Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to riding in the cold rain?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 12-10-19, 02:54 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

riding in the pacific northwest is no fun this time of year. i'd like to stay in shape by doing a combination of running (for aerobic fitness) and squats (to retain strength in legs), as well as some core workouts. Is 1 hour of running generally equivalent to 1 hour of cycling? Also, suggestions for other workout combinations that can be more optimal? (don't have a smart trainer, don't want one. also, not trying to get into race shape, just want to maintain good general fitness)
Old 12-10-19, 08:29 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Do you have access to a gym? Erg rowing is legit. The proof is in the pudding - good rowers generally make good cyclists.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 12-10-19, 08:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Depends on if you want cycle specific fitness or general fitness. Running is fine. It's not 1:1 though on time. Check out the distances and times ratios for triathlon and you'll notice it's not. I'd say take the running slowly by adding time and intensity gradually.

You don't need a meter or fancy equipment to ride indoors. Toss on a GCN show workout and buy a used fluid trainer for $50 off Craigslist. Or Zwift.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-11-19, 11:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
In my running 10k days and training, I used 110 calories per mile. That seemed about right independent of the pace. For cycling I use 30 calories per mile. I am not sure that energy expended per mile is the right metric but I think it is indicative. So If you run 4 miles in 30 minutes, you would have to cycle 12 miles to expend the same energy. Level of effort is different. Although a 30 minute 12 mile time trial is pretty good.

With respect to the gym, I would suggest to add single leg presses and some jumping such as box jumps. One of the coaches I use suggests running up a hill and when you get to the top, do squat jumps.

As cyclists, our tendons and other infrastructure is not used to running and jumping so there is that to contend with.

As I remember you recently moved to the PNW. I was definitely hoping you would get SoCal to save you from the PNW weather.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-11-19, 11:35 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
+1 to box jumps
Old 12-11-19, 11:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by caloso
+1 to box jumps
Do you know there are jumping power formulas. If I jump 2 feet into the air (not a 24 inch box), it takes about 1000 watts.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-11-19, 12:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That makes sense. I used to do a lot of stair climbing and tried to work out a power formula. I just used the vertical between steps, my mass, and gravity of course.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-11-19, 04:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Jumping forumlaş

https://www.topendsports.com/testing...jump-power.htm
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-11-19, 05:10 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Fellow pacific northwester here. I hate the gym and my knees can’t take much running. Fortunately, it’s skate ski and cross country ski season here, maybe just a short trip from where you live. Plus, like cycling, you get to buy a whole bunch of gear and get into heated arguments over nothing, like the correct waxing technique for the snow conditions. Skate skiing uses a lot of the same muscle groups as cycling, it’s also low impact assume you don’t fall on your face.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 12-11-19, 05:26 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Kettlebells and a jump box. Then ride when not wet.
Old 12-12-19, 11:52 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
E-Motion rollers with Zwift, a structured training plan, and loud metal music is how I get through it. After about two weeks of riding indoors you don't hate it as much and you become more or less happy to be inside when it's nuking outside. The structured training plan actually makes the time fly by, as your ride gets broken up into a bunch of short chunks.

I also ride outside whenever things dry up, or hit the fendered gravel bike if it's not raining but things are still wet.
Old 12-13-19, 11:05 AM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I take spin class
Old 12-14-19, 01:21 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
thanks for the suggestions. where i'm at there are actually places where i can do box jumps, right next to the pull up bars next to the rec center. recently, i've been doing pushups, pullups, some core stuff, and running a little. could definitely do some 1 leg squats and box jumps to supplement that
Old 12-14-19, 01:22 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
In my running 10k days and training, I used 110 calories per mile. That seemed about right independent of the pace. For cycling I use 30 calories per mile. I am not sure that energy expended per mile is the right metric but I think it is indicative. So If you run 4 miles in 30 minutes, you would have to cycle 12 miles to expend the same energy. Level of effort is different. Although a 30 minute 12 mile time trial is pretty good.

With respect to the gym, I would suggest to add single leg presses and some jumping such as box jumps. One of the coaches I use suggests running up a hill and when you get to the top, do squat jumps.

As cyclists, our tendons and other infrastructure is not used to running and jumping so there is that to contend with.

As I remember you recently moved to the PNW. I was definitely hoping you would get SoCal to save you from the PNW weather.
yea that may be in the future for me down the road. for now, i'm happy where i'm at. california is expensive!
Old 12-14-19, 01:40 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
It is not raining constantly all winter. Time your rides by looking at a weather app that forecasts by the hour. I have a winter bike with full fenders, mud flaps and disc brakes. It keeps the ground water off you so you can stay dry. I also ride with a small backpack that I have spare gloves and a raincoat or vest in. If it does rain, the coat keeps you dry enough to get home. I also have a loop course that I do around where I live. I am never too far away from home.
Old 12-14-19, 05:06 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Time your rides by looking at a weather app that forecasts by the hour.
I use EpicRide Weather. Mostly to avoid rain and strong winds in more moderate weather, but it supports, Ride With GPS, Strava, etc. It gives a good, quick visual display of weather, by hour that includes temps, likelihood of precipitation, wind speed and direction. Very handy.