Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Extra parts, what to do...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-14-19, 12:19 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

If you are into biking for awhile you tend to buy new/used parts to try and customize/upgrade your ride. After a few years or so, now you have a collection of bike parts in a bin that are too good to throw away but not quite good enough to sell.

Take tires as an example, you buy another set (cheap upgrade) to try while you current set is not even half used up. You swap them out thinking that you will use that as a spare. After while all these thing pile up. BTW I think this goes on for any hobby.

So what does everyone do with all these parts? After awhile your significant other will start calling you out on it. Is there a time and place to let these things go? Just wondering...
Old 12-14-19, 12:23 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Find a used/cheap/free interesting frame and build another bike.

Then go here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ox-builds.html
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 12-14-19, 01:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Give to bicycle co-op or non-profit.
Old 12-14-19, 01:31 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I have an old bike I use for donor parts and it is to the point where I should donate it to the co-op so they can rebuild it and sell it. Yet it never seems to have gotten there... procrastination.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 12-14-19, 02:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Donate
Home - Bike Kitchen San Francisco

https://www.sfyellowbike.org/

https://pedalrevolution.org/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-14-19, 02:26 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I give mine away to cycling buddies who need them. I've given wheelsets, saddles, and plenty other parts.

As far as half used stock tires? Heck, mine never make it that far. I'd rather toss them and save the hassle.
Old 12-14-19, 02:41 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If it is a bike you may sell at some point, keep them to put on before sale. Example, I have Jones bars on my bikes, which I intend to use on future bikes. other examples pedals and so on. when I sell the bike, I put the original stuff on

If those are just crappy parts, like tires you upgraded, sell them. Some bike messenger or commuter always needs a $5 tire. Or use for a project bike, or donate to coop.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 12-14-19 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 12-14-19, 06:28 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Gotta love first world problems.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-14-19, 06:37 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I give my take-off's to the local Co-op.

Last edited by 02Giant; 12-15-19 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-15-19, 04:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I keep them because I know that eventually at some point in time I may use them again...Here is an example: I used to have drop bars on my mountain bikes for a few years, then I took them off and changed to riser bars and kept the drops in my parts bin for a few years. Just this week I decided to go back to drop bars and I am glad I had them in my parts bin.
Old 12-17-19, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
I have built up 3 bikes currently with parts. One a lovely hybrid with a 8 speed XT rear derailleur XTR 9 speed shifter, a Tiagra Hollowtech II crank that also had the BB, a set of Surly Moloko bars and some other fun parts I didn't spend anything on or spent very little on. The second was built up as a vintage road bike with a mostly complete 600 Tricolor gruppo that I bought for $20 that came on a Guercotti bike I gave to a co-worker. The third was built up as a touring bike for a smaller rider and just need to get it sold at this point but unfortunately the last buyer backed out when he left the company. I have also helped various friends out with their bikes and picked parts for various other builds to keep things going. I just pulled another frame that we were tossing and am planning on throwing more parts on that and probably giving it away to a friend who could really use it.

Basically having parts in stock have saved me and built me some really awesome bikes. Granted yes I have stockpiled some primo parts and some oddities but I wouldn't want to live without them. I love the fun of rummaging around the parts bins and building up a bike from it, it is an awesome feeling.
Old 12-17-19, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
I do nothing. My friends spend much more on bikes, components and gear than I do, thus anything extra would be of no interest. No co-op around here, waiting to assemble a full bike, then donating it
Old 12-18-19, 01:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have a number of quality extra components such as old-shcool Dura Ace front and rear derailleurs, Dura Ace Uniglide hubs (with cassette) and other good components. Unfortunately up here in Ontario Canada postage is so expensive that it's hard to sell these things. I used to donate to the not so local bicycle co-op before it became a storefront type operation with high prices for most components. So, those components continue to languish in my parts boxes.

Cheers
Old 12-18-19, 02:19 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I currently have a full 10sp 105 groupset and two sets of 10sp road wheels in my basement that are in used-but-good condition.
I debated trying to sell the parts on ebay, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, so I'm planning to donate them to a local co-op next week. Hopefully they can find a use for this stuff. I've donated complete bikes in the past but never just parts.
Old 12-18-19, 04:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I offer for free of my spares that I see no use of to a few people that ride bicycles & if they don't want them, I pitch them. Not having the space to hoard the parts causes it. Plus, a newer version or change on my bicycle dictates the decision, pending other variables.
Old 12-19-19, 11:06 AM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Like many bike enthusiasts who have been riding for many years I too have collected way too many extra bike parts. It kind of creeps up on you.

Well the other week I boxed it all up and searched for a local Co-op to donate it to. Should have seen their faces when I arrived. It is the holidays after all. They were very happy to get the parts.

I received a tax donation receipt and an invitation to volunteer if I had some extra time.

Great to recycle and keep good parts out of the landfill.