Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The New Bicycling

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The New Bicycling

Old 01-25-20, 08:02 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
The New Bicycling

I was at the doctor's office the other day, the "New" Bicycling Magazine was there. (Don't see in many place anymore.) Has anyone seen this since it got sold and moved to NYC? It seemed better then the old rag. What do you think?
Old 01-28-20, 06:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I got a few in the mail, I'm not sure why. It seems like they're really trying hard to diversify their readership, lots of focus on women, riders of color, etc.

I never really liked it that much to begin with, so I don't know if it's better or worse (for me).

Before it was too many techy reviews of overpriced bikes and gear, and too many articles about optimizing 'performance' (Tips to Destroy Hills! Increase your Endurance! etc)

Now it's too many techy reviews of overpriced bikes and gear, and too many human interest stories about random people that happen to have bikes.
Old 01-28-20, 11:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I was at the doctor's office the other day, the "New" Bicycling Magazine was there. (Don't see in many place anymore.) Has anyone seen this since it got sold and moved to NYC? It seemed better then the old rag. What do you think?
For many years even before the move to NYC Bicycling magazine has been referred to by many bicyclists as "BUYcycling magazine since the purpose of the magazine seems to be to sell stuff.

How I miss the days when Bicycling magazine had infrormative articles about things like touring and how to set up your bicycle for the best fit or for climbing st cetera.

Cheers
Old 01-29-20, 09:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
How I miss the days when Bicycling magazine had infrormative articles about things like touring and how to set up your bicycle for the best fit or for climbing st cetera.
I subscribed to Buycycling for three or four years. Reviews, I learned to ignore them after a few months. But the problem with Bicycling seems to be the same as for most hobby/skill magazines: there's only a few years' of content. So you learn to spin (or how fast to grind) up a hill, learn to do sprints or intervals during training, etc. Unless you don't have a long term memory, you'll see an article on how to climb hills faster every six months, and pretty soon you start thinking, "I've read this before." Same thing happens with woodworking (how to make a dovetail joint, there's only a few viable ways), bird watching (once you've learned what sparrows are in your area and how to distinguish them, you're just double-checking yourself the next time that article comes around), and even cooking (learn how to braise meat once, you're pretty much done). Of course you can read new recipes in new magazine issues -- or I can look at a bookshelf of cookbooks.

And so you're left with reviews. Reading about how new design X is far more vertically compliant and laterally stiff than last year's design -- it's enough to develop critical thinking skills in the most ardent political activist/twitter echo chamber reader. (Maybe we should subsidize hobby magazines for just that reason!) So you buy one magazine every year for the hobby you're interested in to see what's changed since the last one you paged through. (Wider tires! Gravel bikes!)
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-29-20, 10:33 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The magazine I miss from "bitd" is Mountain Bike Action. Mountain biking was my absolute passion for a very long time and I looked forward to MBA like no other magazine. I had a subscription to Bicycling and a couple of other magazines over the years, but again, the only one that really brings back fond memories for me is Mountain Bike Action.

It still exists, but I probably haven't read it in at least fifteen years, I just don't read magazines anymore. It would be interesting to pick up a copy and see how it compares to the old issues.
Old 01-29-20, 11:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Enthusiast press is pretty much the same regardless of topic. When they set out to do Real Journalism it really hurts their bottom line and they have to teach themselves occasionally, like the time Motorcycling declared cheaper helmets safer than SNELL 2005, lost helmet advertising, and ultimately fired the reporter.

I like club magazines better. Model Aviation was better in every way than Model Airplane News, at least in the late 80s to early 90s when I was getting them.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-29-20, 11:57 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
The magazine I miss from "bitd" is Mountain Bike Action. Mountain biking was my absolute passion for a very long time and I looked forward to MBA like no other magazine. I had a subscription to Bicycling and a couple of other magazines over the years, but again, the only one that really brings back fond memories for me is Mountain Bike Action.

It still exists, but I probably haven't read it in at least fifteen years, I just don't read magazines anymore. It would be interesting to pick up a copy and see how it compares to the old issues.
I picked up an MBA a few months ago. Zap Espinosa is still there, now writing guest editorials. It was very nostalgic.
Old 01-29-20, 12:10 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by Chinghis
I picked up an MBA a few months ago. Zap Espinosa is still there, now writing guest editorials. It was very nostalgic.
Wow, that's cool. I really liked Richard Cunningham's stuff
Old 01-29-20, 01:07 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Picked up a few months from the library last week. Didn't realize it changed but now that you mention it. Good mixture of the cheaper and way expensive bikes, equipment etc. It's ok but I won't get a subscription since the library is free.
Old 01-29-20, 05:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Poor print mags. There's so much available online these days, I just can't bring myself to pay $$$ for a magazine as thick as a quarter. As an author of (paper) books, I should be more sensitive to those who stick their necks out and commit to paper; however, I find the wealth of Internet articles and reviews written by plain folks so much more informative and interesting than almost anything I have ever read in any ad-supported/influenced cycling magazine.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 01-30-20, 10:32 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Don't know if they've succumbed, but many mags charge for "reviews" now. Also, they reduced issues to six per year. I haven't been a fan for many years.
Old 01-30-20, 11:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Just heard that Dirt Rag went belly up
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-30-20, 11:54 AM
well biked

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Just heard that Dirt Rag went belly up
Yeah, I saw that. I subscribed to DirtRag years ago. Maurice Tierney was an institution.
Old 01-30-20, 10:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Poor print mags. There's so much available online these days, I just can't bring myself to pay $$$ for a magazine as thick as a quarter. As an author of (paper) books, I should be more sensitive to those who stick their necks out and commit to paper; however, I find the wealth of Internet articles and reviews written by plain folks so much more informative and interesting than almost anything I have ever read in any ad-supported/influenced cycling magazine.
Yes! Plus many times if you do buy a magazine for a certain article you'll find that the article is chopped up into pretty small segments and those segments are dwarfed by the amount of advertising on the page that article segment is on.

Another thing is that there are no so many videos online that show you exactly how to do something.

I can't remember when I last bought a new bicycling magazine but I think it was in the very early 1990s.

Cheers
Old 02-05-20, 01:00 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Yeah, I saw that. I subscribed to DirtRag years ago. Maurice Tierney was an institution.
i used to have a bicycling times subscription but it folded they gave me Dirt Rag to continue. I canceled the subscription after their smart alec response to the new editor's response to a letter to the editor.