Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hmmm...scary stuff...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hmmm...scary stuff...

Old 01-30-20, 08:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Hmmm...scary stuff...

https://khn.org/news/california-bike...-25-year-high/

the article makes no mention so i know it is not related but i wonder how many are getting hit with the additional high drivers in some states. mine legalized pot one or two years ago. i occasionally smell it while riding.

and i am not giving drink driving a pass, i know it goes on too. i just don;t think that adding more influenced drivers is a good thing.

combination of more drivers, more bikers, dumb drivers, dumb bikers...
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-30-20, 10:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I doubt weed smoking is a factor.

This: https://norml.org/library/item/marij...tific-evidence

may include a study I saw some years ago by an insurance company that found that high drivers were actually safer-

because of driving slower. They compared the stats of several states before & after legalization. So at least if more pot = less alcohol...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-30-20, 11:14 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Texting drivers scare me much more than high drivers.
It's hard to tell who the high drivers are, it's easy to tell who the texting drivers are
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 01-30-20, 11:43 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
1-Devices. By that I pretty much mean texting. When I see someone driving and texting at the same time while on my bike, I kind of lose it. I'm that guy, sorry.
2-Uber and Lyft. These drivers are motivated by one thing: revenue. Following traffic laws seems to be way down on their lists. Oh, and they're on their devices.
3-The sense of heightened anxiety and dread about life in general. It doesn't make people drive more safely.

All these factors make me take my commute (in traffic) quite seriously and keeps me in the moment while I'm riding. It's been great practice for me that has helped me in other areas of life.
Ride safe and be aware-don't become a statistic!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 01-31-20, 01:41 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
How many “cyclists” are under the influence when driver/cyclists accidents happen?

In my hometown back in the states we legalized weed a while ago. I can tell which neighborhood I’m in by smell alone.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 01-31-20, 02:57 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
How many “cyclists” are under the influence when driver/cyclists accidents happen?
True, that probably happens more often than drivers under influence.
Old 01-31-20, 02:57 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I was almost rear-ended on the local MUP last summer by a fool trying to get his iPhone app set to track his ride. Fortunately, he looked up at the last minute.
Old 01-31-20, 05:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
More drivers, more cyclists. More crashes. The article doesn't contain enough data to get more sophisticated than that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-31-20, 06:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
More drivers, more cyclists. More crashes. The article doesn't contain enough data to get more sophisticated than that.
Exactly. More cycling fatalities could simply be a result of more cycling.
Old 01-31-20, 06:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Koyote
Exactly. More cycling fatalities could simply be a result of more cycling.

And more driving. If you look at the rate of fatalities per million, it troughs during the Great Recession. Otherwise, it's largely a pattern of spikes and drops between 3 and 4 deaths per million. People drive less during a slow economy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-31-20, 06:47 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
THANK you.

To the OP: I'm sorry, but this type of post actually has negative information content. It results in baseless speculation, confirmation of readers' biases, small sample bias, arguments based on anecdotal experiences, and other senseless arguments which, in the end, make us all dumber for having read it.

This is not just you, this is a lot of people, here and everywhere on the internet. I've been guilty of it too, and I probably will screw up and do it again in the future. Do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and educate yourself on statistics and data analysis. In the meantime, we could all go by livedarklions' example and not jump to conclusions that are not supported by the data.

Last edited by noimagination; 01-31-20 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 01-31-20, 06:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
And more driving. If you look at the rate of fatalities per million, it troughs during the Great Recession. Otherwise, it's largely a pattern of spikes and drops between 3 and 4 deaths per million. People drive less during a slow economy.
Yep. The statistic would have more relevance if it were reported as fatalities per million miles ridden. This is typically how accident and fatality rates are reported for, e.g., motor vehicle and air travel. Even that statistic would require a lot of interpretation – – statistical regression analysis to filter out other influences would help.

