Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Groupset update calendar

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 03:09 PM
Roobz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Good evening all

looking at buying a groupset and was wondering if anybody knew the release schedule of Shimano groupsets?

do they refresh them on a predictable calendar the way other company’s do? like apple with iPhone every September. Do Shimano update/refresh every say 3 years? 5 years? do they refresh the whole hierarchy in one go or trickle out improvements one groupset at a time?

as I’m still interested in upgrading mine I was wondering if there was a refresh overdue so it was worth waiting another year. Or whatever.

cheers

Rich
Old 07-22-20, 09:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Given the current pandemic and bike shortages I suspect the production of new groups will be going to OEM builders. Andy
Old 07-22-20, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Roobz
Good evening all

looking at buying a groupset and was wondering if anybody knew the release schedule of Shimano groupsets?

do they refresh them on a predictable calendar the way other company’s do? like apple with iPhone every September. Do Shimano update/refresh every say 3 years? 5 years? do they refresh the whole hierarchy in one go or trickle out improvements one groupset at a time?

as I’m still interested in upgrading mine I was wondering if there was a refresh overdue so it was worth waiting another year. Or whatever.

cheers

Rich
What are you looking for in a groupset? Typically you see the top three updated every 3 or so years and then it eventually trickles down but honestly what is out is pretty darn good. I wouldn't really hold my breath unless there was something I truly needed that didn't exist yet. 11 speed is still quite relevant no matter who is gone 12 speed.
Old 07-22-20, 11:16 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
It seems to me that they tend to iterate new major design changes one groupset level down approximately annually.

High end MTB stuff was significantly upgraded pretty recently so there's probably not going to be major updates from the XTR through Deore levels in the very near future, except for possibly a 12sp Di2 version of XTR.

If I were betting, I'd bet on a 12 speed Dura Ace in the relatively near future, possibly with relatively fast trickle down to Ultegra and maybe 105. Claris and Tiagra also haven't been updated in a while (they're not on the new Rxxxx naming scheme), but I'm not sure what they'd do to change them without updating the higher end groups first. Also a 105-level Di2 doesn't sound totally ludicrous.
Likes For cpach:
Old 07-23-20, 07:03 AM
Roobz

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
It seems to me that they tend to iterate new major design changes one groupset level down approximately annually.

High end MTB stuff was significantly upgraded pretty recently so there's probably not going to be major updates from the XTR through Deore levels in the very near future, except for possibly a 12sp Di2 version of XTR.

If I were betting, I'd bet on a 12 speed Dura Ace in the relatively near future, possibly with relatively fast trickle down to Ultegra and maybe 105. Claris and Tiagra also haven't been updated in a while (they're not on the new Rxxxx naming scheme), but I'm not sure what they'd do to change them without updating the higher end groups first. Also a 105-level Di2 doesn't sound totally ludicrous.

thanks for this insight, I agree with your predictions too, going electronic and 12 speed is inevitable
Old 07-23-20, 07:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
If one waits for the next offering one never gets anything. The bike business is always going to be hyping the stuff that's about to be available. A friend told me years ago (about stereos, remember them?) "buy the best you can afford then put on your blinders because in 6 months some better stuff will come out. be happy with the stuff in hand." Andy
Old 07-23-20, 08:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If one waits for the next offering one never gets anything. The bike business is always going to be hyping the stuff that's about to be available. A friend told me years ago (about stereos, remember them?) "buy the best you can afford then put on your blinders because in 6 months some better stuff will come out. be happy with the stuff in hand." Andy
Yep. Buy whatever you need to get a working bike, and then go ride that bike.
Old 07-23-20, 08:32 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If you want the latest and greatest from Shimano you will have to buy their most expensive component groups. New tech trickles down to the lower end groups year by year
Old 07-23-20, 08:56 AM
Roobz

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

this is how I operate too Andy, il always buy the best I can afford but given the luxury of having the time to wait. it’s always best to wait for the latest release.
hence why my original question was about the sort of time frames shimano operate on and if they have a regular predictable release calendar . like most other companies.

I see the R7000 105 groupset was unveiled in 2018, available to buy In 2019. Is it safe to assume they won’t refresh for 2 more years? is there a pattern at all? or is it all just random?
Old 07-23-20, 09:15 AM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I can't post links yet, but if you go to the Wikipedia page for Shimano, and then click on "Road Groupsets" in the table of contents, it'll take you to a timeline of releases. There appears to be a four-year cycle for each individual "family" (Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc.)

The most recent Dura-Ace upgrade was 2016 (R91XX), so we're probably due for the next generation (92XX?) in the very near future (although COVID may mess with this)

Then Ultegra was updated in 2017 (R80XX), so maybe 2021 for the next version? Likewise, 105 was updated in 2018 (R70XX), so we're probably two years away from a 105 update.

If you want Dura-Ace, you might kick yourself if you bought right now, because it's the next family that's due for an update and it might not be that far off. Other than that, I'd buy what you want now since there's still a while before any likely updates on the other lines.
Old 07-23-20, 09:18 AM
Roobz

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I can't post links yet, but if you go to the Wikipedia page for Shimano, and then click on "Road Groupsets" in the table of contents, it'll take you to a timeline of releases. There appears to be a four-year cycle for each individual "family" (Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc.)

The most recent Dura-Ace upgrade was 2016 (R91XX), so we're probably due for the next generation (92XX?) in the very near future (although COVID may mess with this)

Then Ultegra was updated in 2017 (R80XX), so maybe 2021 for the next version? Likewise, 105 was updated in 2018 (R70XX), so we're probably two years away from a 105 update.

If you want Dura-Ace, you might kick yourself if you bought right now, because it's the next family that's due for an update and it might not be that far off. Other than that, I'd buy what you want now since there's still a while before any likely updates on the other lines.
I couldn’t ask for a better response to my question. that info is exactly what I’m looking for.

thank you Scott

Rich
Old 07-23-20, 02:05 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Once a new groupset is released it will take 4-8 months for it to trickle down into the retail market, and
sometimes longer for subspecialty items. Eg the Ultegra Di2 disc brifters were particularly hard to get for
about 8-9 months after the announcement of same as part of the 8000 series rollout where the rest of the
groupo was out in summer the brifters trickled out 3 months later. Of course if you buy groupos by the
container bulk pak (ie no individually packed retail boxes), you are in another category.
Old 07-23-20, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Given the current pandemic and bike shortages I suspect the production of new groups will be going to OEM builders. Andy
Meaning; You'll get the latest stuff sooner , buying a new bike.

When they had bike industry trade shows, they were end of the summer, showing next year's stuff...
Old 07-23-20, 11:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If you want the latest and greatest from Shimano you will have to buy their most expensive component groups. New tech trickles down to the lower end groups year by year
Except that one time that Ultegra Di2 was a significant redesign and left Dura Ace weirdly incompatible with all sucessive Di2 products.
Oh, and the weird (and inferior) cable actuation ratio on early indexing Dura Ace compared to everything else.