Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Old 07-24-20, 10:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
You play pro level golf, except that you lose your ball a lot??
​​​​​​Both of them.
Old 07-24-20, 10:59 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Well, they are attempting to be a lifestyle brand. I can't get past the armband myself. WTF? Is that like Michael Jackson's glove? On the other hand, the armband is a great way to establish a marker/informal logo without having to plaster Rapha in big letters. No different than the Nike Swoosh. Pretty good idea from a marketing standpoint.
I like the armband - it looks sharp from a design point of view - dont have any Rapha jerseys yet but plan to get 1-2 . Funnily, even though i abhor wearing clothes with Stuff Written On Them, I do like the pink Rapha tee as well.

Objectively speaking, the kit looks good.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-24-20, 11:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
At the risk of taking the troll bate, I’ve played competitive golf, albeit way below a pro level. You’ve got 5 minutes to find a lost ball. Having a gallery and tv cameras will reduce the chances of not finding a lost ball. At best that advantage might be worth a stroke a round or so.

Thus, giving me a stroke a round from avoiding lost ball penalties, might move my handicap from 9 to 8; l’m still about 10 strokes a round from beating John Rahm.
If you move to an 8 and play him 20 times, you will lose by an average of 20 strokes...at least.
And that's regardless of if you two play your local course or any random tour course.

In a prior life I was scratch and played with some locals who were at the time clawing to sustain on mini tours. The differences were night and day even at those closer comps.

I'm not knocking you, I'm just pointing out how absurdly good tour players are, and then the elite of them are in yet another tier.
An 8 at a home course with a 72 rating is gonna shoot 90+ over and again on a tour course.
Old 07-25-20, 06:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
At the risk of taking the troll bate, I’ve played competitive golf, albeit way below a pro level. You’ve got 5 minutes to find a lost ball. Having a gallery and tv cameras will reduce the chances of not finding a lost ball. At best that advantage might be worth a stroke a round or so.

Thus, giving me a stroke a round from avoiding lost ball penalties, might move my handicap from 9 to 8; l’m still about 10 strokes a round from beating John Rahm.
Yeah.. it wasn't really meant seriously. Though I've lost up to 10 balls in a round.. mainly because of hitting into woods or that tall grass stuff on links style courses or those desert type courses where I worry about snakes. Usually I'd take 2 strokes per lost ball since I don't typically want to go all the way back to the tee to hit another one = 20 strokes.
Old 07-25-20, 10:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You know who else liked digital watches?

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-25-20, 10:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Both of them.

I don't play golf, but that sounds like a pro cyclist who would win road races but for getting lost off the courses.
Old 07-26-20, 06:33 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Ok, I'll jump into this pissing contest. I do own some Rapha stuff, Cargo Bib tights, Bib knickers in winter weight, bib shorts, wind front jersey short sleeve and long sleeve, base layer and a few pair of cloves. All bought at end of season close out prices through their web site or Chain Reaction. It is all well made stuff, fits well, wears well, and performs well. Yes there is a cool hipster blig that goes with them but while wearing any manufacturer, Rapha, Assos, Pearl, or what ever, you can't see the logo or how the product looks, just how it feels. I would say that the wind front jerseys and base layers are exceptional. The bib tights, knickers and shorts are very good, but not quite as comfortable as Assos, but close. Fit and comfort of any product is a personal thing. I had a problem with their gloves tearing apart. I was obviously disappointed and wrote to them to ask what to do. At first they said that because I purchased them via Chain Reaction and not directly through Rapha, they would not honor a replacement. I balked at this and they responded with an apology and a code to purchase what ever I wanted in the equal amount to the gloves. So I don't have negative things to say about Rapha. I suppose the negative comments could be also leveled to a number of bike frames as well, being over priced or over blinged, both often true.
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 07-26-20, 06:44 AM
Catsharp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Their videos seem excellent, to me. Really capture the mood, generally understated, realistic for what they are trying to convey, terrific scenery, great panoramic shots and close-ups, etc. I could watch several times over. Haven't worn Rapha, (prefer sleeveless jerseys for when its hot) but would check out their stuff for sure now.
Old 07-26-20, 07:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I like the armband - it looks sharp from a design point of view - dont have any Rapha jerseys yet but plan to get 1-2 . Funnily, even though i abhor wearing clothes with Stuff Written On Them, I do like the pink Rapha tee as well.

