Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Chrome - Rust Removal, Polish, and Waxing

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 07-19-20, 09:06 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts

Hello Friends,

I have recently begun restoring a 90s chrome GT, and had started to clean the chrome. I had never removed rust from chrome or polished/waxed before.

My first attempt was on the seat post. I used Bar Keepers Friend with fine Bronze Wool. This seemed to remove most of the rust, but a little remained in some pretty tough areas. I then went over and used Turtle Polish to polish the seat post. After, I used Turtle Wax to finish the job and protect in the future.

After all my effort however, I still find there’s small rust areas in some of the tough spots and some deeper scratches. After seeing all the amazing work on this forum, I was a tad disappointed in myself! However it was only my first time, and I am sure I could of spent more time with the Bronze wool and Bar Keepers Friend.

Do you all have any good tips and tricks for making chrome POP again? Maybe stating with a rougher wool and finding my way down to a fine wool? Maybe different products would work better? Maybe I am just lazy and didn’t spend enough caring time on this run? Any tips are appreciated!

Here’s my first attempt ever and maybe some comical material for the experts!

Not that bad (For a first timer!)

Deeper Scratches

Small pits of rust remain. I need to remove the sticker and go at this spot again.

GT CrMo Swag!
Old 07-22-20, 01:07 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Aluminum Foil and water.
Old 07-23-20, 05:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Its going to be temporary abatement, not removal , because the chrome is a thin plating on steel and the scratches went thru the plating..

"Rust Never Sleeps" Neil Young..
Old 07-23-20, 07:59 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Its going to be temporary abatement, not removal , because the chrome is a thin plating on steel and the scratches went thru the plating..

"Rust Never Sleeps" Neil Young..
Fortunately I live in the desert. Rust is not fond of our climate here! Not much upkeep needed fortunately, but always some required. It’ll give me something to do anyways
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 08-04-20, 02:20 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
After you remove it, wax it.
Old 08-07-20, 11:51 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I personally like doing citric acid baths. But to bring the shine back there are some polishes like Autosol that do a great job.
Old 09-30-20, 10:54 AM
sworley

Bikes: 2021 Kona Woo, 2015 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1994 Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, 1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia, 1985 Trek 720, 1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Evaporust works miracles for me if you can submerge the parts in a tub...