Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Tubless Racing and Winter Tires

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 09-04-19, 08:05 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Since both my training and racing wheels are now tubeless ready, and since I find tubeless ready wheels to be extremely difficult to change when fitted with clinchers, I figure I might as well go tubeless on both. For racing, the goal is obviously a faster tire (or more importantly for me, a better cornering tire -- like my old tubulars). For training, the attraction of tubeless is the lower risk of flats on those days when your hands are too numb to change a tire. I'm looking at the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance or GP5000TL for a race tire, maybe the Hutchison Fusion Five All Season for winter training. I'd appreciate your thoughts on these or any others.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-19, 10:41 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The GP5000 is amazing. Well, I moved from the 4-season, but it is faster, stickier, more comfortable, and tubeless. Has half the rolling resistance (or about 30 watts at 30mph). I like the schwalbe G-One in the winter - it is impressive in damp, wet, cold, and snow. Ya need clearance for that one though.
Old 10-23-19, 04:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I don't really ride outside in the winter anymore but gp5000 is the best tire I've ever ridden. Not a single flat for the whole spring / summer season.

The old schwalbe pro one lasted me a full winter and spring racing campaign in Seattle with no flats. I'm sure the new one is good too.
Old 10-24-19, 06:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Gp5k is great, but keep in mind they last *maybe* half as long as a Gp4k. Also they really won't give you any warning when at the traction limit, they're so sticky they don't drift a bit like gp4k's do. But I run them, and I love them. Just things to keep in mind.

RE: winter tires, I've always gone with gators. The only flats I've gotten with them have been metal debris related. They do roll very, very slowly though.