Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Official 4th of July - GMR / GRR thread

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Official 4th of July - GMR / GRR thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 08:53 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Well...glad my non-quality rider self didn't go. I opted out due to concerns about heat and fact none of my friends wanted to join me. My best time to shack is almost 1:30. I've only ridden to village 3 times but numerous to the shack. Despite my lack of climbing prowess I am quite self sufficient when-riding GMR/GRR and have never ran out of water or needed assistance. I have ridden solo as well to the village not in any organized group. Slow does not mean non-quality or incapable

My last time up I actually made it to shack w/o stopping at all to take a breather for a few seconds. That was a first for me.

Will get up there soon.

That is me in Yellow arriving at Shack my first time up GMR in 2012. BF Moderator @PhotoJoe (RIP) is looking back toward camera.
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 07-07-20, 02:52 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
So did you guys do it? The crowd was smaller than in previous years, but the quality of the riders was better. I'm an average climber (about 1 hour to the shack, a tad over 2 hours to the village) and usually I pass quite a few people up the hill. Not today though. Also, I didn't see people riding on the left (ooga-booga's advice obviously worked ) and I didn't see anybody dying for water on the side of the road. It looked like everybody knew what they were doing. Bummer I didn't see any of you guys.
Happy 4-th of July y'all!!!
I started in Rancho Cucamonga off of Baseline/Carnelian and arrived at Boulder Springs at around 7:45. Saw Rick from OC and headed up around 7:55 AM. Made the shack in about an hour and I saw you (Jimmy) as I approached the village. You were zooming past me and even thought I heard you scream something as you passed. Hard to miss the only person without a helmet. I was a little tired at the top so I decided to hang a right and come down Baldy Rd. to get me a bit closer to Rancho Cucamonga. Completed the ride with 48 miles. Probably my best ride up GMR/GRR. I will be going back up Saturday the 1st of Aug as l plan to get out there every four weeks. Still need to ride up Palomar with you guys, just not sure how the ride compares and would want to get up there with a little bit more fitness. Maybe in the Fall.

Last edited by Genaro; 07-07-20 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For Genaro:
Old 07-07-20, 04:49 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Hey Chinghis, that must've been me. We started around 7:35 from the high school. The guy in the Deutschland jersey is from my club (don't let the jersey fool you - he is a nice guy, just a crappy choice of an outfit ). I had a USA Cycling kit and no helmet - very easy to recognize. You must be a very strong rider if you could do this ride on a hybrid. Making it within 2 miles from the village means that you've done the toughest part.
Hey, thanks, I do OK. I felt good for the most part, but I did get a bit light-headed and cramped just a little on the second climb on the way out. Glad I turned around when I did, would have been a much longer day. I'm very happy I decided to dig out a Camelbak. I have found that it's really the only way I can stay hydrated. Went through one of those, and then emptied my two water bottles into it.

Oh, now I remember another thing - I think you said something to me about my mask as you passed, because I had a bandanna around my neck and pulled it up occasionally. Something about "I'm breathin' out my ass!", it was really funny (at the time, at least).

And, shhhh, she might hear you. She's a (old-school) mountain bike, not a hybrid! Although it pretty much qualifies as one these days, if you didn't bike back in the day. One guy passed me and said, "All right, beast-mode on the hybrid!" Another complimented my bar-ends. It was a funny day. And a fun day, all in all.

But it did point up to me all the inefficiencies of my bike. Might be time to dip my toe into the new bike waters ...
Old 07-07-20, 09:29 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Hey, thanks, I do OK. I felt good for the most part, but I did get a bit light-headed and cramped just a little on the second climb on the way out. Glad I turned around when I did, would have been a much longer day. I'm very happy I decided to dig out a Camelbak. I have found that it's really the only way I can stay hydrated. Went through one of those, and then emptied my two water bottles into it.

Oh, now I remember another thing - I think you said something to me about my mask as you passed, because I had a bandanna around my neck and pulled it up occasionally. Something about "I'm breathin' out my ass!", it was really funny (at the time, at least).

And, shhhh, she might hear you. She's a (old-school) mountain bike, not a hybrid! Although it pretty much qualifies as one these days, if you didn't bike back in the day. One guy passed me and said, "All right, beast-mode on the hybrid!" Another complimented my bar-ends. It was a funny day. And a fun day, all in all.

