Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good wheel-on trainer - worth upgrade to direct drive?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-24-19, 03:44 PM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I have very good wheel-on smart trainer - Tacx Genius T2080 with also descents simulation, ANT+/BT connection, power/speed/cadence monitoring, zwift compatible etc - it's good. According to manufacturer, accuracy is +/-5%, but after tests with external cad/power meter in crank arm, I can say, that "measurement error" is about 10% (FTP test on internal power meter = 290 W, on external = 250 W, big difference).

This trainer is very good, and also it isn't too loud. I consider exchange to direct drive smart trainer like Wahoo Kick or Tacx Neo. These trainers are more accurate, maybe quieter... But, is it worth it? I can sell current trainer, multiple this by two (or three!) and then buy direct drive trainer. I have only one bike with two wheelsets (CX bike, wheels with tyres for road and also for gravel/cx) and afraid, that trainer will be require some derailleur adjustments avery exchange. I also have external power meter (as wrote before, as crank arm) - Watteam Powerbaet and use it on zwfit / workouts to monitor/control power and cadence, because I want to make differences between trainer/real riding as small, as possible

I know, that wheel-on trainers have some problems with tyre slippage on high power / small cadence, but it was important only if I use low gears on bike. With higers and ERG on Zwift, everything will good.
So... is it worth it? What can I gain from direct drive trainer?

Last edited by Cyclist0114; 03-24-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 07:34 PM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe try updating or calibrating your wheel on trainer before dumping it
Old 04-03-19, 09:13 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would say look into a quarq power meter and a speed cadence sensor for your bike . You will get the most accurate data regardless the trainer.

Or a full on direct drive smart trainer. You will get good data but also erg mode if you are into that kinda thing.
Old 04-04-19, 04:29 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've gone through the same decision process. I don't have a noise issue with my Wahoo Kickr SNAP, perfectly happy using it on Zwift for workouts, races, rides, etc. I don't have a power meter on my bike, so I'm not really needing more accuracy in the power estimation on the trainer.

So, most of the advantages of a wheel-off trainer aren't there for me. The major disadvantage of my current setup is when real biking season comes around, if I want to use the Trek 520 I use on Zwift, I have to change the rear tire back to a road tire (from a trainer tire I bought that seems to last forever). Then, on rainy days when I want to do a Zwift ride, I just use the road tires on the SNAP and it does wear them faster. Changing tires every time I do that (which is only once a month or so over the summer) is too big of a pain - taking the rear wheel off would make that situation much easier. If I only had one bike, this would be a bigger issue as there are many times over the winter where I ride outdoors, too.

I had actually decided I would make the switch for that reason, until I hit the immovable object: my 520 is so old (1996 or so) that it has a 7 speed cassette on the rear and none of the major direct driver trainers support that. So, I'm sticking with wheel-off.
Old 04-05-19, 02:12 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I've gone through the same decision process. I don't have a noise issue with my Wahoo Kickr SNAP, perfectly happy using it on Zwift for workouts, races, rides, etc. I don't have a power meter on my bike, so I'm not really needing more accuracy in the power estimation on the trainer.

So, most of the advantages of a wheel-off trainer aren't there for me. The major disadvantage of my current setup is when real biking season comes around, if I want to use the Trek 520 I use on Zwift, I have to change the rear tire back to a road tire (from a trainer tire I bought that seems to last forever). Then, on rainy days when I want to do a Zwift ride, I just use the road tires on the SNAP and it does wear them faster. Changing tires every time I do that (which is only once a month or so over the summer) is too big of a pain - taking the rear wheel off would make that situation much easier. If I only had one bike, this would be a bigger issue as there are many times over the winter where I ride outdoors, too.

I had actually decided I would make the switch for that reason, until I hit the immovable object: my 520 is so old (1996 or so) that it has a 7 speed cassette on the rear and none of the major direct driver trainers support that. So, I'm sticking with wheel-off.
I just use a spare wheel and old tires . Takes me 20 seconds to swap
Old 04-08-19, 01:23 AM
Cyclist0114

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, I though about that so long and decided to not change anything. I have two wheelsets and on winter can mount trainer tyre for one - if I'ld like to ride outside, must spend only few minutes to swap wheels and adjust brakes (discs). It's fast and easy.
Also, if I have external power meter, I can use it on current trainer and also outside - with the same accuracy. This Tacx is more than enough for me, so... it's nonsesne to buy new for more money.