Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

mismatched brakes

Old 08-01-20, 04:52 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
mismatched brakes

my nephew has a Marin Gestalt all road bike, i am going to send him some upgrade parts, thinking about the brakes. right now, he has Promax Render disc brakes. TRP HyRd would be a big improvement, but i'm pretty sure the rear triangle is too tight for the caliper.

has anyone setup up a bike with mismatch braking?

specifically, i'm thinking to pair a TRP HyRd front with TRP Spyre rear. the Spyre is not as good as HyRd but still an upgrade, i think, and he would still have a pretty good front brake, at least as stout as you can get with a cable disc. but i'm not sure about how they would feel at the lever, comparatively. personally, i need both levers to feel the same, so i assume everyone does and i don't want to make it weird for him.

any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-20, 04:55 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I believe shimano rim brakes are mismatched out of the box. The rear caliper has less mechanical advantage than the front and is therefore harder to lock. I bet 70% of riders who have these brakes don’t even realize it.
Old 08-01-20, 05:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I had Spyres front and rear and found them to be excellent. I don't know if the HY/RD has the adjustability of the Spyre to avoid rotor rub, FWIW.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-01-20, 05:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I believe shimano rim brakes are mismatched out of the box. The rear caliper has less mechanical advantage than the front and is therefore harder to lock. I bet 70% of riders who have these brakes don’t even realize it.
The 2006 Chorus brakes on one of my bikes are like that. The rear brake looks to be SINGLE pivot, versus the dual pivot front.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-20, 06:41 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kevrider
Yes. Like many Campagnolo riders, I use a dual pivot front brake with more mechanical advantage than my single pivot rear.

Campagnolo introduced "differential brakes" in 2001 so Record brakes could weigh less than Shimano Dura Ace. It's been the standard setup on the top 2-3 gruppos since then.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-02-20 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 06:57 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I guess I don't understand what you're trying to say about "feel the same at the lever". I have cable disk brakes and simply adjust them so they feel the same front and rear. Align the pads and set the adjustment for the pull distance on the lever that you like. The biggest improvement I found in braking ability was swapping out those stock pads for organic resin. They're quieter and offer a much improved stopping performance. They don't chew up your disk's as fast as the metal composite pads either. It's nice that you're taking an interest in your nephew's riding.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 08-01-20, 07:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
I don’t believe that is true now. I’m certain that it hasn’t been true in the past. There is nothing different mechanically between the front and back Shimano side pull or cantilever. There isn’t anything different dimensionally either. Rear brakes tend to be a little spongier than front brakes because of the longer cable run and cable housing but they don’t have to be.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-01-20, 07:33 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

my nephew has a Marin Gestalt all road bike, i am going to send him some upgrade parts, thinking about the brakes. right now, he has Promax Render disc brakes. TRP HyRd would be a big improvement, but i'm pretty sure the rear triangle is too tight for the caliper.

specifically, i'm thinking to pair a TRP HyRd front with TRP Spyre rear. the Spyre is not as good as HyRd but still an upgrade, i think, and he would still have a pretty good front brake, at least as stout as you can get with a cable disc. but i'm not sure about how they would feel at the lever, comparatively. personally, i need both levers to feel the same, so i assume everyone does and i don't want to make it weird for him.

I have mixed disc and linear brakes on a bike (see below) but those both pull similarly.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I’m not sure now a hydraulic...even a hybrid hydraulic like the TRP Hy/Rd...would match with mechanical brake. It might be hard to moderate both brakes the same.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-01-20, 07:39 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t believe that is true now. I’m certain that it hasn’t been true in the past. There is nothing different mechanically between the front and back Shimano side pull or cantilever. There isn’t anything different dimensionally either. Rear brakes tend to be a little spongier than front brakes because of the longer cable run and cable housing but they don’t have to be.
Hm. Based on my crappy measurements, it seems like the front (R7000) caliper has 1/8” longer arms than the rear. The difference isn’t massive.

Also the rear isn’t more spongy. It’s less spongy. It feels more stiff under braking, and there’s marginally more clearance between the pads and rim at the rear than the front.

I could be imagining all this but it seems like a very random thing to imagine.
Old 08-01-20, 10:19 PM
cyccommute 

Hm. Based on my crappy measurements, it seems like the front (R7000) caliper has 1/8” longer arms than the rear. The difference isn’t massive.