To add some positive content: if anyone is really worried about being hit by a car while riding, the solutions involve wearing helmets, riding defensively, and putting lots of bright lights on the bike.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-31-20 at 07:18 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-20, 08:35 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
more delivery drivers on the roads too
Old 01-31-20, 09:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
more delivery drivers on the roads too
More everything, including phones and bigger vehicles of all sorts. Again, there's just not any fine-grained data here at all, and deaths per capita is just too messy a statistic to be useful in discerning causation.
Old 01-31-20, 09:55 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Road fatalities in the US are up for all roadway users and that includes cyclists, Pedestrians, and even Drivers after hitting lows around 2011.
This won’t be a popular opinion, but the rise in popularity of SUVs in the last ten year I think promotes a different driving style I call ‘ I’m invincible and don’t care about other road users’ and also any accident, even a minor one, has a higher fatality chance since the SUVs are higher off the ground and so much bigger and heavier than cars so you’ll get crushed and killed instead of winding up on the hood or getting thrown clear (very bad injury vs. death).
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 01-31-20, 10:10 AM
ups

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep. The statistic would have more relevance if it were reported as fatalities per million miles ridden. This is typically how accident and fatality rates are reported for, e.g., motor vehicle and air travel. Even that statistic would require a lot of interpretation – – statistical regression analysis to filter out other influences would help.

To add some positive content: if anyone is really worried about being hit by a car while riding, the solutions involve wearing helmets, riding defensively, and putting lots of bright lights on the bike.
I wondered how many were using bright lights. Can't tell you how many ninjas I see or people without lights. When I go out I always use flashing front and back.

Last edited by ups; 01-31-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 10:20 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
https://youtu.be/uFcUto0xje0
Old 01-31-20, 10:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
THANK you.

To the OP: I'm sorry, but this type of post actually has negative information content. It results in baseless speculation, confirmation of readers' biases, small sample bias, arguments based on anecdotal experiences, and other senseless arguments which, in the end, make us all dumber for having read it.

This is not just you, this is a lot of people, here and everywhere on the internet. I've been guilty of it too, and I probably will screw up and do it again in the future. Do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and educate yourself on statistics and data analysis. In the meantime, we could all go by livedarklions' example and not jump to conclusions that are not supported by the data.
^this. 100%. It is difficult for me to read most of what appears on the internet because of the complete lack of fundamental understanding of statistics and data analysis. Almost all of what is thrown at the public lacks even the rudiments of good investigative analysis and differentiation between facts and horribly skewed assumptions and bias.

This indictment would also include most of what I post, to be honest, though.
Old 01-31-20, 10:47 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Road fatalities in the US are up for all roadway users and that includes cyclists, Pedestrians, and even Drivers after hitting lows around 2011.
This won’t be a popular opinion, but the rise in popularity of SUVs in the last ten year I think promotes a different driving style I call ‘ I’m invincible and don’t care about other road users’ and also any accident, even a minor one, has a higher fatality chance since the SUVs are higher off the ground and so much bigger and heavier than cars so you’ll get crushed and killed instead of winding up on the hood or getting thrown clear (very bad injury vs. death).
This. Plus distracted (cell phones) driving also makes an impact.

Cars are safer than ever, but accidents and fatalities are increasing. It's awful, honestly.
Old 01-31-20, 11:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
THANK you.

hmmm...probably should re-read my post. i only posted an article, neither it nor i made any causal relationship. i only added an unrelated statement of fact.

and i will agree with other posters that hand held devices are probably worse considering the amount of time one's eyes are off the road while diddling. i see so many hands holding phones while driving every day here in Nevada where it is illegal.
Old 01-31-20, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by spelger
hmmm...probably should re-read my post. i only posted an article, neither it nor i made any causal relationship. i only added an unrelated statement of fact.

and i will agree with other posters that hand held devices are probably worse considering the amount of time one's eyes are off the road while diddling. i see so many hands holding phones while driving every day here in Nevada where it is illegal.

So your musing about "high drivers" wasn't related to crash causation? That's weird.