Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Carbon or Bust

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Carbon or Bust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 09:35 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Component (un) reliability is nothing new. Granted the brifters are more complex devices, but there was a time when Campy RDs were poo-pooed for performance/reliability, even as simple as they were. Likewise with Simplex plastic RDs.

Electronic shifting? YGTBSM. Don’t see the appeal. Disc brakes? I’m on the fence with that.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 03-20-19, 09:36 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
And for the record, today I rode in to work on a 41-year old steel bike. I enjoyed my ride very much.
Yes, but was it a 41-pound steel bike?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 03-20-19, 09:41 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I like steel as much as the next guy (or gal), but you know that if carbon fiber had been available in the 1930s, Rene Herse, Alex Singer, Nichola Barra, and all those guys would have been using it.

Our bikes would be a lot heavier and poorer-performing today if it weren't for the "weight weenies" of the past.
Can you imagine racing in the Alps on a single-speed steel bike, like the early TdF riders? It was definitely about the engine back then!

There were AL bikes available before 1900, so there was access to lighter weight frames in the past. Not embraced by the public at that time, even though high tech.

I’m not surprised people buy cheap stuff and replace it when it breaks. We’ve been conditioned to see that as normal. The economy would crumble if people only bought high-quality, long-lasting products.

Last edited by horatio; 03-20-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 10:31 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
As an old ex-racer, from the days of steel, I really appreciate the performance, and feel of my two carbon bikes. One is a comfort and endurance Roubaix, the other is an aero, racer stiff, Di2, disc brake wonder bike. That being said, I still love and ride my 55 year old Legnano race bike (46 miles yesterday, 16+ mph average). I'm not a cycle tourer, not a commuter, I just love riding. It serves no purpose to dis people who prefer carbon over steel. It's like dissing people who like broccoli, just because you do not. Cycling is a big buffet table of goodness. Take what you want, love what you ride, ride what you love. Its all good. Don't blame the manufacturers, consumers rule, manufacturers only provide the buffett.

My oldest ride ...

... and my newest (c-word ) ride.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-20-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 11:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I shy away from carbon fiber for a reason few talk about. Failure mode. Aluminum frames and forks for the same reason. I have lived through an aluminum fork failure. (If something of that magnitude were to happen again, I pray I won't live. Once is plenty. So I ride steel and titanium frames. (The titanium ones built by builders I know and have been doing it a long time. TiCycles. Been in the game almost as long as Merlin and Lightspeed.) Steel forks, steel steerers, always.

I make no claim these parts won't fail. I do have some belief, based on experience, that those failures are very likely not to be physically costly to me. I have had two steel frames break on me while riding (a right chainstay and a seattube at the BB, two forks; a blade midway and both blades at the crown. (Yes, that last one was scary. We, myself, the builder and the metal plater made a series of decisions that almost worked out very badly. I descended 2000' on those blades that barely got me home. I replaced that fork with a good ol' - brand new - 531 fork with a deeply scalloped crown ... and paint. It's going nowhere in my lifetime!)

I will never race and haven't since I hung up my numbers a year after my head injury. I now have NFL "loose brain syndrome". Spending a lot of time on wheels is not being very smart. So I absolutely do not need the speed advantage of CF. I do love climbing but for me, the pure joy of it happens when the bike fits perfectly; it and me form a smooth machine. Weight and speed really don't matter much.

Rode yesterday about 35 miles on my old Mooney. Fancier materials wouldn't have made the ride any better. (Now less wind would have. Aero wheels would have helped, But being blown around more, well, maybe not. The rest of the aero was all about the long, low back and frame material makes zero difference there!)

Ben
Old 03-20-19, 04:31 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
As an old ex-racer, from the days of steel, I really appreciate the performance, and feel of my two carbon bikes. One is a comfort and endurance Roubaix, the other is an aero, racer stiff, Di2, disc brake wonder bike. That being said, I still love and ride my 55 year old Legnano race bike (46 miles yesterday, 16+ mph average). I'm not a cycle tourer, not a commuter, I just love riding. It serves no purpose to dis people who prefer carbon over steel. It's like dissing people who like broccoli, just because you do not. Cycling is a big buffet table of goodness. Take what you want, love what you ride, ride what you love. Its all good. Don't blame the manufacturers, consumers rule, manufacturers only provide the buffett.
I have to disagree with you on cycling being a buffet of goodies. While in the entire universe of cycling there is something for everyone. But at the LBS level, all the buffets have the same stuff. Unfortunately when you see the same stuff everywhere, you assume that is all there is. You only know there is whole array of other options if you spend all sorts of time obsessively researching (and of course if you have found your way to this pocket of the Internet - you are likely the type to do so).