Objectively speaking, the kit looks good.
It's funny, it's exactly the armband that turns me off, for reasons I suggested earlier (ie. armband suggests club membership, in this case it's a fashion club). Unfortunately IMO, and curiously, the armband appears on all of their jerseys except their highest end "pro team" jerseys (ie. probably a fit that I can't get away with, and approx. $200 for a shortsleeve jersey is a bit much).

OTOH, I do like their off-bike casual wear - their polos, jackets, hoodies and tees, etc. No armbands on this stuff.
Old 07-26-20, 07:41 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Because they describe themselves as The World’s Finest Cycling Clothing

« https://www.rapha.cc
Rapha: The World's Finest Cycling Clothing and Accessories.
ADVENTURE ON YOUR DOORSTEP. Three friends of Rapha discover new roads closer to home. Shop Explore Watch the film. Video Player is loading. »
Old 07-26-20, 07:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's funny, it's exactly the armband that turns me off, for reasons I suggested earlier (ie. armband suggests club membership, in this case it's a fashion club). Unfortunately IMO, and curiously, the armband appears on all of their jerseys except their highest end "pro team" jerseys (ie. probably a fit that I can't get away with, and approx. $200 for a shortsleeve jersey is a bit much).

OTOH, I do like their off-bike casual wear - their polos, jackets, hoodies and tees, etc. No armbands on this stuff.
Previous Core jerseys didn't have the armband, or rather, they did, but it was so subtle that they might as well have not been there. Most Rapha customers seem to to be happy that they're now included on their entry-level gear. FWIW, if you're not fond of the armband, there's not a lot of armband contrast with the Core Jersey in either Light Gray or Off-White.

Oh, and a lot of their casual stuff has had armbands, but they're, again, sometimes more subtle - I have a couple merino sweaters, both have arm bands, but one is very low contrast. Many shirts have armbands that are of the same material/color as the rest of the garment, so it's just the stitching of the panel that comprises the armband.
Old 07-26-20, 10:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

I had a look at their "Core" line, because I'm looking for a nice, plain snug but not skintight white jersey with a full zip, and on white, even though it's there, you can't see it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-20, 11:31 AM
surfbgull

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least, that's what my wife calls it!
Old 07-27-20, 11:38 AM
Sakkitfan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Rapha

I tend to be a form follows function type of guy. I wear Assos bib shorts/knickers or tights. Like Rapha, Assos ain't cheap but after 50 miles on the bike, the extra coin tends to disappear. Many list members have already stated that if the look is for you, go with it. BTW, where are the bulk of Rapha products made? Italy? Romania?, China? Southeast Asia?
Old 07-27-20, 11:48 AM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Because all the hot chicks whistle at me when I ride by with my Rapha gear on. Chicks dig it. Seriously, I knew it was overpriced when I met an attorney riding in full Rapha gear who thought he was the ****. Since then I have been tainted about Rapha gear.
Likes For saddlesniffer:
Old 07-27-20, 12:35 PM
surfbgull

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend recently connected me to Classic Cycling (classiccycling.com) here in NC and suggested I try out their Hors Category bibs. That's definitely the most important component of cycling kit for me, so I gave it a try. Unbelievable. I've tried Specialized SL, Castelli Free Aero and Rapha - for comfort and energy on rides over 35 miles, all of these are fantastic. I have to say, though - that the comfort and quality of Classic Cycling is really a step up. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.
Old 07-27-20, 12:40 PM
WhyFi

Brrrr - did it just get shilly in here, or is it just me?
Old 07-27-20, 12:43 PM
akod

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's Euro...

Playing a lot of soccer, it's been all "kit, kit, kit" for a log time. Seems like the Euro-phrase "kit" (was always there in European cycling, with friends in the UK and Italy) migrated over to cycling only in the past 6-7 years here in the US. Beats me!

Originally Posted by prj71
Your buddies were right. It is overpriced.

And why do we have to say "cycling kit". Hate that. How about just saying jersey and shorts?

Do you get up in the morning and get dressed for work and say that you are putting on your work kit?
Old 07-27-20, 02:03 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Rapha

I picked up a pair of their long, pro bibs last season because I had a coupon from some Strava challenge for a significant discount. They are easily the most comfortable bib I’ve owned and they’re my go to if I have a long day planned.

