Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Using Strava routes from people I follow and creating my own routes

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 06:14 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

most routes i find are thru Strava, simply just downloading routes i see there from people i follow on there. i then upload that route/file to my Komoot account which then connects to my Wahoo Bolt. what do you all do as far as building your own routes? do you have a better, easier system? Thx..
Old 05-19-20, 07:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
The only time I ever use Strava is for heat maps.
Old 05-19-20, 07:30 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
RideWithGPS is by far the best route planning software I have found. I have had a paid subscription for so long that I don’t know what route planning is free and what is included, but I can download turn-by-turn directions to My GPS with RWGPS.

Strava is changing their services significantly, and their route planning is next to useless.

Edit: Poking around, I see that with RWGPS, you can also plan routes on Open Street Maps, which seems to have a ton of data for Europe, and appears to have many cycletracks in Prague.

Another service that I love is offline maps. You can download maps to your phone for the area you are riding if you know that cell service will be spotty. It makes a great backup to the GPS.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 05-19-20 at 07:45 AM.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-19-20, 12:57 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Heat maps are invaluable.

I like to make my own maps with "off road" connections. Sometimes I can go to google street view to see if my connection is ridable. And, often Strava heat maps I can see if other people have made a connector there.

If you build your own route in Strava, you can turn on both satellite and heat map views and get creative.
Old 05-20-20, 06:23 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I find a lot of great rides on 'Ride with GPS', and is where I build my ride routes.
To find routs; I 1st look for rides already published to 'Ride with GPS', with keyword "gravel".
Like you, I reverse-engineer rides I see posted in Strava; or look for a segment in a target area, and find routes that used that segment off the leader boards.
I also have downloaded .pdf county road maps, which often tell which roads are paved or not. I double check things with Google Earth as I build routes.

Half the battle for me is finding a decent place to leave my car...
Old 05-20-20, 08:16 PM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
RideWithGPS is by far the best route planning software I have found. I have had a paid subscription for so long that I don’t know what route planning is free and what is included, but I can download turn-by-turn directions to My GPS with RWGPS.

Strava is changing their services significantly, and their route planning is next to useless.

Edit: Poking around, I see that with RWGPS, you can also plan routes on Open Street Maps, which seems to have a ton of data for Europe, and appears to have many cycletracks in Prague.

Another service that I love is offline maps. You can download maps to your phone for the area you are riding if you know that cell service will be spotty. It makes a great backup to the GPS.
great. thank you for the useful information!
Old 05-21-20, 10:18 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, if you are looking for gravel - this map has lots of routes: https://gravelmap.com/
Old 05-22-20, 02:15 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have mapped over 2,000 miles of gravel roues in PA and my main tool is ridewithgps. I use the phone app to navigate with also. It is excellent. I use it every week. I despise the lack od privacy in Strava as they just make money on the hard work I do in creating routes.