I'd love it if I could show up to the buffet and find something classic-ish looking that gives you the best of both worlds combo of a Rando bike with a townie bike. Unfortunately that isn't available and I have to make it myself. But I can definitely find many flavors of carbon, gravel and crappy commuter. And I have to find the secret club and password for the people who have or are adjacent to what I want.

Honestly it feels like in my local shops there is even less choice than there was 3 years ago. And I live in a place with lots of shops and lots of choices. Regular old USA has even less options than I have.
Old 03-20-19, 04:39 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I shy away from carbon fiber for a reason few talk about. Failure mode. Aluminum frames and forks for the same reason. I have lived through an aluminum fork failure. (If something of that magnitude were to happen again, I pray I won't live. Once is plenty. So I ride steel and titanium frames. (The titanium ones built by builders I know and have been doing it a long time. TiCycles. Been in the game almost as long as Merlin and Lightspeed.) Steel forks, steel steerers, always.

I make no claim these parts won't fail. I do have some belief, based on experience, that those failures are very likely not to be physically costly to me. I have had two steel frames break on me while riding (a right chainstay and a seattube at the BB, two forks; a blade midway and both blades at the crown. (Yes, that last one was scary. We, myself, the builder and the metal plater made a series of decisions that almost worked out very badly. I descended 2000' on those blades that barely got me home. I replaced that fork with a good ol' - brand new - 531 fork with a deeply scalloped crown ... and paint. It's going nowhere in my lifetime!)

I will never race and haven't since I hung up my numbers a year after my head injury. I now have NFL "loose brain syndrome". Spending a lot of time on wheels is not being very smart. So I absolutely do not need the speed advantage of CF. I do love climbing but for me, the pure joy of it happens when the bike fits perfectly; it and me form a smooth machine. Weight and speed really don't matter much.

Rode yesterday about 35 miles on my old Mooney. Fancier materials wouldn't have made the ride any better. (Now less wind would have. Aero wheels would have helped, But being blown around more, well, maybe not. The rest of the aero was all about the long, low back and frame material makes zero difference there!)

Ben
If weight and speed don't matter, you should try a tadpole trike.

Old 03-20-19, 04:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
I have to disagree with you on cycling being a buffet of goodies. While in the entire universe of cycling there is something for everyone. But at the LBS level, all the buffets have the same stuff. Unfortunately when you see the same stuff everywhere, you assume that is all there is. You only know there is whole array of other options if you spend all sorts of time obsessively researching (and of course if you have found your way to this pocket of the Internet - you are likely the type to do so).

I'd love it if I could show up to the buffet and find something classic-ish looking that gives you the best of both worlds combo of a Rando bike with a townie bike. Unfortunately that isn't available and I have to make it myself. But I can definitely find many flavors of carbon, gravel and crappy commuter. And I have to find the secret club and password for the people who have or are adjacent to what I want.

Honestly it feels like in my local shops there is even less choice than there was 3 years ago. And I live in a place with lots of shops and lots of choices. Regular old USA has even less options than I have.
I agree with you 100%.

Most (but not all) of the CF frames are either generic looking, or too weird looking. Granted, generic or weird is strictly in the eye of the beholder.

I will not criticize or question othe riders’s choice of frame and equipment, but again I agree with you that the manufacturers are not giving consumers real choices.

I happen to think that both of my CF bikes are classy looking, in an understated sort of way. But they may not be everyone’s cup of grappa. And that’s OK with me.

My steel frame bikes are very classy looking, I get lots of admiring comments whenever I ride either one of them.

It is a big world out there, go out and have fun regardless of bike frame construction material.
Old 03-20-19, 04:49 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I agree with you 100%.

Most (but not all) of the CF frames are either generic looking, or too weird looking. Granted, generic or weird is strictly in the eye of the beholder.

I will not criticize or question othe riders’s choice of frame and equipment, but again I agree with you that the manufacturers are not giving consumers real choices.

