Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter/Spring Gloves

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Winter/Spring Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 01:03 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Winter/Spring Gloves

Looking to buy gloves for 40F and warmer weather. My rides are usually about two hours. I don't want anything bulky (so I can grab food from my back pockets) and want to be able to use my phone while I'm riding (touch-screen compatible?). What are your fav winter/spring gloves? Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-09-20, 01:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Merino glove liners.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-09-20, 01:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Castelli full finger Team Glove. No padding, just grippy. Perfect for the conditions you're describing.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-09-20, 01:21 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Use a thin full-finger glove. A lot of suitable options are sold as "MTB" gloves.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 03-09-20, 02:19 PM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by caloso
Castelli full finger Team Glove. No padding, just grippy. Perfect for the conditions you're describing.
Is there a link to these gloves caloso?
Old 03-09-20, 02:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Rapha Classic Gloves. So nice that I wear them off the bike, too. They are expensive, but they also go on sale occasionally.

The only knock (besides price) is that they don't register as a touch on my phone's fingerprint reader, which acts as a home button on my phone.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-09-20, 05:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Is there a link to these gloves caloso?
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/.../TK0457SC1-000
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-09-20, 09:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Other than touch screen compatible, I've been satisfied with Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves for 4 years. Discontinued but still available online in some retailers.

Great cool weather gloves, and warmer with microfiber liners. I do have some liners with touch screen sensitive fingertips. But I never use my phone while riding so I don't really need that feature. If I did I'd consider modifying the Bontrager glove by snipping a finger slot, then sewing up the cut edges for reinforcement, maybe adding an overlap to block the wind.

My heavy weight insulated winter gloves have touch screen sensitive fingertips too, but that material wore out quickly.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-09-20, 11:14 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
dhb Aeron Lab All Winter Polartec Gloves - https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-aeron-lab...olartec-glove/
Thin, relatively warm, breathable, work with touch screens. Perfect somewhere around +4 to +8 C temperature (39 - 46 F) though in general good enough from 0 up to 12 C (32 to 54 F). I guess it is British "all winter" temperature range. Definitely not for below freezing temperatures and at the upper temperature range they are definitely an overkill and too warm but acceptable as they are breathable: hands don't sweat much but feel really warm.
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 03-10-20, 07:52 AM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by canklecat
Other than touch screen compatible, I've been satisfied with Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves for 4 years. Discontinued but still available online in some retailers.

Great cool weather gloves, and warmer with microfiber liners. I do have some liners with touch screen sensitive fingertips. But I never use my phone while riding so I don't really need that feature. If I did I'd consider modifying the Bontrager glove by snipping a finger slot, then sewing up the cut edges for reinforcement, maybe adding an overlap to block the wind.

My heavy weight insulated winter gloves have touch screen sensitive fingertips too, but that material wore out quickly.
Looked at it but seems like it's not available at all or no XL sizes. Thanks for the rec tho.

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
dhb Aeron Lab All Winter Polartec Gloves - https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-aeron-lab...olartec-glove/
Thin, relatively warm, breathable, work with touch screens. Perfect somewhere around +4 to +8 C temperature (39 - 46 F) though in general good enough from 0 up to 12 C (32 to 54 F). I guess it is British "all winter" temperature range. Definitely not for below freezing temperatures and at the upper temperature range they are definitely an overkill and too warm but acceptable as they are breathable: hands don't sweat much but feel really warm.
Will give it a look. Thx!

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Rapha Classic Gloves. So nice that I wear them off the bike, too. They are expensive, but they also go on sale occasionally.

The only knock (besides price) is that they don't register as a touch on my phone's fingerprint reader, which acts as a home button on my phone.
I'll probably grab a pair when they go on sale. It's kind of out of my price range but thx!
Old 03-10-20, 08:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
I'll probably grab a pair when they go on sale. It's kind of out of my price range but thx!
I picked mine up at 50 bucks - well worth it at that price.
Old 03-14-20, 08:14 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I ride in Minnesota and I’ll ride until ice forms on the roads (ground freezing). It’s really hard to get gloves right in cold weather. The best thing that I have done is invested in a glove system. The gloves system from Phew is the best thing I’ve found.

Shop ? Phew

Besides being tailorable to the conditions so well, having the windproof layer and a second windproof layer is the best way to keep your hands warm that I’ve found. These are the lightest weight, warmest gloves I’ve found.

Second best are Castelli’s gloves. I have a set of everything of theirs from warm to their “winter” gloves. They’re second best but a distant second.

A close tie with Phew is the Dissent glove system.

https://www.dissent133.com

J.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 03-14-20, 08:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Blank Diamond and Backcountry teamed up to make a glove called Skintrack, ostensibly for skiing uphill, but it would probably work for cycling too. Works for skiing at high output, which is more intense than cycling.
Old 03-14-20, 10:47 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Won’t be helpful for now; Check out the Castelli gloves. They have a bunch of gloves for that temperature range. End of season, they go on sale for cheap.
Old 03-15-20, 07:04 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
https://www.rei.com/c/glove-liners
Old 03-16-20, 10:10 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Consider oversized gloves. That air spaces keeps you warm, compressed insulation and conductive cooling (from touching the wind shell) do not. After doing a lot of testing this winter, I found that oversized windproof gloves with liners (specifically BlackDiamond Gridtech for spacing/breathing) work WAY better than proper winter gloves - making them wearable bar mitts.

For 50F+ Gore windstopper unlined or densely knit (eg defeet).
Old 03-16-20, 11:13 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by berner
FYI. Their stores are closed, and they're offering free shipping on all orders until they reopen.
Old 03-16-20, 03:41 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I found out they are closed when I had hoped to buy trail shoes today. Glad I checked the website first and saved a trip.