Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hokkaido trip

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hokkaido trip

Old 08-01-20, 05:10 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Hokkaido trip

For those interested, next Wednesday we will go on a 3 week tour of Hokkaido, Japan. We usually post evening and morning photos of our wild camping sites on instagram: y.hojo
Likes For waddo:
Old 08-01-20, 07:16 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
have a nice "get away from it all" trip. Three weeks is a nice amount of time, long enough to get past that first week when we really start to feel stronger, and long enough that when you get back you feel like you've been gone ages from your regular world and had a proper adventure.

safe riding, and I expect one day we'll see a video of it
cheers from Canada
Old 08-01-20, 08:37 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Godspeed .
What bikes will you be riding ?
Which route ?
Old 08-02-20, 06:36 PM
waddo

Originally Posted by djb
have a nice "get away from it all" trip. Three weeks is a nice amount of time, long enough to get past that first week when we really start to feel stronger, and long enough that when you get back you feel like you've been gone ages from your regular world and had a proper adventure.

safe riding, and I expect one day we'll see a video of it
cheers from Canada
Yes I agree, three weeks is a nice time especially these days we are stuck in the house a LOT due to the virus. Not sure what to expect with Hokkaido so hope the video will be ok.
Old 08-02-20, 06:44 PM
waddo

Originally Posted by pakeboi
Godspeed .
What bikes will you be riding ?
Which route ?
We both have Surly LHT, wife with mousachio handlebars for easier braking. My routes are intricate and minutes planned over a couple of months, usually using mountain/country roads with little traffic. I also make the route based on places I want to visit: temples, shrines, historic/natural/hiking places and whenever possible abandoned buildings which will definitely feature in this trip.
Old 08-02-20, 07:32 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
My wife and I did a 3-week bike tour there for our honeymoon. Fantastic place to ride. Enjoy!
Old 08-02-20, 07:55 PM
waddo

I hope our experience echoes yours!
Old 08-02-20, 07:57 PM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by waddo
We both have Surly LHT, wife with mousachio handlebars for easier braking. My routes are intricate and minutes planned over a couple of months, usually using mountain/country roads with little traffic. I also make the route based on places I want to visit: temples, shrines, historic/natural/hiking places and whenever possible abandoned buildings which will definitely feature in this trip.
Which specific tires and size do you each run ?
Godspeed .
Old 08-02-20, 08:38 PM
waddo

Which specific tires and size do you each run ?
Godspeed .
Sorry I don't know much about bikes. All I can say is they are Schwalbe Marathon Plus and the wheel/rim size is the same as a stock LHT.
Old 08-02-20, 09:43 PM
pakeboi

Sorry I don't know much about bikes. All I can say is they are Schwalbe Marathon Plus and the wheel/rim size is the same as a stock LHT.
Thanks ; I was just curious as the LHT comes stock with either 26" or 700c depending on the frame size .
I'm thinking of getting the New Disc Trucker for my next cycle trip to Japan ; Setouchi and Shikoku .
Old 08-02-20, 10:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Yes I agree, three weeks is a nice time especially these days we are stuck in the house a LOT due to the virus. Not sure what to expect with Hokkaido so hope the video will be ok.
always enjoyable to watch, have a fun and safe trip.
Old 08-03-20, 12:40 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Hello waddo, I'm pretty sure I met you at Towada-ko last year in August. It was dusk and you were on your way back to your campsite with a stash of beers in hand. We chatted for 10-15 minutes about your bicycle tour and other things before parting ways. Fancy bumping into you here! We're heading to Hokkaido too in a few weeks for a five day trip. I'd prefer three weeks like you, but that's not a possibility for me so I'll take what I can get. Safe Covid-19 free travels!
Old 08-03-20, 01:37 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Plenty of abandoned buildings in Hokkaido! I always wondered how the police would be about a little urban ex. I had look in a few buildings, some were like they just switched out the lights and walked out, though I did notice that one 8 story hotel near Lake Toya had been bought by the Chinese and flattened, much to my disappointment, was going to have a proper look that trip, last time I looked it still had brochures from the '90s sitting on the counter.
I had a look in an abandoned hotel further on the mainland once, had everything there, even yukatas in the cupboards, but somebody had attacked the kitchen with an axe....
Old 08-03-20, 05:04 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I’m curious about your trip. I’ve lived in Taiwan for many years and have stealth camped quite a bit. Thought I’d give you some warnings which aren’t meant to freak you out. The most dangerous critter I deal with are tiger head bees aka Asian hornet. Removed a nest last week from the garden. They are aggressive. When I read “abandoned house“ I thought I’d better speak up. I’d advise camping in an enclosed free standing tent. Always use a light at night. Observe under eves because they like to build their nests out of the rain. Look around before setting up. (We once camped under a nest 10 meters overhead. They sent a scout.) Consider getting an allergy test to see if you're allergic. Keep an eye on the weather because it’s typhoon season. Looks like a great place to go.
Old 08-03-20, 05:11 AM
waddo

