Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't put a 2x on this frame??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't put a 2x on this frame??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 01:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Did you get lost? No one mentioned Campy in this thread, so how did you stumble across it?
Old 06-04-20, 01:20 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I regularly do big climbing days on my 1X bike, with a 44T in the front. Honestly, 44-32 is enough for 90% of rides, 44-36 gets another 5%, and the rest is met with 44-42. I often go several rides in a row without using the 42T.
Unless you both ride similar terrain as the OP and have very similar physical ability, what works for you doesn't have much to do with what will work for them. Even relatively small differences in physical ability and gradient have significant consequences in terms of how a gear ratio will feel to pedal.

But I also don't believe there's some sort of magic sweet-spot cadence that I have to pedal at for every ride.
Most people who want tight ratios also don't believe that.

The purpose of tight ratios is to be able to fine-tune the torque and cadence that the legs want at any given moment, not to keep it equal all the time. It can facilitate the latter better than wide-spaced ratios, obviously, but that's not the point.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-04-20, 03:34 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Did you get lost? No one mentioned Campy in this thread, so how did you stumble across it?
Amazing response... but don't you have a tailwind or a delivery truck to chase in your quest for electronic bragging rights?

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Unless you both ride similar terrain as the OP and have very similar physical ability, what works for you doesn't have much to do with what will work for them. Even relatively small differences in physical ability and gradient have significant consequences in terms of how a gear ratio will feel to pedal.
Most people who want tight ratios also don't believe that.
The purpose of tight ratios is to be able to fine-tune the torque and cadence that the legs want at any given moment, not to keep it equal all the time. It can facilitate the latter better than wide-spaced ratios, obviously, but that's not the point.
This
Old 06-04-20, 11:23 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

It came out. Shifts fine. Used 4 bikes worth of housing.
​​​
Likes For showlow:
Old 06-05-20, 06:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
That looks a lot better than I'd have thought!
Old 06-05-20, 07:57 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If you want to get the ends of the cable tie flush, use a fingernail clipper to trim the ends. It makes a nice touch.
Likes For aggiegrads: