Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Source for Axiom pannier retainer cleats?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 09:11 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

My Axiom bags are retained, on the rack, by hooks, shock cord, and rotatable cleat. I can find replacement parts for everything except the cleat!

Anyone have a pair (bolt not necessary) or know where I can find them?
Old 04-13-20, 10:45 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Axiom seems to have next to zero parts support. Not good. You could try spares for Ortlieb bags that may be the same parts or can be fit to the Axiom mounting rails but not sure about that. https://ortliebusa.com/product-categ...service-items/ I believe the rail hooks on this page are also used on other mfrs. bags too so shop around.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-14-20, 07:57 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Alas, no help on the Ortlieb site (great resource, though). The "cleat" is a 3d trapezoid with hole in the middle. Wonder if a hardware store has an equivalent product?
Old 04-14-20, 08:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I highly doubt a hardware store would have the same part. What other device would use it and be common enough for the hardware distribution system to bother stocking it? Now one could make one from a material that they can carve/cut/file/grind/3D form. Do you have an example to copy from?

There are other methods to restrain the pannier bottom connection to a rack. Eclipse use to use a simple sleeve that a finger mounted to the rack mount would enter. Then a raised finger which would slide behind a rack strut and used a O ring like loop around the strut. Some have used Velcro strips th tie around the strut. Jandd has used woven nylon strips with ladder lock buckles and Velcro with a common hook (much like a bungee cord with a hook). Madden used a similar belt with hook running vertically from the top rack hooks to the rack's lower mount and ladder loops/buckles.

Does the lower attachment require mere bag flapping control or will it also need to contain vertical motion? I've made my own device too many years ago based on the Eclipse versions but these didn't need to control bag bounce off over bumps. Have you researched the various methods other companies use? I would look at the older designs which generally had less proprietary parts made for them. Andy
Old 04-15-20, 06:59 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Sorry I didn't make it clear, Andy. I'm trying to add a little reassurance at the top. I scrapped the Blackburn proprietary hardware, keeping only the bottom attachment, and replacing the top with two generic J hooks. Empty, the bags hold tight, but loaded... who knows? Not willing to test that.

Right now, in our insular world, am exploring options and versatility. Either set of bags can go front or back. With having a Topeak rear rack (dovetail rails) and MTX bag, the bag acts as a locking device for either set. Up front, the Axiom lowrider is perfect with the Axiom Storm Fronts and their simple locking cleat keeps them secure from a hard bounce. I could add that to the Blackburns IF I could find something similar. (After taking off and testing a cleat, last night, it would have to be a little longer).

If nothing avails, in the meantime, I will take your advice and offer to pay a friend with a 3d printer. Worst case scenario, the Axioms go front (bigger, waterproof, match system thus most secure) and the Blackburns go back (look better and are smaller, Topeak bag locks them down) trusting in the wisdom of putting 60% touring weight on front of bike.

As my bike does everything in a primarily urban setting, bag to rack versatility is relatively important to me.

Thanks, again, Andy.
Old 04-15-20, 02:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
The last word, that I have seen, is replacing the top rack hooks with "P" clamps. No way those bags will come off by choice, bumps or theft. Andy
Old 04-15-20, 03:29 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Have you tried contacting Axiom to see if they can get the cleat?
Old 04-15-20, 06:26 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The last word, that I have seen, is replacing the top rack hooks with "P" clamps. No way those bags will come off by choice, bumps or theft. Andy
True, but gonna pass on that and just use the smaller Blackburns in back.

Originally Posted by RGMN
Have you tried contacting Axiom to see if they can get the cleat?
Unfortunately the cleats will need to be longer to properly engage... it was a good thought, though....
Old 04-17-20, 08:03 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Did a five bag run (I'm guessing 30 miles total) from North Decatur, through and just past Stone Mountain park, for bottled water (24 x 500 ml). Axioms, up front, 7 bottles each, a little over 15 lbs. Blackburns, in rear, 4 bottles each, and 2 bottles in the Topeak on top of the rack, for 11 lbs. Did not want to "stuff" any bag too tightly on the maiden voyage, so played loose with percentages.

Even at about 40 mph, all bags performed well and steering was absolutely STABLE.

I have a few hardware additions, just because, but I think I've nearly reached Nirvana for my bike expectations