Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate in Gugifacazione ("this one goes to eleven")

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate in Gugifacazione ("this one goes to eleven")

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 11:30 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Don't get him started!
Stranger things have been done.

Old 07-21-20, 11:33 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Does that black thingy bolted to the rearmost (conventional position) derailleur hanger serve as a chain rest? Can you shift the chain onto it like you would a Nivex dropout?
Old 07-21-20, 11:38 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I was always intrigued by the Suntour S1 derailleur. I saw one one a commuter bikes about 20 years ago and wondered at its performance. The design, I think, was based on an old Nivex design. This Chain stay mounting would allow for a more enclosed chain guard than the usual derailleur set up. Did the shifting behave as well as normal Suntour shifting?
Old 07-22-20, 05:48 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Don't get him started!
The idea that this one is NOT full weird is interesting to consider.
Old 07-22-20, 06:47 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Does that black thingy bolted to the rearmost (conventional position) derailleur hanger serve as a chain rest? Can you shift the chain onto it like you would a Nivex dropout?
Yes, the black ear-shaped doodah is a chain rest. It is part of the original design (it came with the derailleur) and mounts to the derailleur mount on a standard forged dropout. But you cannot shift onto it; you have to put the chain on it manually before removing the wheel.
Old 07-22-20, 06:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by elcraft
I was always intrigued by the Suntour S1 derailleur. I saw one one a commuter bikes about 20 years ago and wondered at its performance. The design, I think, was based on an old Nivex design. This Chain stay mounting would allow for a more enclosed chain guard than the usual derailleur set up. Did the shifting behave as well as normal Suntour shifting?
Yes, that is a good point about an enclosed chain guard. I had not considered that.

The shifting is good, but not excellent. It doesn't downshift as quickly as you would want. A couple times it has failed to downshift when I'm approaching a steep hill, and once you start climbing it's a lot harder to downshift. I'm not sure whether this is thee fault of the chain and/or cassette, or it may be due to the derailleur. I suspect the cam indexing on the derailleur prevents the derailleur from overshifting-- and a little overshifting is nice for getting any derailleur to downshift.

Aside from that, the derailleur is not quiet.
Old 07-22-20, 03:59 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
In an ideal world, you would have a barrel adjuster for each side of the brake. Neither the Suntour nor the Tektro versions offer that feature, though. So if I had access to a machine shop, I would make my own. Come to think of it, I did run an M6x1.0 tap through the Tektro one I have on the front so there's a barrel adjuster there, and did something similar with the rear one. So my photo probably doesn't show it exactly as it came.
Every now and again Rick Hunter has his Nugz in stock. They would work here, I think: https://huntercycles.bigcartel.com/product/hunter-nugz

Edit: you've essentially got that on the rear.
Old 07-22-20, 05:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The ultimate in Gugifacazione ("this one goes to eleven") Reply Subscribed

I keep seeing "this one goes to eleven". I had to look at my guitar amps to see how high they go. The solid states - 10. But the tube amps (and synthesized tube amp) all go to 12. (Well the grand dad only is labeled to 11 but goes another full amount to "MAX" And at 40 watts and 3 10" speakers, yeah, a full 12 in anybody's book.)

And in line with C & V, the smallest amp is a custom build, hand wired, tube and Weber AlNiCo speakers. Middle amp is a Roland Blues Cube, solid state with tube characteristics, Grand dad a Victorilux. Hand-built classic though not a copy of anything. A little like a Bassman. (And a chance find. Last tube amp at a local music store when the owner retired. Played through it into the empty showroom and it was wow! Looked it up that evening, Nope, I'll never see that price again.)

Blue harmonica, my other love. Goes back nearly as far. I've recently gotten into n+10.

Ben
Old 07-22-20, 05:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
But of course we should all know that it's a reference to a line in This Is Spinal Tap.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-20, 07:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Every now and again Rick Hunter has his Nugz in stock. They would work here, I think: https://huntercycles.bigcartel.com/product/hunter-nugz

Edit: you've essentially got that on the rear.
Right, that's the thing I like about these Kore cantilever brakes. I suspect they're made in the same factory as Tektro brakes. But I still needed a barrel adjuster on the power lever side so I could fine tune the setup. I cobbled something together.....

Those Nugs definitely look nicer than my home brew solution. They must be very nice indeed to consistently sell out at $30!
Old 07-22-20, 07:47 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Those Nugs definitely look nicer than my home brew solution. They must be very nice indeed to consistently sell out at $30!
Rick's stuff is super nice. Whenever he gets fabrication done or orders in, stuff sells. He's a really interesting guy ... did a lot of mtb frame experimentation in the early 90s. Some of it was just plain weird, but very interesting to look at. His fabrication skills are amazing.

These hip shooters are pricey, too: https://huntercycles.bigcartel.com/p...r-hip-shooters I bet they do the job!
Old 10-21-20, 06:23 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by rhm
Well, I haven't got this derailleur anywhere near silent. It makes a noise like a well oiled machine; but my other bikes are quieter. I'm not convinced anything is wrong, maladjusted or otherwise. But it's still a noisy derailleur. It shifts promptly and smoothly, and rarely ghost shifts. It's a good derailleur. I won't call it great; but definitely good.
And it feels robust. Let's give this thing five or ten thousand miles and I'll get back to you.
Well it hasn't been any ten thousand miles, but I no longer hear that derailleur at all. It's not that I've learned to ignore it, or that the sound just doesn't bother me anymore. I think the derailleur actually quieted down. Teething, maybe. Shifting has gotten smoother as well. Perhaps I'm just more comfortable with how to shift it, but the shifting is no more difficult than any other indexed derailleur.
Old 10-22-20, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
So it was noisy when not shifting? Does that mean the chain against the pulleys made the noise?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.