Also the rear isn’t more spongy. It’s less spongy. It feels more stiff under braking, and there’s marginally more clearance between the pads and rim at the rear than the front.

I could be imagining all this but it seems like a very random thing to imagine.
Clearance from pads to rims is based on cable tightness and is set by the mechanic or user. Shimano only lists one number for reach which is the measure from the pivot point on a side pull to the maximum possible distance on the brake pad. The pads can be adjusted up and down as needed but, again, that is set by the user or a mechanic. Generally, the frame and fork and the position of the attachment point of the brake set the position of the brake pads.

No other type of brake...Shimano or other brand, cantilever, linear or disc...detunes the rear brake nor even designates where the brake is to be used. In other words, there isn’t a front or rear cantilever, linear or disc brake caliper. Reduction of mechanical advantage would almost have to happen at the lever and if that were being done, there would need to be designated front and rear brakes for all brake systems.

Old 08-01-20, 10:37 PM
smashndash

Clearance from pads to rims is based on cable tightness and is set by the mechanic or user. Shimano only lists one number for reach which is the measure from the pivot point on a side pull to the maximum possible distance on the brake pad. The pads can be adjusted up and down as needed but, again, that is set by the user or a mechanic. Generally, the frame and fork and the position of the attachment point of the brake set the position of the brake pads.

No other type of brake...Shimano or other brand, cantilever, linear or disc...detunes the rear brake nor even designates where the brake is to be used. In other words, there isn’t a front or rear cantilever, linear or disc brake caliper. Reduction of mechanical advantage would almost have to happen at the lever and if that were being done, there would need to be designated front and rear brakes for all brake systems.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...rs-117080.html

R7000 has separate front and rear brake calipers...

And by arm length I don’t mean pivot to pad. I mean pivot to cable attachment point.

And the clearance depends on the cable setup, yes, but if the lever bottom-out point is the same left and right, then the clearance should be the same on both calipers.

I could still definitely be wrong. I’ve never seen anyone else mention the difference, and I don’t see any mention of front vs rear in the manual besides “Front brakes cannot be installed as rear brakes and vice versa.”

Regardless, my opinion is that a stronger front brake is not a problem.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-01-20 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 03:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Braking between front and rear is different enough you have to adapt to it anyway.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-02-20, 04:19 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
M900 XTR cantis had longer arms for front (fore) and shorter rears (aft); I believe these were the only ones by Shimano to do so. Other brakes did the same, Avid Tri Align come to mind.

Old 08-02-20, 04:29 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
The question seems to be whether the brakes should be the same model.

The answer is obviously no.

Front and rear braking is inherently "mismatched" functionally. You use them differently. They are never going to "feel the same".

The front and rear brakes of a "matched" set might not be constructed the same. But the don't typically seem to be.

You probably don't want them to work too differently.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-02-20 at 04:47 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-02-20, 04:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I think your braking habits would very quickly adapt to it, I find the braking characteristics vary a lot from bike to bike, and after about a couple test stops, I'm all set. A front and back mismatch, by design or otherwise, wouldn't be a problem for me as long as the front is the stronger one.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-02-20, 05:09 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts

R7000 has separate front and rear calipers.
Re: front and rear calipers - my experience suggests that this, most often, refers to the length of the mounting bolt.
For people wanting to put modern brakes on old bikes, there are after-market bolts one can buy to make the install easier.
The presumed front brake gets used as a rear, since the stubby bolt for the ”new” mounting method reaches through the average ”old” method brake bridge. Then the even stubbier bolt on the intended rear brake is replaced with a longer one that allows for the traditional, standard nut, through-mount of the front brake.
With that said, front double pivot and rear single pivot is not that unusual.
Not that this IMO makes it in any significant way a rear specific brake. It’s simply a brake nowadays primarily intended/expected to be used at the rear.
Some will happily use them at the front b/c they’re a tad lighter, b/c that was what they had, b/c the rider prefers the look, or b/c that was how some famous cyclist decades earlier rode. Or any number of other, less obvious reasons.
Re:R7000 - I know what ”reach” is for a caliper brake. But what is ”drop”?
Old 08-02-20, 07:44 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
I suspect the optimization process tends towards front and rear brake that are almost the same but not too strong.

