Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Very strange delivery

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Very strange delivery

Old 05-08-20, 10:37 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Very strange delivery

Back in January, 2018, I begin building my bike up from frame. I ordered a set of wheels online along with most other components. Everything arrived in a timely manner except for the wheels. Using the tracking number to follow the delivery on the website, the wheels seemed to have a disappeared. I Contacted the vendor who after going through their own investigation, sent a new set of wheels. All good? For me, yea.
Yesterday, a rare ring of the door bell and there was a box with the original wheel set, 28 months later.
Maybe with CoVid, many businesses are cleaning out their warehouses.
The vendor no longer carries this set. I wonder what they will want me to do with them?
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-08-20, 11:18 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I would contact them to let them know you recieved the package and see if they would like to retrieve it. I don't try to cheat karma.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 05-08-20, 11:33 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
There should be insurance on the delivery that they would have used and sending it back will be harder for you than it was for them and cost some money so likely not worth it for them or you. Delivery process is quite mysterious I get told something was just delivered but there is nothing on the camera so that shuts them up. Don't really trust these delivery services much lots of weird things go on.
Old 05-09-20, 12:45 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
There should be insurance on the delivery that they would have used and sending it back will be harder for you than it was for them and cost some money so likely not worth it for them or you. Delivery process is quite mysterious I get told something was just delivered but there is nothing on the camera so that shuts them up. Don't really trust these delivery services much lots of weird things go on.
That may be true, but I would still let the vendor know.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-09-20, 03:30 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I sent an email to the vendor.
I'm just trying to guess where that box was for almost 2 1/2 yrs
Maybe it was like the scene from 'The Postman'. The delivery truck went off the road and was never seen in the thick brush. Then one day, some hikers stumble across the truck and deliveries in the end were made.

I'm sure if they want the wheels back, they'll just send the courier to pick them up. It's quite common.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-09-20, 04:41 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Just sounds like a normal delivery time for USPS

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-09-20, 05:54 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Just sounds like a normal delivery time for USPS
USPS shipments have always been perfect for me, unlike UPS and FedEx who seem to consider it an acceptable delivery if they drop in anywhere within a quarter mile radius of my house.
Old 05-09-20, 06:04 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
USPS shipments have always been perfect for me, unlike UPS and FedEx who seem to consider it an acceptable delivery if they drop in anywhere within a quarter mile radius of my house.
Thats very true too

Old 05-09-20, 06:23 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think USPS deliveries are very dependent on the competency of your local post office. My Postmaster here was promoted to a job he is completely useless at, and screws up everything he touches. And of course he's rude, to cover up his incompetence, and the lobby opens and closes randomly when he feels working. Mail carriers look like junkies, it's a very dysfunctional place.

The nationwide USPS delivery system is actually pretty good, but it's all for naught if your local people don't care about doing their jobs conscientiously.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-09-20, 06:52 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Just keep them. At this point it is more hassle to them than worth. They have to pay for return shipping, receive and store obsolete wheels, sell them at a discount. Warehouse them and so on.

Everyone on the sellers side will just be annoyed.

Even regular returns often get destroyed or sold as "reconditioned". Legally they can't sell them as new, even if you didn't open the box.

After 2.5 years, I wouldn't have ethical issues.

I once got a double delivery of a custom made patio door curtain. I contacted the vendor and they said it keep it. There is no way they could have recovered return shipping cost and logistics by selling a used custom item. I ended up selling it for little $.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-09-20, 07:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
I’ll take them.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-09-20, 10:26 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yes, karma was already good to you - call the vendor, to see what they want.

You sure don't want karma doing a back flip on you!
Old 05-09-20, 10:53 AM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Not only delivery issues. I had a FedEx truck driver cut in front of me this week to make a right turn rather than wait 5 secs until I passed turn.
I yelled at him to learn how to drive and he yelled back some jerk comments back.
I got home called FedEx support # to complain about driver and never could connect to CS person after 3 attempts. First time waited 30 mins in queue and then rang for 2 mins and disconnected.
Things have gone downhill. Called several years ago about another one of their drivers and connected to rep within 5mins.
Likes For biker222:
Old 05-09-20, 07:15 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ll take them.
what size are they?
Old 05-09-20, 11:17 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me with a bib order from Wiggle a year ago, well before any Covid. The order was missing well past the expected delivery date. Wiggle told me that it's been lost in the mail, and sent me another package, which arrived without any issues. Six or seven months later the original package suddenly arrived as well. According to the tracking info, my first order of bibs spent several months sitting in Langley, England.

Contacted Wiggle. They granted me knighthood for my honesty and, surprisingly, asked me to ship the first order back at their expense, despite the fact that return shipping charges were quite high.
Old 05-10-20, 02:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I ordered a set of Planet Bike fenders through amazon recently. Package arrived when expected but, lo and behold, there were 4 sets of fenders in the box - one the size that I ordered and the other three different sizes of no use to me. Only charged for one. Arranged for free pickup 'of unexpected items' through Amazon. No problem for me.