I happen to think that both of my CF bikes are classy looking, in an understated sort of way. But they may not be everyone’s cup of grappa. And that’s OK with me.

My steel frame bikes are very classy looking, I get lots of admiring comments whenever I ride either one of them.

It is a big world out there, go out and have fun regardless of bike frame construction material.
I saw a few carbon bikes at NAHBS that I liked. I'm just way over it on the whole carbon is the only choice for everything mindset.
Old 03-20-19, 04:57 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
OK, so I feel the need to weigh in. I have two road bikes that I ride regularly. One is a ~15 year old, sub-20 pound pro-level (state of the art in its day) race bike; the other is an I-don't-know-how-old (30-40 years probably), 30-ish-pound full 531db race bike, 650b conversion with VO fenders and dynamo lighting. I average about 2mph faster on the light bike, but I doubt that the bike is inherently faster. More likely I ride faster on it because it feels lighter and livelier. If I had to choose one, it'd be the 650b bike because it's more versatile and I don't always ride on good roads in nice weather. But I'm glad I haven't had to choose. I love them both.

SP
OC, OR
Old 03-20-19, 05:02 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by rando_couche
OK, so I feel the need to weigh in. I have two road bikes that I ride regularly. One is a ~15 year old, sub-20 pound pro-level (state of the art in its day) race bike; the other is an I-don't-know-how-old (30-40 years probably), 30-ish-pound full 531db race bike, 650b conversion with VO fenders and dynamo lighting. I average about 2mph faster on the light bike, but I doubt that the bike is inherently faster. More likely I ride faster on it because it feels lighter and livelier. If I had to choose one, it'd be the 650b bike because it's more versatile and I don't always ride on good roads in nice weather. But I'm glad I haven't had to choose. I love them both.

SP
OC, OR
I love ALL my bikes. BUT, like I said, the CF Cannondale will go with me to the mountains, when I go.

Old 03-20-19, 05:30 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

My last bike shop bike was 2007, and it wasn't a great experience. They spent zero time on fit. I had to go back several times to get the front derailleur adjusted, and finally went to a different shop to get it properly adjusted to keep the chain from jumping off the big chainring. Every following bike has been direct from builder, Craigslist, or from swap meet parts and a frame I rescued from a scrap pile. Bike repair and maintenance is not that hard to learn. I don't feel too sorry for some disappearing bike shops. The good ones who truly care about their customer and product, will hopefully survive. If not, there are all kinds of ways to find, buy, or build the exact bike to fit your needs. Its not that hard. I enjoy the research, the hunt for parts, and making it all come together. If not, there's always Walmart, for carbon free shopping. 😉
Old 03-20-19, 05:42 PM
old_dreams

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
+1. The important thing is to get out of the car and on to a bike.

I have several steel bikes and one CF. Love riding them all.
Old 03-20-19, 07:01 PM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have no interest in riding a carbon bike... seen too many pictures of exploded carbon from people that were just riding along. I do really like my carbon rail brooks saddle and would maybe try carbon fenders if they ever become widely available.
Old 03-20-19, 07:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by horatio
If weight and speed don't matter, you should try a tadpole trike.
Someone has to show me how you do the "dance" on a tadpole. The dancer - out of the saddle uphill with everything, bike and rider, moving side-to-side but with the tire tracks going straight up the hill. I live for that dance.

Ben
Old 03-20-19, 07:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by nazcalines
I have no interest in riding a carbon bike... seen too many pictures of exploded carbon from people that were just riding along. I do really like my carbon rail brooks saddle and would maybe try carbon fenders if they ever become widely available.
I would like to see some of those pictures, along with detailed information about the bikes, how they were maintained, what happened just before the alleged explosion, etc. In other words I would like to see evidence that tends to prove the claims that CF spontaneously explode mid-ride.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-19, 07:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts

@jade408....... reading this I am more inclined to think you should at least call and talk to silva cycles, or looke them up on facebook to see some builds and such..... I think that is would be worth your while to to trek from the east bay. the mechanic (Tahn) has been my go to guy for years when I am out of time or have screwed something up. They stock Rivendell, Jones and such

here is an example of something they did.... MTB to city bike

Old 03-20-19, 07:27 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Someone has to show me how you do the "dance" on a tadpole. The dancer - out of the saddle uphill with everything, bike and rider, moving side-to-side but with the tire tracks going straight up the hill. I live for that dance.