I would have never dropped the full retail price on a pair of these prior. I will buy these bibs again because they are that comfortable but only because of the function they serve. I still wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a jersey or something that doesn’t impact comfort as much.
Old 07-27-20, 02:53 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RefRick
I picked up a pair of their long, pro bibs last season because I had a coupon from some Strava challenge for a significant discount.
Do you remember what that challenge was? I'd love to get in on that action. I do have a Festive500 roundel from one of their Strava challenges, but that's a far cry from a discount.
Old 07-27-20, 02:55 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you remember what that challenge was? I'd love to get in on that action. I do have a Festive500 roundel from one of their Strava challenges, but that's a far cry from a discount.
Unfortunately I do not remember. Sorry.
Old 07-27-20, 08:52 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesniffer
Seriously, I knew it was overpriced when I met an attorney riding in full Rapha gear who thought he was the ****.
I havent let banal stereotypes involving others over-ride my own preferences since high school at the latest.

Re this apocryphal attorney - I am curious as to why you stopped at just the kit? Why didnt you stop wearing the same shoes, the same helmet, the same sunglasses that he was wearing? What car was he driving, what bike did he have - have you blacklisted those as well?
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-28-20, 12:27 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I am so frugal that it embarasses me to be seen in an expensive car, even as a passenger. It just goes against who I am. Anyway, my son stopped in the SF Rapha store one day and I was telling the guy there I would never spend that kind of money on clothes. All my $$ goes to vintage bikes, frames, wheels, parts. He could not relate to me at all.

Fast forward two years and my son buys me a Rapha jersey/jacket for xmas. I had to laugh because at 5'10" and 135ish I have to buy small in everything. Well, the small he bought me was way too small, the medium he exchanged it for, still too small, so I'm wearing large for the first time and it fits me perfectly. All that is kind of extraneous to my main point however - this was the best piece of cycling kit I have ever owned in almost 50 years of cycling. Everything about it, the design, the fit, the material, the color, the style, everything. Never would have bought it myself, but I sure love wearing it.
Likes For sunburst:
Old 07-28-20, 01:57 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
full disclosure...rapha bleep...i have two pairs of arm warmers, a neck gaiter, seven short sleeve merino wool base layers, four long sleeve merino wool base layers,
a winter jacket, four classic (different variations) jerseys, three lightweight jerseys, two core jerseys, one core lightweight jersey and one cap. no bottoms, socks or
"lifestyle" clothing. the arm warmers are solid but the elasticity/grip on the upper arm part lasts about a season. had the merino wool neck gaiter for approx 5 years and it's been indispensible.
if there is only one recommendation i could make for rapha, it would be with their merino wool baselayers. not inexpensive but (with proper care) fairly durable and super versatile.
jacket and jerseys have held up well...still have a few older (5+ years) lightweight jerseys performing nicely. bought the core stuff recently and really happy with it given the < $100 price tag.
the cap was pricey but comfy. love the cinelli caps program but the rapha cap doesn't leave the 4 hour post-ride cap line on your forehead.
been machine washing and line drying all items the last 9 years or so without issues.

used to be a castelli fan but found the zippers on multiple products across several price ranges suddenly undependable in the last decade. that plus i guess i prefer a more understated style now.
none of my older castelli stuff (in the last 5 years) survived.

i also like the demarchi and danny shane stuff as well and have purchased multiple items from both producers in the last three years and had good experiences with durability/wear/quality.
danny shane tends to run deals/discos fairly often.

the rapha stuff performs. have had to send in items/solicit pics for 6 items in need of repair in the last decade. they have never failed to either repair the item or offer a substantial credit
in lieu of irreplaceable/irreparable upper items (merino base layers don't apply).

my oldest rapha jersey (lightweight) is 9 years old and so is my oldest merino short sleeve base layer. both are still viable and perfectly functional. am i a little more careful with the
zipper (full zip) on the lightweight jersey? of course. have i purchased less expensive jerseys and base layers in the two decades i've been riding? yes.
have any of those items performed as well for as long as the rapha stuff? no. been pleased with the spend a little more, performs well and lasts longer aspects.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-28-20 at 02:10 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-28-20, 05:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by genejockey
I had a look at their "Core" line, because I'm looking for a nice, plain snug but not skintight white jersey with a full zip, and on white, even though it's there, you can't see it.
Actually that's a nice looking jersey.
As far as plain jerseys go, I've wanted to try out some of the Isadore brand stuff -- looks nice. I like the idea of their Woolight jersey for summer heat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.