Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake lever pulls too far

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 05:19 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

Wife’s bike I assembled after shipping to our home, got everything pretty well ironed out but this one item bugs me as I’m a little obsessive compulsive

SRAM rival 1 brake levers, mechanical. Spyre C mechanical disks.

see per pic, I can almost pull the lever all they way to the bars. Brakes actually work fine gripping rotor. . How can I adjust this so the “throw” of the lever is shorter and further away?

Old 04-09-20, 05:52 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
I'm guessing you just need to set the pads closer. 2 options here starting at 3:40 mins. Also gives you full setup info from the beginning if the pads aren't even. https://www.google.com/search?q=spyr...uotQX7i7SoCg34
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-09-20, 06:02 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Are the brakes and brake levers compatible? Road disc brakes use "short pull" levers like caliper and cantilever brakes. MTB disc brakes require "long pull" levers like V-brakes. If you have short pull levers but your brakes are designed for long pull levers you will get just what you are experiencing.
Old 04-09-20, 06:03 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I have Rival 1 with hydraulic brakes, so I am not sure yours will be the same. On mine there is an allen screw under the brake lever that adjusts the throw of the lever and allows you to move it closer to the bar for short hands. After this you also need to adjust the throw on the inside (left side) of the shift lever so it does not rub on the brake lever.
If your is the same, but with mechanical brakes you may still need to adjust them as Crankycrank suggested above.
Old 04-09-20, 06:21 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Spyres. After checking the pads aren't worn out of course....First thing to check. When you start moving the lever does the lever on the caliper start moving straight away? If so all good, if not, tighten the cable. If the caliper lever moves more than about 8mm or so before the brakes bite (which it probably will) then the pads should be adjusted. You'll need a reasonably long 3mm allen key (to get through the spokes on the wheel side of the caliper) . Adjust each side evenly until the pads just touch the discs then back off a little bit. The adjustment is fairly coarse so just small fractions of a turn will do the trick. If you want to be fancy center the caliper. Loosen the the 2 caliper bolts a bit, squeeze the brake levers and then tighten the bolts while holding the lever. Check and re-adjust the pads if there any drag. If you really want to be fancy you can reset the centering completely. Loosen the mounting bolts until the caliper can just move. Screw the pad adjusters all the way out. Then screw them in equally bit by bit until they touch the disc. Squeeze the lever and tighten the mounting bolts. Then adjust the pads out until they don't drag. Looking down on the pads and disc, when you squeeze the lever, make sure the disc isn't pushed one way or the other by the pads. If it is, recenter it again, each time the adjustment will be less and less.

Last edited by Trevtassie; 04-09-20 at 06:31 PM.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-09-20, 07:16 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Once you get everything adjusted ideally, if the brakes still feel spongy, a good compressionless housing will improve the feel and power, especially on a setup with a full cable housing run from lever to caliper.
Old 04-09-20, 07:48 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I have Rival 1 with hydraulic brakes, so I am not sure yours will be the same. On mine there is an allen screw under the brake lever that adjusts the throw of the lever and allows you to move it closer to the bar for short hands. After this you also need to adjust the throw on the inside (left side) of the shift lever so it does not rub on the brake lever.
If your is the same, but with mechanical brakes you may still need to adjust them as Crankycrank suggested above.
I know what your talking about as I had the hood covers off, I’ll cHeck that out.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 04-09-20 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 07:51 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by HillRider
Are the brakes and brake levers compatible? Road disc brakes use "short pull" levers like caliper and cantilever brakes. MTB disc brakes require "long pull" levers like V-brakes. If you have short pull levers but your brakes are designed for long pull levers you will get just what you are experiencing.

yes, compatable.. This is a stock Setup of a Kona Rove ST.
Old 04-09-20, 07:53 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Once you get everything adjusted ideally, if the brakes still feel spongy, a good compressionless housing will improve the feel and power, especially on a setup with a full cable housing run from lever to caliper.
i actually don’t know what a compressionless housing is! I’ll research it tho, thanks.
Old 04-09-20, 08:01 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Spyres. After checking the pads aren't worn out of course....First thing to check. When you start moving the lever does the lever on the caliper start moving straight away? If so all good, if not, tighten the cable. If the caliper lever moves more than about 8mm or so before the brakes bite (which it probably will) then the pads should be adjusted. You'll need a reasonably long 3mm allen key (to get through the spokes on the wheel side of the caliper) . Adjust each side evenly until the pads just touch the discs then back off a little bit. The adjustment is fairly coarse so just small fractions of a turn will do the trick. If you want to be fancy center the caliper. Loosen the the 2 caliper bolts a bit, squeeze the brake levers and then tighten the bolts while holding the lever. Check and re-adjust the pads if there any drag. If you really want to be fancy you can reset the centering completely. Loosen the mounting bolts until the caliper can just move. Screw the pad adjusters all the way out. Then screw them in equally bit by bit until they touch the disc. Squeeze the lever and tighten the mounting bolts. Then adjust the pads out until they don't drag. Looking down on the pads and disc, when you squeeze the lever, make sure the disc isn't pushed one way or the other by the pads. If it is, recenter it again, each time the adjustment will be less and less.
did this the other day and it all helped but I didn’t try your fancy way, Thanks!
Old 04-09-20, 08:37 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I know what your talking about as I had the hood covers off, I’ll cHeck that out.
On the hydraulic version these are visible from below and you don't need to peel the hoods back.