Ben
Recumbents can never duplicate the “out of saddle” rocking rhythm. It’s a different experience. But if you’re having balance issues, it’s more stable. Guess I misunderstood your “NFL head” comment. Dance on, my friend.

Old 03-20-19, 07:28 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Different tools for different jobs.

You guys know me- I have a large collection of iconic steel (and some aluminum) bikes, and I ride them all hard. Very hard, considering my age.

Yesterday, rode a 30+ mile course with a close riding buddy. I was on steel, he was on his Project One Superbike. Time: 1:54.
Today, same route with the same buddy on his same bike, but I was on my sole carbon bike, a Canyon Endurace with 105. Time: 1:45.
Yep, a nine minute difference.

Yesterday was maybe more fun, but today was crazy fast. Probably could have done better than 1:54 on the Mooney, Cinelli or Pelizzoli, but still.
Old 03-20-19, 07:39 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by squirtdad
@jade408....... reading this I am more inclined to think you should at least call and talk to silva cycles, or looke them up on facebook to see some builds and such..... I think that is would be worth your while to to trek from the east bay. the mechanic (Tahn) has been my go to guy for years when I am out of time or have screwed something up. They stock Rivendell, Jones and such

here is an example of something they did.... MTB to city bike

That looks super fun!

I ended up taking the super upgrade path! I am working on a custom frame build. I debated back and forth on stock frame or not.

Got my parts finalized and deposit down! Hope to be riding it in June.

I did a fitting, and am planning custom front and rear racks. Super excited about my build!

It was actually the fitting that pushed me over to custom frame. The process and seeing my measurements really solidified why I have been having such fit struggles in the stock bike sizes.
Old 03-20-19, 07:42 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by horatio

Recumbents can never duplicate the “out of saddle” rocking rhythm. It’s a different experience. But if you’re having balance issues, it’s more stable. Guess I misunderstood your “NFL head” comment. Dance on, my friend.
Its not balance. I get concussions really easily. Just a hard body slam can do it. My brain is loose inside my skull. (Hence the "NFL loose brain syndrome. Those guys know what am talking about.) Edit: That makes riding in close quarters and following wheels more than occasionally not very smart.

Ben
Old 03-20-19, 07:44 PM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I would like to see some of those pictures, along with detailed information about the bikes, how they were maintained, what happened just before the alleged explosion, etc. In other words I would like to see evidence that tends to prove the claims that CF spontaneously explode mid-ride.

Thank you.
Yes, it would be nice if there was a forensic carbon inspector out there to catalog it all and conduct interviews, review video footage. Personally, I just choose not to use it. I've crashed my bike enough times I'd be crazy to keep riding it if it were carbon, but since it's steel, I have full confidence in it.
Old 03-20-19, 07:49 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts

Thank you.
Old 03-20-19, 08:04 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Chombi1
You forgot the soda and the M&Ms.
Old 03-20-19, 08:15 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by nazcalines
Yes, it would be nice if there was a forensic carbon inspector out there to catalog it all and conduct interviews, review video footage. Personally, I just choose not to use it. I've crashed my bike enough times I'd be crazy to keep riding it if it were carbon, but since it's steel, I have full confidence in it.
Yes, evidence goes a long way to prove, or disprove, claims. Without evidence, opinions are just that opinions based upon personal biases.

I have crashed on bikes using all sorts of condtruction material, steel, aluminium, titanium and yes carbon.

In fact I have crashed twice with the C60. First time crashed against a K-rail on PCH and broke a finger. The C60 was fine. I crashed another time, also with the C60, hit my head and suffered a subdural hematoma. Once again, the C60 was not damaged.

Finally, last year my car was rear-ended with the C60 on the Thule hitch rack. The car suffered damage, the rack was totaled. The C60 suffered only cosmetic damage. I sent it to Calfee where the bike was examined and declared safe to ride.

I support your enthusiasm for steel bikes; two of mine are good old steel. I also support your decision not to go with a CF bike. CF is not for everyone. Interetingly enough, you would buy a saddle with carbon rails, none of my saddles have carbon rails

I just have a problem with claims that lack the evidence or science to back them up.

Ride safely, ride long.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 03-20-19 at 08:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.