Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The only drive train I would spend a lot of money on

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The only drive train I would spend a lot of money on

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 08:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
What CS did, and you can see it pretty clearly on their 2018 interbike demo, is replace all the 'teeth' on the shaft pinion 'gears' with individual bearings. It looks kinda like a flower, when viewed from the end. The teeth on the crank and cassette are shaped to drive and be driven by those circular bearing races.
One of Major Taylor's later track bikes was set up similar to this. Bicycle Design by Tony Hadland:

Likes For tcs:
Old 09-10-19, 04:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts

You save 8 secs. over 40 KM and for how much?
Old 09-10-19, 06:35 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7j3IdOvEOo

You save 8 secs. over 40 KM and for how much?

That 8 seconds could be worth half a million bucks $$ if the 40 KM ends on the Champs-Élysées
Old 09-11-19, 06:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
That 8 seconds could be worth half a million bucks $$ if the 40 KM ends on the Champs-Élysées
Can't wait to collect my cash in Paris. There's a beer in it for you. Maybe wine since we will be in France.
Old 09-11-19, 11:07 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm as far from being an engineer as an adult can be, but the fact that the demo had to be plugged into a wall socket instead of running off a battery suggests that it has to be constantly under power to keep the bike in gear.
Engineer here. I doubt that it needs constant power. The video shows that changing the gears involves turning a screw. There's no reason that power would be needed to maintain the rotated position of a screw.

There could be many reasons why the prototype needed external power.

Old 09-11-19, 04:11 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
My, my, would you look at this ... everything old is new again.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:I...art-Page91.jpg
Likes For rollagain:
Old 09-11-19, 05:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Similar principle perhaps?

https://www.sears.com/sci-scandicraf...4&blockType=G4
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 09-12-19, 07:36 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I don't see myself ever owning one.
A Pinion w/ belt drive. Maybe next year.
Old 09-13-19, 01:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Engineer here. I doubt that it needs constant power. The video shows that changing the gears involves turning a screw. There's no reason that power would be needed to maintain the rotated position of a screw.

There could be many reasons why the prototype needed external power.
The screw is going to be how they vary the length, but the angle is also going to have to vary as it shifts from cog to cog. With the contacts limited to one bearing at the crank and cog, this is going to be very precise or it won't work. The bike, the cogs, the crank are going to be moving, encountering bumps, turns, stops and starts. Isn't this going to require constant microadjustment to maintain the contacts?
Old 09-13-19, 02:29 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
all in the pursuit of perfection....the first real drive train that is actually different and holds great promise for the future
Chainless drives have been around for well over 100 years.
Old 09-13-19, 07:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Pretty much all of the previous shaft drive systems have used bevel gears, ie: teeth-on-teeth. Whether it's been straight cut or helical, it's pretty much like what you'd find in a shaft-drive moto, just smaller scale.

What CS did, and you can see it pretty clearly on their 2018 interbike demo, is replace all the 'teeth' on the shaft pinion 'gears' with individual bearings.
There were companies making roller gear shaft driven bikes before 1900. The picture that most of us have seen of Major Taylor shows him on a roller gear bike, for example. One thing is almost guaranteed, as far as bikes go, it has all been done before. I see this was noted earlier in the thread.

I appreciate what CS has done here, but shaft driven bikes went out of favor for a lot of good reasons. The main one being that you can't make a rear triangle stiff enough to make it work well. And it seems like CS is limited to 250 watts at this point because of that. OTOH, I am impressed they made it shift, didn't think that was going to happen

I think the reason it was plugged in was that they didn't want batteries to die in the middle of a big show. And they probably haven't developed their own batteries yet. It will be interesting to see if this ever makes it to market. I thought it was just a PR stunt last year, but it sure looks like they are serious about it now.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-13-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-13-19, 09:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
The screw is going to be how they vary the length, but the angle is also going to have to vary as it shifts from cog to cog. With the contacts limited to one bearing at the crank and cog, this is going to be very precise or it won't work. The bike, the cogs, the crank are going to be moving, encountering bumps, turns, stops and starts. Isn't this going to require constant microadjustment to maintain the contacts?
What angle are you talking about?
Old 09-13-19, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What angle are you talking about?
Bear with me as I'm an admitted technical idiot, and I'm quite possibly wrong about this, and even if I am correct, I don't have the language to describe it adequately.

Basically, this is a high-tech egg beater lateral to the frame of the bike--when the crank is turned, the not-chain-ring "meshes" with bearings on the front end of the shaft, turning the shaft, which turns a wheel in the back with bearings that "mesh" with the cogs.

The smaller the cog, the farther it is from the center of the axle. So not only does the shaft have to be longer or shorter to shift gears, it also needs to move away further from the wheel to reach the smaller cogs. I assume there's an optimal amount of pressure being applied from the bearing to the ring/cog where there is just enough to transmit the energy but without introducing extraneous friction, so the angle I'm talking about is the one from the center line of the bike lengthwise to the shaft.
Old 09-14-19, 06:25 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

The smaller the cog, the farther it is from the center of the axle. So not only does the shaft have to be longer or shorter to shift gears, it also needs to move away further from the wheel to reach the smaller cogs. I assume there's an optimal amount of pressure being applied from the bearing to the ring/cog where there is just enough to transmit the energy but without introducing extraneous friction, so the angle I'm talking about is the one from the center line of the bike lengthwise to the shaft.
The angle would change if you think of the 'driver' like a cassette for a chain-driven bike.

CS's 'driver' is flat. All the cogs are concentric rings of teeth that stick out from the same plane.

The shaft doesn't have to move, but the pinion moves back and forth along the shaft to engage each 'gear' It would appear they're using some sort of diamond screw to accomplish that stepping action.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 09-14-19 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-14-19, 08:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have to say that at first I thought the rear gear was conical. Maybe they had a conical version at some point? Still looks conical in some shots.

I am assuming that they are smart enough to use a lead screw that doesn't need constant force to stay in position. Most lead screws can't be back driven very well, and I don't see the forces here that would do it anyway. Of course, there still can be an issue with backlash and deflection of the frame.