Originally Posted by meyers66
Hi I’m curious about your trip. I’ve lived in Taiwan for many years and have stealth camped quite a bit. Thought I’d give you some warnings which aren’t meant to freak you out. The most dangerous critter I deal with are tiger head bees aka Asian hornet. Removed a nest last week from the garden. They are aggressive. When I read “abandoned house“ I thought I’d better speak up. I’d advise camping in an enclosed free standing tent. Always use a light at night. Observe under eves because they like to build their nests out of the rain. Look around before setting up. (We once camped under a nest 10 meters overhead. They sent a scout.) Consider getting an allergy test to see if you're allergic. Keep an eye on the weather because it’s typhoon season. Looks like a great place to go.
Hi.
You misunderstand. We want to explore abandoned buildings, for example apartments and a school now derelict after a mine closed down. We don't want to camp in them! I have been wild camping for more than 40 years all over the world, so you don't need to worry! But thanks for taking the time to offer those warnings that offer cautionary advice to readers with less experience.
Old 08-03-20, 05:18 AM
waddo

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Plenty of abandoned buildings in Hokkaido! I always wondered how the police would be about a little urban ex. I had look in a few buildings, some were like they just switched out the lights and walked out, though I did notice that one 8 story hotel near Lake Toya had been bought by the Chinese and flattened, much to my disappointment, was going to have a proper look that trip, last time I looked it still had brochures from the '90s sitting on the counter.
I had a look in an abandoned hotel further on the mainland once, had everything there, even yukatas in the cupboards, but somebody had attacked the kitchen with an axe....
I haven't done a lot of urban exploring but what I have done I enjoyed very much. There is a hotel on Hachijojima island that must surely rank in the top 10 abandoned places in the world. We went there last year. If you want to see it, check my YouTube channel, "waddo." The video is called Hachijojima island, Japan: biking, hiking and camping. If you listen carefully you can even hear the ghostly playing of a broken piano from upstairs!
Old 08-03-20, 05:28 AM
waddo

Thanks ; I was just curious as the LHT comes stock with either 26" or 700c depending on the frame size .
I'm thinking of getting the New Disc Trucker for my next cycle trip to Japan ; Setouchi and Shikoku .
We have the old fashioned 26" wheels. This is my second steel framed bike, the previous I kept for about 15 years. The ride is so much smoother and there is something I just don't like about aluminium frames. As I am useless fixing bikes I stay away from disk brakes. I heard too many stories about squeaking and buckled disks etc. Though Japan is super mountainous and I always choose such routes, so disk brakes would actually be much better.

If you are new to Japan you may want to check some of my youtube vids. We have been to Shikoku touring three times. Channel name is waddo.
Old 08-03-20, 05:39 AM
waddo

Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Hello waddo, I'm pretty sure I met you at Towada-ko last year in August. It was dusk and you were on your way back to your campsite with a stash of beers in hand. We chatted for 10-15 minutes about your bicycle tour and other things before parting ways. Fancy bumping into you here! We're heading to Hokkaido too in a few weeks for a five day trip. I'd prefer three weeks like you, but that's not a possibility for me so I'll take what I can get. Safe Covid-19 free travels!
Haha indeed you did. We were chatting near the strange statue and our tent was hidden nearby. Yuki even remembered you are from Yokohama and said you went to the lake by car. I doubt we will meet in Hokkaido but what date will you arrive and where? Are you traveling by car?