But it did point up to me all the inefficiencies of my bike. Might be time to dip my toe into the new bike waters ...
Yes, I remember you! And that's exactly what I said. Don't get me wrong - I always wear a mask when in public and indoors, but outside I think it's a bit of an overkill.
And yes - dip your toe into new bike water. You'll fly up that hill on a road bike.
Old 07-07-20, 09:33 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Originally Posted by Genaro
I started in Rancho Cucamonga off of Baseline/Carnelian and arrived at Boulder Springs at around 7:45. Saw Rick from OC and headed up around 7:55 AM. Made the shack in about an hour and I saw you (Jimmy) as I approached the village. You were zooming past me and even thought I heard you scream something as you passed. Hard to miss the only person without a helmet. I was a little tired at the top so I decided to hang a right and come down Baldy Rd. to get me a bit closer to Rancho Cucamonga. Completed the ride with 48 miles. Probably my best ride up GMR/GRR. I will be going back up Saturday the 1st of Aug as l plan to get out there every four weeks. Still need to ride up Palomar with you guys, just not sure how the ride compares and would want to get up there with a little bit more fitness. Maybe in the Fall.
Bummer I missed you Genaro! And I didn't see Rick, but I know he was there from Strava. That's quite of a ride you did. And wiser too, because it gives you a decent warm up before you hit GMR. I'll think about Aug 1. If the road is still closed, I may do it.
Old 07-07-20, 09:41 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Well...glad my non-quality rider self didn't go. I opted out due to concerns about heat and fact none of my friends wanted to join me. My best time to shack is almost 1:30. I've only ridden to village 3 times but numerous to the shack. Despite my lack of climbing prowess I am quite self sufficient when-riding GMR/GRR and have never ran out of water or needed assistance. I have ridden solo as well to the village not in any organized group. Slow does not mean non-quality or incapable

My last time up I actually made it to shack w/o stopping at all to take a breather for a few seconds. That was a first for me.

Will get up there soon.

That is me in Yellow arriving at Shack my first time up GMR in 2012. BF Moderator @PhotoJoe (RIP) is looking back toward camera.
Don't be so hard on yourself. I've never said that slow means non-quality or incapable. Cycling is a great sport for people of all levels of fitness and the last thing I'll ever do is to get arrogant with somebody who is slower than me. And inevitably, we all are getting older and slower. Running out of water is something that should never happen to anybody (and I think we agree on this one). Even a cat can ration his resources.
Now, riding on the yellow line like on this picture is a different story. Just out of curiosity - why do you ride there? And what do you recommend? Pass you on the right and risk that you'll panic and swerve into me, or pass you on the left and risk to get hit by somebody descending down the hill at 30+ mph.
Likes For JimmyNH:
Old 07-09-20, 05:10 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself. I've never said that slow means non-quality or incapable. Cycling is a great sport for people of all levels of fitness and the last thing I'll ever do is to get arrogant with somebody who is slower than me. And inevitably, we all are getting older and slower. Running out of water is something that should never happen to anybody (and I think we agree on this one). Even a cat can ration his resources.
Now, riding on the yellow line like on this picture is a different story. Just out of curiosity - why do you ride there? And what do you recommend? Pass you on the right and risk that you'll panic and swerve into me, or pass you on the left and risk to get hit by somebody descending down the hill at 30+ mph.
I don't typically ride in middle of road. I appreciate your concern. I was likely trying in this instance to not ride in the steeper inner section as I was rather tired on my first ride up GMR to the shack. I do listen for riders and cars approaching and move over as far right as practical to allow safe passing. In this particular instance the only rider near was PJ and former BF member Beanz who took photo. I am not a rider who panics when someone is near me on the road but if you call out I will move over as needed to let rider by.

Same day....see me by the white line.

I don't even panic when someone nearly takes me out despite my riding on the shoulder and they run up on my right. LOL This was from Cool Breeze last year (sadly it is not happening until next year. One of my favorite rides)
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 07-11-20, 11:24 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I will say, I like your jersey. Guess you weren’t wearing it in the YouTube video?! Or the guy can't read.

It's funny, on the GMR ride I was behind two guys, and one overlapped the other guy's wheel and nearly went down. I guess the third rider in their group was coming up behind me, and a half-mile conversation ensued about whether you always fall when you tap a wheel in front of you. As she passed, I said, “I probably would have!”

Last edited by Chinghis; 07-11-20 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Weird punctuation from IOS.
Old 07-11-20, 07:44 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I don't typically ride in middle of road. I appreciate your concern. I was likely trying in this instance to not ride in the steeper inner section as I was rather tired on my first ride up GMR to the shack. I do listen for riders and cars approaching and move over as far right as practical to allow safe passing. In this particular instance the only rider near was PJ and former BF member Beanz who took photo. I am not a rider who panics when someone is near me on the road but if you call out I will move over as needed to let rider by.

Same day....see me by the white line.

I don't even panic when someone nearly takes me out despite my riding on the shoulder and they run up on my right. LOL This was from Cool Breeze last year (sadly it is not happening until next year. One of my favorite rides)
Hey Beachgrad, you don't have to photo-proof it. I'm sure you are safe and considerate rider. For me, it is simply common sense to ride as far to the right as possible when I climb, and leave plenty of space to those who descend. Of course, you can ride wherever you please if (as you said) - you are aware of who is behind you and you've got good visibility of the road ahead of you. Unfortunately, too often I see guys who climb in the middle of the road, *****-buds in the ears, and completely unaware of their surroundings. When I yell "on your right", they usually freak out and move right into my path. Same when I'm descending and they are climbing: some will move to their right, but some move to their left (especially on GRR) or just keep riding in the middle.
I wonder where Beanz is. This forum was fun when he was around.
Likes For JimmyNH: