make all the difference..
Old 03-20-19, 11:56 AM
shoota 

Really? I mean, I know it's 4130 which shouldn't make that fact too surprising. I read somewhere about a very average-sounding build coming in at around 22 lbs., which didn't strike me as overly-heavy for what it is. Granted, the wheel and tire combo make all the difference..
I guess what I meant is that I expected it to be lighter. They tout it as this super light, better than 853 frameset but I doubt most anyone could get a full build under 20lbs easily.
Old 03-20-19, 12:40 PM
ridethetown

@shoota - Right. It's hard to get any gravel-first, road-second build under 20 lbs. within a $3k budget without it being a crappy ride. Personally, I wouldn't want to be spending much time off tarmac on a sub-20 lb. bike unless it was dedicated to CX racing. I'd chased lowest-possible-weight on so many bikes and builds until I came around to the reality that ride quality and comfort matter so much more for preventing fatigue.
Old 03-20-19, 01:10 PM
shoota 

@shoota - Right. It's hard to get any gravel-first, road-second build under 20 lbs. within a $3k budget without it being a crappy ride. Personally, I wouldn't want to be spending much time off tarmac on a sub-20 lb. bike unless it was dedicated to CX racing. I'd chased lowest-possible-weight on so many bikes and builds until I came around to the reality that ride quality and comfort matter so much more for preventing fatigue.
It's funny you say that. I actually went the other direction. Started with a 24-ish lbs Raleigh Tamland and while it was a great bike, I just always felt the need for a more lively ride. Wound up with a Cannondale SuperX and now I'm looking for something as light as the SuperX, that feels like the SuperX but that is slightly more gravel orientated. Basically I'm in the same boat as the OP.
Old 03-20-19, 01:47 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 281 Posts
Ibis Hakka MX? Love mine and the complete Rival build is around $3K and weighs 19 lbs in a size 55...
Old 03-20-19, 02:18 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
It's funny you say that. I actually went the other direction. Started with a 24-ish lbs Raleigh Tamland and while it was a great bike, I just always felt the need for a more lively ride. Wound up with a Cannondale SuperX and now I'm looking for something as light as the SuperX, that feels like the SuperX but that is slightly more gravel orientated. Basically I'm in the same boat as the OP.
My Stigmata fits that bill. Not as aggressive as a full-on CX race bike but not as lax as a full-on gravel bike. My size 58 bone stock weighed 18lbs. Can take 40mm tires in the rear with room to go a bit wider like a 42mm. I run it 2 ways.

Dirt wrecker with a Fox AX up front and 650b Thunder Burt
Nice and plush nimble road with stock carbon fork and the new 32c GP5000's.
Old 03-20-19, 02:37 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Maybe I should be focusing on road first, gravel second then. The Domane can fit 35c tires (claimed is 32c, but they offered it as the "Domane Gravel" last year with 35c with the exact same frame and fork). It might be fine with the right tire choice. There may be other "endurance road bikes" out there that could squeeze on a 35c or larger.... The gravel trails around here are pretty mild--all crushed limestone with a few sandy spots or soft spots after it rains, but large sections are almost like pavement. I've tried it with 28c road tires, and nearly crashed on some softer sections. I then tried a drop bar converted Trek fitness bike (a tank at 27 lbs) with 35c tires. They were fine, but I liked my 700x38c Challenge Gravel Grinders a lot better.

I just see several gravel options with Shimano 105 that are in the 20-22 lb range, and I feel I could easily upgrade some key components, and put a lighter road wheel set on there for when I want to do a Century ride or go out with roadie friends.
Old 03-20-19, 02:37 PM
shoota 

I saw an Ibis at Land Run this past weekend. Looked like a fine ride. I forgot about the Stigmata, that's also a worthy frame to look into.
Old 03-20-19, 02:43 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