If you are interested the video from last year is on Youtube. It was one of our best trips ever. Unfortunately I didn't point the camera at you so you are not in it!
Old 08-03-20, 06:32 AM
Kabuto

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Haha indeed you did. We were chatting near the strange statue and our tent was hidden nearby. Yuki even remembered you are from Yokohama and said you went to the lake by car. I doubt we will meet in Hokkaido but what date will you arrive and where? Are you traveling by car?

If you are interested the video from last year is on Youtube. It was one of our best trips ever. Unfortunately I didn't point the camera at you so you are not in it!
Chatting near the strange statue, tent hidden nearby... bingo! haha!!! small world indeed.

We'll be driving again in Hokkaido. I'd love to bike, but alas my wife has other ideas. Our entry/exit is Hakodate and we plan to stay somewhere near Toya-ko for four nights/five days from the 26th to 30th. I may take a bicycle with me for pottering around the lake, but that's probably the extend of any riding I'll manage to do. If you happen to be in the area on those dates, let me know!

Tohoku trip video on youtube... I'll check it out!
Old 08-03-20, 06:54 AM
waddo

Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Chatting near the strange statue, tent hidden nearby... bingo! haha!!! small world indeed.

We'll be driving again in Hokkaido. I'd love to bike, but alas my wife has other ideas. Our entry/exit is Hakodate and we plan to stay somewhere near Toya-ko for four nights/five days from the 26th to 30th. I may take a bicycle with me for pottering around the lake, but that's probably the extend of any riding I'll manage to do. If you happen to be in the area on those dates, let me know!

Tohoku trip video on youtube... I'll check it out!
Ah that's a shame. We will be returning basically when you arrive. We will visit Toyako around the 20th. I went there a long time ago with an ex-wife and a car rental. It's a fantastic lake. We will also ride around nearby Mt Yotiel which also looks pretty nice. I'm sure you will have a great time and maybe we will bump into each other some other summer!
Old 08-03-20, 08:39 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
When we cycled Hokkaido we ferried over to Rishiri aka ‘floating Fuji’ from just north of Wakkanai. I realize you’ve spent a lot of time planning your trip but, if you haven’t included it, I’d highly recommend the side trip to a Rishiri. The island is about 70 km. around and features excellent bike paths including this rather spectacular bike bridge:

but, whatever you do I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time there!

Although we have spectacular riding here in the Kootenays, I have to admit that I am envious of your trip. Stay safe and cautious of your health.

Last edited by Mountain Mitch; 08-03-20 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 03:26 AM
waddo

Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
When we cycled Hokkaido we ferried over to Rishiri aka ‘floating Fuji’ from just north of Wakkanai. I realize you’ve spent a lot of time planning your trip but, if you haven’t included it, I’d highly recommend the side trip to a Rishiri. The island is about 70 km. around and features excellent bike paths including this rather spectacular bike bridge:

but, whatever you do I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time there!

Although we have spectacular riding here in the Kootenays, I have to admit that I am envious of your trip. Stay safe and cautious of your health.
Yes I do have a Google Earth pin on Rishiri island and I was also reading about it. Really looks like a great place. Unfortunately it is too far and we don't have time. I am hoping we enjoy Hokkaido so that we can go there again and visit Rishiri and other places I already found but are too distant.
Old 08-04-20, 04:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
For those in US who can't get a Tourist Visa to go anywhere, now..

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/cycle/

Old 08-04-20, 05:15 PM
waddo

Those NHK shows are a total embarrassment. I find entertainment only in seeing how bad, dishonest, unethical and amateur they are. Not to blow my own trumpet but U think some of my more recent vids are way better.
Old 08-04-20, 06:04 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by meyers66
Dunno, grand total of maybe 5 months camping in Japan, from the mid to the north. Never seen a Murder Hornet yet.
Cookie Cutters, plenty in Hokkaido, like invisible flying leeches, you only know they are there when you look down and see a circle of skin missing and the blood running down your leg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.