If you make the rear "more effective", people will want the front to be the same. If you make rear "less effective", people will want it to be "better".
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-02-20, 08:35 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
MTBs in general have used mismatched brakes over time; starting with U/Rollercam rear + canti front, to V rear + front disc, to the current meta of running a smaller rear rotor, and even flat mount rear+post mount front. Now that I think of it, I ran a low profile rear canti (Dia Compe 987) with a mider profile canti (Ritchey WCS) up front in the early 90s. They were both cantis but one used cone wrenches for spring tension and the other used a tiny allen key; both ran the same pads. Some modern brakes like the Avid Ultimate allows one to change the profile.

As others have said, you will get used to it. But, I'd just run the best matched set I could to run the same pads f and r.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-02-20, 08:47 AM
cyccommute 

R7000 has separate front and rear brake calipers...
The way side calipers mount require different bolt lengths on front and rear. The front has to go through the fork crown while the rear has to go through the brake bridge. One is much longer than the other and requires a different bolt length. You can swap the bolts (not easily but it can be done) and use either in the other’s position.

And by arm length I don’t mean pivot to pad. I mean pivot to cable attachment point.
That’s not a dimension I’ve ever measured but I have a hard time believing that the distance is different. I’ve compared lots of sidepull front and rear brakes side-by-side and never noticed a difference in the mechanisms. There certainly isn’t a difference front and rear on other kinds of brakes for the most part.

And the clearance depends on the cable setup, yes, but if the lever bottom-out point is the same left and right, then the clearance should be the same on both calipers.
Again, that depends on the tightness of the cable and is variable.

I could still definitely be wrong. I’ve never seen anyone else mention the difference, and I don’t see any mention of front vs rear in the manual besides “Front brakes cannot be installed as rear brakes and vice versa.”
I found the same. The manual does state that the brake pads have a different direction (swapping them from one side to the other would fix that) and that the brakes use different internal parts...not that I can think of any parts on a brake that are “internal”. I still believe the difference is only the brake bolt.

Regardless, my opinion is that a stronger front brake is not a problem.
I wouldn’t argue any differently.

Old 08-02-20, 08:51 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
M900 XTR cantis had longer arms for front (fore) and shorter rears (aft); I believe these were the only ones by Shimano to do so. Other brakes did the same, Avid Tri Align come to mind.
Not many brakes have adopted that kind of set up. I suspect that there is little advantage to it and lots of manufacturing and distribution headaches.

Old 08-02-20, 04:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have Mafac tandem front cantilevers and their shorter Criterium rear ..

& TRP Hy Rd Front & Avid BB7 mountain rear & Avid speed dial brake levers for both..

It works .. physics of a decelerating mass , makes the front brake more effective anyhow..
Old 08-02-20, 05:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm going to be another voice telling you it's OK to be mis-matched. The braking capability is different between wheels anyway. I have three bikes that have one wheel with a disc brake and the other with a V-Brake and they work fine. Just be sure to get 2 road calipers or two mountain calipers, so the pull ratios both match and you can at least have matching levers on your handlebars.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-03-20, 09:59 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
my nephew has a Marin Gestalt all road bike, i am going to send him some upgrade parts, thinking about the brakes. right now, he has Promax Render disc brakes.

Suggestion -- if the bike has these brakes, im guessing its at the entry level parts spec. That doesn't mean its dangerous. Why not send him a premium set of pads for the stock brakes and spend the rest of the money you intended to spend on a nice hydration pack, and /or a few more pieces of cycling clothing ?
Old 08-03-20, 07:16 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Suggestion -- if the bike has these brakes, im guessing its at the entry level parts spec. That doesn't mean its dangerous. Why not send him a premium set of pads for the stock brakes and spend the rest of the money you intended to spend on a nice hydration pack, and /or a few more pieces of cycling clothing ?
I agree with the pads and the hydration pack, not the clothing so much. Maybe a rad style set of rotors in phosphorescent orange or green? Something to make the kid's bike stand out.
Old 08-03-20, 11:08 PM
Doug64

Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I use Paul cantilever brakes on 3 touring bikes. I use the Paul Retro brake on the front wheel and the Paul Touring brake on the rear. The front Retro brake arm is almost horizontal to the ground; and it has more stopping power than the Touring model used on the rear wheel. The Touring model's brake arm on the rear wheel is angled more, about 45 degrees to the ground. This is a good set up that is used in CX and works well for touring. The touring brake does not interfere with the panniers, and there is less chance of catching a leg on mounts and dismounts.

This combination work extremely well. Paul Retro on the front, and Paul Touring cantilever on the back wheel.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-04-20 at 12:10 PM.