I forgot about the Stigmata, that's also a worthy frame to look into.
Santa Cruz has not been on my radar since the '90's. Looks like they were bought by the Dutch parent company of Cervelo. Interesting... I figured they were another ASI or Pacific Cycle type of a brand, but apparently not.
Old 03-20-19, 02:54 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Santa Cruz has not been on my radar since the '90's. Looks like they were bought by the Dutch parent company of Cervelo. Interesting... I figured they were another ASI or Pacific Cycle type of a brand, but apparently not.
I got the Santa Cruz because all the MTB guys I know that swear by them (plus the huge discount since it was a last year model). I know guys that will only own SC frames. Apparently not much has changed since the buyout. If you wreck a frame they will sell you the newest one with at least a 50% discount. Doesn't matter if the old frame was 10 years old.
Old 03-20-19, 08:16 PM
Noctilux.95

Glory Cycles in South Carolina is selling a complete Pinarello Gan GR-S Endurance/Gravel bike with Ultegra and tire clearance up to 38mm for under $3K. It even has a mini rear suspension. And the bike looks awesome.

https://glorycycles.com/pinarello-ga...8000-bike-2018
Old 03-21-19, 07:20 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Glory Cycles in South Carolina is selling a complete Pinarello Gan GR-S Endurance/Gravel bike with Ultegra and tire clearance up to 38mm for under $3K. It even has a mini rear suspension. And the bike looks awesome.

Wow. That looks very very nice.
Old 03-21-19, 07:30 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I always suggest that people wanting a road bike that can be ridden off-road, look at old Raleighs and Peugeots from the 70's and early 80's. They can typically clear 35 mm tires, and have all the road bike attitude and manners you could ever ask for. Unfortunately, there are no disc brakes or thru-axle wheels, but they can often be had for a couple hundred bucks, Reynolds 531 is the real thing, and the retro styling is 100% genuine.
Old 03-21-19, 08:57 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I always suggest that people wanting a road bike that can be ridden off-road, look at old Raleighs and Peugeots from the 70's and early 80's. They can typically clear 35 mm tires, and have all the road bike attitude and manners you could ever ask for. Unfortunately, there are no disc brakes or thru-axle wheels, but they can often be had for a couple hundred bucks, Reynolds 531 is the real thing, and the retro styling is 100% genuine.
I am avoiding vintage steel for this one, even though I love vintage steel. I am an all weather rider, and the crushed limestone gravel paths I ride on tend to coat my bike with fine limestone dust So I have to flush my bike with soap and water on a frequent basis. It may be an unnecessary hang up according to some, but I hate getting my steel bikes wet!
Old 03-21-19, 09:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

According to Pinarello it takes 38 mm tires max. The seatpost is aero and unless I'm mistaken it is proprietary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to dissuade but just mentioning it as an additional data point, that's all.

That particular bike has an otherwise great parts mix given the price.

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-21-19 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 03:50 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I had been totally avoiding aluminum, but something about this Cannondale Topstone 105 is calling to me.. I feel like those big cushy WTB tires would take the buzz off of any aluminum frame, and the newer Cannondales are know for their smooth rides. I respect Cannondale's expertise in aluminum frames.

Great price for what this is! I'm going to see if my local dealer has any in stock.
Old 03-21-19, 05:02 PM
Noctilux.95

Cannondale will be introducing a carbon version of the Topstone in May.
Old 03-21-19, 05:38 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I had been totally avoiding aluminum, but something about this Cannondale Topstone 105 is calling to me.. I feel like those big cushy WTB tires would take the buzz off of any aluminum frame, and the newer Cannondales are know for their smooth rides. I respect Cannondale's expertise in aluminum frames.

Great price for what this is! I'm going to see if my local dealer has any in stock.
I want one of those too. I wonder how it handles on the road with 25's?

Old 03-21-19, 05:56 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
the topstone is nice, but its ~23lbs. A CAADX is 1-2lbs lighter IIRC
Old 03-21-19, 06:15 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by redlude97
the topstone is nice, but its ~23lbs. A CAADX is 1-2lbs lighter IIRC
That Topstone FSA crankset is over 800 grams, and those 40c WTB Nano tires are 530 grams each!

Last edited by HarborBandS; 03-21-19 at 06:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.